Pollack reports Sark has turned down Texas
by BigEND (2021-01-02 13:37:46)

He doesn’t know jack shit. Other networks are reporting
by 84david  (2021-01-02 17:20:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that UT hired Sark.

Pollack was wrong. Just became official, Sark to Texas *
by Buckyd9  (2021-01-02 16:48:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm surprised UT didn't at least reach out to Shanahan
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 14:57:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's an alum, he's a strong name, the $ would matter to him, and I think he'd be good in the college game.

I understand the allure of the NFL, for sure. But I'm surprised that he didn't get a call. (and maybe he did)

Kyle? No chance. Mike might be interested *
by jt  (2021-01-02 16:18:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK probably couldn’t have screwed up that SB. 28-3 it was. *
by 93NationalChampions  (2021-01-02 15:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He unequivocally does not want to leave the NFL. *
by 512  (2021-01-02 15:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't follow him too much, but am not surprised
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 15:06:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more than one NFL coach has said they want to coach the very best players in all of football...and that's why college isn't as attractive as the NFL

Recruiting would be soul sucking to me.
by Tex Francisco  (2021-01-02 15:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The idea of a bunch of grown men groveling at the feet of a bunch of 17 year old prima donnas is very off putting to me even just as a fan. I feel like I would have too much dignity and self respect to ever actually be one of those grovelers. I'm guessing the majority of NFL coaches share my sentiment.

Probably so. On the other hand, if you can
by Jaxdulac  (2021-01-02 15:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tolerate that aspect without repeatedly throwing up in your mouth, college gives you the potential to have all 25 of the first 25 picks in the draft. All figuratively speaking, of course, but recruiting doesn't relegate you and the other programs to one pick each in a round robin format. You can be greedy. The talent disparity among NFL teams isn't all that great, top to bottom. In college, if you're at an elite program and prove yourself an elite recruiter, you could have demonstrably more talent than all but 5 or 6 other programs.

I've read that cfb is a 12 month job
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 15:20:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

whereas the NFL gets a good six to eight weeks off. I've got a buddy who was an assistant NFL coach. He said, the season is an absolute grind from Aug 1st to the end of the season. That one player had forgotten something and went back to the locker room at 8pm to see all the coaches still working and said something to the effect of, "what are you guys still doing here?" "Hey, we're here for another three hours"

At the conclusion of the season, there is a review of all film from the season and grading out the players (again), getting ready for the Combine, and then putting the minicamp agendas along with training camp agendas together. But the minute the last mini-camp ends, they are off until training camp. I asked, "what do you mean you're off?" He said, no checking of emails, no checking of voicemails...just show up at 5:00 the evening training camp check-in starts. So he'd take the month of June and July to travel all over the country with his family.

I thought I read where Stoops had a frustration that they lost their time off, that recruiting and football camps were non-stop during the normal slow summer. So while the NFL might be a 10 month job, the college guys are going 12 months out of the year...not to mention the old college days where the month of January was spent on the road recruiting and closing down the recruiting class.

Texas has become a toxic program
by Jvan  (2021-01-02 14:47:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the big money men around the program have only themselves to blame.

I totally agree with this. Herman was slowly changing the
by eriendfan  (2021-01-02 17:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

culture but that takes more time than people think.

And more time than the big boosters want to give him.

Texas will continue to bea dumpster fire. All because of the toxic culture.

Kelly would be a home run hire. Nobody can win at ND *
by Freight Train  (2021-01-02 14:46:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, Feldman countering Pollack (link)
by BigEND  (2021-01-02 14:37:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bruce Feldman is refuting Pollacks comment. *
by 512  (2021-01-02 14:36:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Negotiatin’! *
by 1NDGal  (2021-01-02 16:18:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So you are saying there is a chance? Kelly can show the
by Inigomontoya  (2021-01-02 14:34:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

doubters!!!

Pleeeese take him. Tired of contending for #4 in the country *
by Wolfetone  (2021-01-02 14:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2012 ND didn't just contend for #4
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-01-02 14:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They finished #4! Made your day, didn't I?

Oh sweet Christ
by bostonirish  (2021-01-02 14:31:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please let it happen

As much as I think ND should move on from BK
by Bmoreirish  (2021-01-02 14:39:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is no way they are currently prepared for it in this fashion.

Fickell is sitting there to be had
by BigEND  (2021-01-02 14:42:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We could do worse. At this point, I’d take Fickell over BK.

I would take Fickell in a heartbeat over BK.
by GolfJunkie17  (2021-01-02 16:02:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm willing to risk missing out on all the glorious 10 win seasons we've had under Kelly for a chance at maybe actually beating a good team.

