I'm guessing that many athletes would not
by cincysubdomer (2021-01-04 16:54:13)

In reply to: All freshmen need to take either a finite math or...  posted by Kbyrnes

be prepared to take those classes because they were not properly prepared in high school.

were Weis's recruits able to handle those classes? *
by MrE  (2021-01-04 16:55:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea.
by cincysubdomer  (2021-01-04 17:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the pool of 4 and 5 star athletes with below ND academic standards, shall we say, is more than half of that group. Throw in the part that doesn't "want to play school" and the eligible recruits reduces further.

I have a neighbor who recently graduated from our local HS and was the top area player in baseball. He was offered a full ride to Vanderbilt. He chose to sign with the Red Sox and took the money. He said he never envisioned going to college. He did buy himself a nice Jeep.

does ND have any competitive advantages/uniques?
by MrE  (2021-01-04 17:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are there things ND can offer recruits that Alabama, Clemson, and USC can't?

Can ND position these things to land 3 straight top 6 classes like Charlie Weis did?

I don't know how you can look at a place like IMG Academy
by crazychester  (2021-01-04 17:18:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and say that the landscape is not changing.

I mean guys are moving with their entire families to Florida so they can get some sort of an edge playing HS football. There is no rule that says ND cant recruit those players and indeed they have. It just is a stark reminder that football is driving the bus before all other considerations. ND is asking for more out of its players other than vocational training.

Kelly's been a subpar recruiter for his entire career
by MrE  (2021-01-04 17:27:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he even admitted they were doing things wrong.

The issue is they are poor recruiters and can't make the football argument.

The issue of academics has been there for 50 years.

Do better at recruiting the best players.

Kelly can't and won't ever be able to.