Recruits aren’t dumb
by HTownND (2021-01-02 11:17:14)
Edited on 2021-01-02 11:19:58

In reply to: Did Holtz really worry about Navy?  posted by NDMike2001

They watch the games.

And if that was the intent. Given the national coverage it just blew up in his face.

How did Michigan do?
by NDMike2001  (2021-01-02 11:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess we’ll see.

Notre Dame is going to face negative recruiting everywhere they’ll go. Yes, we’d all prefer to win. Or not get blown own. Yet I didn’t meet a realistic fan that didn’t think a blow out was more likely than not. And Kelly’s narrative about knocking on the door started before the game.

So yes, the same story was going to be out there or not regardless of his press conference. Now he goes to recruits with that “edge” and asks whether they want to play for the school playing in the game or the one bitching about Notre Dame playing in the game. Again, he has do something differently. And humble is exactly his forte.

But, one key point here
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-01-02 11:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Recruits aren't dumb. Agreed. But, ND is rarely winning the battles against Alabama, OSU and Clemson, and they're really trying to keep up with all the others to get in that 4-6 range every year. So, I think Kelly (knowing this) is really trying to point out what he HAS accomplished. Getting ND to the dance (only to have it turn out like Carrie at the prom).

Recruits are being wooed with the idea that they're the key to getting over that hump. They're still young, idealistic kids. They believe that stuff.

If ND is competing with (for example only) Wisconsin, Texas and Tennessee for a recruit, I think the recruit can look at where they have the best chance to get to the CFP and honestly believe it's ND.

Not saying it's going to get us where we want to go, but there is a method to the madness of the message which I believe certain recruits will buy.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say. *
by IrishGeek  (2021-01-02 13:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh well *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-01-02 14:24:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some will buy that
by HTownND  (2021-01-02 11:31:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some actually want to win the games and go to the NFL and get paid and gettin there won’t sell.