Kelly Called out ND Nation by Name?
by JTG (2021-01-02 16:13:08)

I know he probably meant "ND nation" generically, but...

“Notre Dame nation: you guys can get some sleep, recharge our batteries and we’re going to be back in this position again so you don’t need to jump off a bridge,” Kelly shared as his message to the Notre Dame fanbase, per Miles Garrett of WSBT.

Sounds like BK is gunning for Bonger’s job *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-01-02 17:31:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK is concerned Urban Meyer might grab El K's spot. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-01-02 18:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm quite sure he meant it generically *
by El Kabong  (2021-01-02 16:21:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don’t give in - claim the trademark - sue him until he
by DakotaDomer  (2021-01-02 18:12:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Starts yelling at hot dog machines.

I agree *
by ACross  (2021-01-02 16:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now, if he had worked in something about "the lads" or
by jt  (2021-01-02 17:12:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Our Lady's University" or some combination of the two, you'd know that he was trolling this site.

"It isn't 1988 anymore!" *
by JTG  (2021-01-02 23:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“If the team had half the hard focus of Fat Eddie...” *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-01-02 19:18:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did say to Jack Nolan after the game...
by Irishdemon  (2021-01-02 18:40:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Look, Ara had blowouts too.”

I kid.

what about, "I'd prefer ND give up football than..." *
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 17:35:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“And if that Brunomars or Giggity-diggity or that Dolphin or
by inigomontoya  (2021-01-02 17:21:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that 1NDchick, don’t like what I’m doing here they can kiss my purple ass!”

does anybody at NDN think ND will be back to the playoffs
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 16:19:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

next year?

with a 1st year starter at QB? (I mean Ohio State or Alabama could, but ND?)

with so many new starters on the OLine?

With so few playmakers at WR?

With so few difference makers among our DB's?

I don't expect to see ND back to the playoffs ever again
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-01-02 16:53:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist, but I think they've bungled any shot of getting back. At least in my lifetime.

This is silly
by KeoughCharles05  (2021-01-03 10:45:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In terms of national perception, I think we're regarded as as good as anyone outside of Bama, tOSU, or Clemson.

Our issues are mostly real at this point, and not perception. I actually like the identity we built this year. It's one we can recruit to and replicate year after year. To break through we need this recipe plus a WR that defenses actually have to account for (and we've had one every year under Kelly except this year, so it's not that odd), and a QB who is capable of stretching the defense.

Next year we'll likely need to go undefeated to go. In 2022, we could split with OSU and Clemson, so long as the loss is somewhat competitive.

In 2012 and 2018,we weren't close to competing with the big boys. We were this year. It's obnoxious it's taken this long, but we are actually close. The oline, our tight ends, and Kyren Williams are absolutely there.

Do you feel the same way about Oklahoma?
by rockmcd  (2021-01-03 01:46:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They seem to be in the same boat as ND, getting blown out in the first half of playoff games by Clemson and Alabama (and LSU), and losing a nailbiter to Georgia. The date of their last national championship is much closer to 1998 than it is to 2021.

That's a bit hyperbolic
by NavyJoe  (2021-01-02 17:22:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An undefeated ND team will make the playoff. A one-loss ND team in 2022/2023 would have an inside track on making the playoff, depending upon which team the loss is to and the nature thereof.

Schedule next year—5 toss-up games, so very unlikely
by inigomontoya  (2021-01-02 17:17:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A one loss ND team should not get in for a very long time. This year was unusual because of Covid and truncated schedules for so many teams.

09/05 @ Florida St. WIN
09/11 Toledo WIN
09/18 Purdue WIN
09/25 VS Wisconsin (Soldier Field) MAYBE
10/02 Cincinnati MAYBE
10/09 @ Virginia Tech MAYBE
10/23 S. Cal MAYBE
10/30 North Carolina MAYBE
11/06 Navy WIN
11/13 @ Virginia WIN
11/20 Georgia Tech WIN
11/27 @ Stanford WIN

That schedule wouldn't support a one-loss ND team getting in
by NavyJoe  (2021-01-02 17:25:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a pretty weak schedule, IMO.

In what world is 4-5 ranked teams is too weak?
by Catdog2  (2021-01-02 18:10:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Next year all of USC, Va Tech, Miami and Wisconsin will likely be ranked, along with 1 other team as well.

If ND goes 11-1 they will have a strong shot at the playoffs depending on how things shake out.

Take a look around the country at other teams schedules. ND almost always has a harder schedule than most.

There will be no marquee win to compensate for a loss
by NavyJoe  (2021-01-02 18:14:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not convinced that Wiscy, USC, or VT (?) will be good next year. If 5 of those teams are ranked, they will be ranked 10 - 25.

Cincy might be the best team we face.

One-loss teams make the playoffs when they beat Top-5 teams. That isn't going to happen next year.

Yes way too pessimistic 😁 *
by Vairishfan1  (2021-01-02 16:56:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know maybe he is 95 *
by dwjm3  (2021-01-02 16:58:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would explain a number of things. *
by ribs  (2021-01-02 18:24:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has he stopped buying green bananas? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-01-02 17:07:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With so many blowouts in big bowls? *
by wiNDycityfan  (2021-01-02 16:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'd have to be undefeated. No more 1-loss teams getting in
by milhouse  (2021-01-02 16:57:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over another qualified 1-loss team.

That's too broad a statement
by NavyJoe  (2021-01-02 17:18:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look at the schedule in 2022 and 2023.

A one loss ND team can make the playoff if it plays OSU, Clemson, UNC, & USC and beats three of the four.

Don't forget a giant question mark at DC *
by gregmorrissey  (2021-01-02 16:31:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly's got his guy lined up: Elston or Schmidt. *
by Brahms  (2021-01-02 16:47:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Schmidt? Are my sarcasm batteries dead?
by gregmorrissey  (2021-01-02 17:16:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think he's coaching is he? I thought he was a startup/VC guy in the Bay area. I saw his name thrown around a few weeks ago when the Lea-to-Vanderbilt story first broke and assumed it was sarcasm because of Kelly's bullshit hiring strategy. Of course, not being in the profession probably isn't a deal breaker for Kelly.

Kelly would like us to know he will win it all in year 15
by dwjm3  (2021-01-02 16:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The stars are really going to align.