Alabama is transparently using football to attract out of
by Freight Train (2021-01-04 15:45:17)

In reply to: It's been happening in Illinois for years  posted by El Kabong

state students to raise the academic profile of their university through student selectivity. They are throwing instate tuition, at least, at kids from the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic and they're using football to get their attention.

Sounds similar to what a small, Catholic school in Indiana once did.

It is well known in Atlanta area that you go for free to AL
by btd  (2021-01-04 20:09:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you are an A student with a decent ACT. All three of my kids have been recruited heavily by Alabama to go to their honors program, etc.

Fortunately, my kids were raised to hate Alabama (the entire SEC and ACC) and had other options. Unfortunately, I failed to get them to hate the ACC well enough (one graduated from Clemson, another is at FSU now, and a third just got rejected by ND -- so she likely is off to Pitt, Ga Tech or UNC for pre-med).

Are you saying that ND
by crazychester  (2021-01-04 16:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is no longer attracting qualified applicants ?

I think he's saying Bama is copying the Hesburgh strategy
by Jvan  (2021-01-04 16:34:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's flattering that they would copy the plan to use football to upgrade our academic standing. It worked out well for us.

Ohio State did this when Tressel was the HC. OSU was my
by NumberOneMoses  (2021-01-04 18:42:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fallback school in 1998, I wouldn’t get in today.

Correct. Out of state enrollment % has risen from 30% to 60%
by Freight Train  (2021-01-04 16:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since 2010. They are using football to increase admissions from HS students in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic, both of which have much better academic profiles than HS students from Alabama. More importantly, while the cream of the out of state crop will pay no more than instate tuition, the average out of state student a) has a better academic profile than the average Alabama HS student and b) they'll pay higher tuition, which will continue to fund the growth of the university.

Tennessee and South Carolina are attempting the same, although without the tailwind of football. Clemson is to a lesser extent, not throwing as much tuition remission at out of state students as the other two, and not as much as they used to do. Clemson improved their academic rep before the football went wild and now, with football as a tailwind, they don't need to throw as much tuition remission anymore at out of staters. I suspect Alabama will start reeling it in soon as well.

Hey, my sister got 4 S.C. wins over Clemson
by shea  (2021-01-04 21:29:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a student, but you're right that they're not using a football tailwind. She went because she got a good scholarship offer. It was there or Binghamton for the same price. She chose the adventure.

She did not know anything about their football team when she set foot on campus, though. She didn't know what a Clemson was!

I wonder if they track out-of-state graduates.
by squid  (2021-01-04 20:32:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Expensive to educate the kids of the Midwest and Atlanta if they just return there after graduation.

They don't need to waste time tracking. They are 99.9%
by btd  (2021-01-04 20:45:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

certain none of them are staying. Alabama does not have cities that attract many people to move there -- especially young, single ones.

They want the school as a whole to be higher ranked -- for whatever that is worth. Giving away free spots to 200-500 kids per year from out of state that have ACT scores in the 30's and GPAs in the 94% or above range doesn't really cost them anything significant. They give room and board away. The spot in a classroom is a sunk cost with or without them there.

Someone did the calculus and deemed getting the school into the US News top 50 rankings has enough ROI. They aren't there yet -- partly because the other schools in the region are doing the exact same thing and are winning most of the battles for these students.

The honors program at SC, Clemson, FSU, Alabama
by btd  (2021-01-04 20:17:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all mean you go to college there for free. They recruit the hell out of the top high schools in north Atlanta -- where my kids all went (one graduating this year).

For my oldest, she went to Clemson and got 7k per year -- but was not honors (she wrongly didn't apply for it -- or she would have gone for free). She was offered honors at Alabama and South Carolina (free).

My second daughter wasn't as elite a student, but still was offered in state at Alabama and over 50% at South Carolina. She went to Florida State -- I am a FL resident, so in state there is nearly free.

My youngest is graduating this year. Alabama sent her a letter guaranteeing she would go there for free if she'd apply. LSU (free). FSU (free). SC (Free). She did not apply to Clemson. She's not going to any of them -- they all were safety schools for her, but Alabama is pulling a pile here simply because it is free to go there and UGA can't take enough GA students --- its free to go to college in Georgia if you are a B student or above, so nearly impossible for all of them to get into UGA.

FYI -- St. Mary's isn't what it used to be either. They now have engineering and other majors jointly with ND (where you overtly take your final 3 years entirely at ND -- but graduate from St. Marys). They offered daughter two 25k per year (partly to play tennis) and daughter three just got offered 28k per year to go there.

Congrats on your kids! They don’t give the free stuff to
by Freight Train  (2021-01-05 00:15:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everybody. My son was just admitted to SC Honors. All I know so far from his admit letter is he will pay no more than instate tuition. More details coming in March. 34 ACT, 95% grade average from a top Catholic HS in Ohio.

Surprised to hear you already know your senior can go for free. That’s impressive!

I mentally struggle with SC, but I have been told by many
by btd  (2021-01-05 13:17:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that their honors program is very good. I know quite a few people over the years that opted to take the free SC deal versus paying to go to Duke, etc. I was shocked anyone would do that, but as I have reached the time where I am paying to send my kids to college I realize that free honors at SC or 65k at Duke perhaps isn't as hard a choice as I thought.

My daughter just got rejected by ND (my last one -- so 0 for 3). I wanted her to get in, but I more than once was struggling with the reality that she can go to for 6k per year to Florida (#30 per US News), free to Ga Tech (around 30th), free to Temple (actually they also give her 4k spending money), free to SC, about 60% off to St. Marys, Pitt at about half price of ND -- or go to ND for 80k per year. ND solved that by rejecting her unfortunately.

interesting, so kind of a fish-hook strategy.
by MrE  (2021-01-04 17:18:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lure the payers from Illinois, etc. by having them follow their peers (non-payers) from Illinois, etc.

No. Its purely to raise the rank of the college as a whole
by btd  (2021-01-04 20:23:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was shocked how well it has worked for a lot of colleges in the region. Go look at US News college rankings. You likely will be shocked to see Florida ranked #30 (ND #19). I was very surprised Clemson was in the 50's and Florida State has climbed about 75 spots in 5 years.

They are all very overtly throwing money at the kids scoring 30+ on ACT and A students as a means to get them to go and to increase their rankings. The honors programs at these schools offer living perks, free ride, etc.

See it now, I read snark that wasnt there *
by crazychester  (2021-01-04 16:39:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My thoughts exactly, and more power to them. *
by milhouse  (2021-01-04 16:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post