good stuff, couple questions.
by MrE (2021-01-04 16:53:53)

In reply to: Alabama has increased enrollment by 12,000  posted by jbrown_9999

What is the application fee for a college these days? How many applications does Alabama take in year? Not that important, just curious what that stream is.

Are there any college or pro coaches that have heavy incentive-based contracts that you know of? Let's say the coach at LSU or the Arizona Cardinals has a $1.5 million base, but a handful of performance incentives that could reasonably get him to $4-$5M and then say a $20M incentive if they win the national title or Super Bowl. Seems like the variable comp component of college coaches is very limited (less than $500K) based on publicly available info.

83% acceptance rate
by fontoknow  (2021-01-04 17:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

enrolled 6.2K students in 2019.

accepted 32K on 39K apps.

App fee was $40. 39K apps generates ~1.6M in fee revenue. Most all of that will stay with admissions to pay for the costs of servicing those applications as well as the marketing activities to generate 39K applications.

Seems like a dangerous game to grow the school that much
by crazychester  (2021-01-04 18:21:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the back of a 70 year old football coach when youre offering a replacement level product.

Sounds like their could be a bunch of kids waking up in Tuscaloosa in 10 years wondering what the hell am I doing here?

Nah; only in-state kids take 10 years to graduate... *
by Rammer Jammer  (2021-01-05 00:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another question I have
by fontoknow  (2021-01-04 19:25:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is their push for out of state students limiting access to the school for in state minority and low income students?

I don't know, but if I lived in Bama, I would be concerned. Especially since I would guess many of the out of state students take jobs back in Texas, or in Atlanta, or in Nashville.

Alabama is doing it to create an alumni network
by irishrock  (2021-01-04 20:42:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

outside of the Southeast. Arkansas did it our area...gave kids who attended a high school in a state that bordered Arkansas in state tuition and then more scholarship money.

It worked in KC...Arkansas has built up a helluva alumni market here. Kansas is #1, Missouri a distant #2, and K-State is #3, but Arkansas is rising fast.

As to your other question, Auburn is also a public university...I've heard more for engineering and agriculture. My guess is someone at Alabama has figured that out of state tuition may be alright, but teaching a student costs the same regardless of which state they live...so might as well offer up in-state tuition and build up an alumni network elsewhere.

That doesn't really answer my question
by fontoknow  (2021-01-04 21:13:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

About minority and low income enrollment.

Good question. I have no facts to offer, but...
by Rammer Jammer  (2021-01-05 00:39:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...as the increase in enrollment has been solely if not entirely from out-of-state students paying
more (on average) than similarly qualified in-state students, my assumption is the two issues are not connected. If anything, higher fees from out-of-state students could (not saying they do, but they could) result in subsidizing lower income in-state students under a residual fee model...

Median ACT at Alabama is 27, while Auburn's is 28. For a
by VaDblDmr  (2021-01-04 22:29:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

state flagship, that's pretty modest. It's the same as UCF or U Cincinnati. Auburn's yield is also much higher, 29% to 21%.

So in sum, I don't think Alabama has suddenly become unduly restrictive for a state flagship in admissions.

sorry
by irishrock  (2021-01-04 22:05:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you'll have to look it up yourself. I was trying to fill you in on their strategy