Luke Fickell...
by Exit_77  (2021-01-02 15:02:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is a very good coach. Set aside the obvious Cincinnati connection (and B Kelly) for a moment, he has a great college football background.

He played for John Cooper, coached under Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer. He accepted a difficult position of being interim head coach at Ohio St in 2011 when Tressel was dismissed. And was rewarded with a position on Urban Meyer’s staff.

He has strong relationships in the state of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana that he has cultivated over a long period of time. Cincinnati will never out recruit Ohio St for the top players in the region but he’s done very well at finding the next level of athletes and then coaching them up.

If provided a larger platform like ND, I suspect he’d be able to recruit elite players and coach them very well. And have a lot of success.

Not sure if ND would take him. And I’m not sure he’s interested in leaving Cincinnati anytime soon.

But he’s a very good coach. And will continue to do very well no matter where he coaches.

Einhorn also available *
by Ajax  (2021-01-02 14:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Einhorn is Finkle. Finkle is Einhorn. *
by ndstein04  (2021-01-02 19:30:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Laces out *
by meatwhistle  (2021-01-02 16:42:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

[golf clap] *
by milhouse  (2021-01-02 14:53:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FWIW - Chip Brown disagrees
by Irishdemon  (2021-01-02 13:46:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could Sark have changed his mind after this Brown tweet and Pollock’s info is more current? Maybe but Brown is about as dialed in as they come with UT.

I can’t think of one good reason why he would turn down Texas. Money, prestige, chance to win a national championship and a chance to be a head coach again? It checks every box.

If Bama indicates he’s the coach in waiting...
by NavyJoe  (2021-01-02 14:09:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that could be enough of a reason.

Saban doesn’t appear to be slowing down.
by Irishdemon  (2021-01-02 14:30:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It could be a long wait.

Not to mention, Alabama will undoubtedly try and bring Dabo home when Saban does retire.

Josh McDaniels waiting for Belichick spot. It happens. *
by Inigomontoya  (2021-01-02 14:37:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speaking of head coaches in waiting...
by skeptic  (2021-01-02 14:22:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember when people were predicting/suggesting that Clark Lea or Tommy Rees were in line at Notre Dame? How comical does that seem right now?

If BK does go to Texas (oh please), let’s just hope that Saavy has one or two better ideas.

Luke Fickell would love to be at ND.
by irish2x  (2021-01-02 16:20:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As it is, we would likely hire Dave Clawson.

Fickell would be high on my list
by BIG MAC  (2021-01-02 21:40:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I thought he was strictly Ohio State or Michigan.

Who's to say it's not still Rees (or Elston) ?
by Brahms  (2021-01-02 14:30:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, seriously: ND is just about that out of it's head when it comes to managing the FB program.

Texas would solve Kelly’s recruiting issue
by Brahms  (2021-01-02 13:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He wouldn’t have to work that hard to do rather well.

If BK was truly offered UT and turned it down, it means...
by revressbo  (2021-01-02 15:15:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

either a) he thinks he can recruit at an equal or better level at ND compared to Texas, which would seem to invalidate all the (untrue) narratives we've heard about program restrictions, academics and whatnot; or b) he doesn't have the ambition and/or knows he doesn't have the ability to win a national championship, and that is what's expected at Texas and not at ND. He and the administration are happy cruising to 10 wins per year at ND but never being truly competitive on the national stage.

Either a or b must be true for him to have turned UT down if he was offered it. Either that, or he's one of the 1% of people on this planet who'd rather live in South Bend than Austin.

He's sitting there just watching the expectations at Texas
by GolfJunkie17  (2021-01-02 16:05:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on display for all to see, and chuckling to himself (after another stinker on the big stage) thinking about how good he's got it right where he's at.

He'd do well there.
by NDMike2001  (2021-01-02 14:36:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s essentially Mack Brown - but significantly less likable I suppose. But he has shown he can beat Oklahoma. And TX recruits would love his sales pitch. Kelly is much more suited for TX than he is Notre Dame. Much.

Dead Mack Brown would recruit better than alive Brian Kelly. *
by NDBass  (2021-01-02 15:10:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yet hed still recruit much better there. *
by NDMike2001  (2021-01-02 15:35:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Need to win big or get fired. Big salary though
by 1978Irish  (2021-01-02 13:59:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Supposedly Sark is waiting for Saben to quit. Might wait a while.

Does Kelly need more money at this point ?
by Brahms  (2021-01-02 14:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He'd leave ND in 3-5 years anyway. He could last 3 years at Texas.

He'd get to thumb his nose at a fan base (ND) who just can't seem to appreciate his genius. He'd be, I think, the first ND coach to voluntarily leave for another big-time gig.

And, he'd get a jet...

Football coach, yes *
by El Kabong  (2021-01-02 14:30:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post