The problem with the press conference is this
by HTownND (2021-01-02 10:28:26)
Edited on 2021-01-02 10:32:57

In reply to: If it had been any other coach besides Kelly  posted by Camarillo Brillo

Kelly talks openly about winning titles as the goal. While that’s my expectation, he states it openly.

Once again he fell short in a non competitive game, following the same thing happening in the ACC title game.

His response and being pissed off is fine. I’m glad he’s tired of the question. He should be.

But they are fair questions if:

- you actually expect to win titles

We are at the tipping point here. If the actual expectation isn’t to win titles, then explaining that gap gets annoying. But we are finally seeing the wedge. For many ND fans and people at the school, this is all just fine. We can’t be expected to beat the Alabama’s and Clemsons of the world in this situation (although the regular season win sans Lawrence will get trotted out again and again as some sort of quasi evidence we can win these games). We can’t recruit the same players, our academics are too tough, and this is all just a new normal that we have to adjust to and begrudgingly accept. This is the best ND can possibly be expected to do given reality.

If you think that, then his response is perfect, because you agree with him. You are tired of explaining to people why this is good enough. You are tired of high expectations, and demanding too much. People just need to accept this is the best ND can be in this new world.

And if that’s the case, Jack and Brian need to change the narrative themselves and say winning titles isn’t the expectation (because just showing up every few years isn’t going to magically help us get lucky and actually win one of these games). You need to level set with people that this is the best it’s going to get.

But I get it. Our coach and a lot of fans are pissed that they have to explain yet again, why we shouldn't be disappointed, this was a great season and it’s as good as it’s going to get. But that’s on Kelly because he talks about titles, and once again, came up very short of that goal. So the question is this. Is that really the goal?

If yes, he needs to figure out that question
If no, it’s an annoying question and we should all just be thankful we got invited.

How he and ND folks respond tell you everything you need to know about where they stand in respect to that question. Is winning the title the goal or not?

Why the false dichotomy?
by NDMike2001  (2021-01-02 10:43:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just because he hasn’t recruited to the level necessary to win a championship does not mean that’s not his goal. I truly think it is. I just don’t think he’s capable.

If it is the goal
by HTownND  (2021-01-02 10:54:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can’t be pissed about the question, which was basically, what do you have to do to close the gap and actually win two of these games, aka, achieve the goal.

It’s a completely fair question.

Did Holtz really worry about Navy?
by NDMike2001  (2021-01-02 11:08:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think what Kelly is doing is pretty obvious. He consistently recruits at a 10-15 level. Yet ND is playing in the top 4 with relative consistency, and despite 7-10 other schools trying to get in every year or so.

He knows it’s a legitimate question. But he’s trying to drive the counter narrative that ND is at least always knocking at the door. If that helps him recruit more in the 4-8 range then good for him. What he’s tried so far hasn’t worked.

Recruits aren’t dumb
by HTownND  (2021-01-02 11:17:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They watch the games.

And if that was the intent. Given the national coverage it just blew up in his face.

How did Michigan do?
by NDMike2001  (2021-01-02 11:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess we’ll see.

Notre Dame is going to face negative recruiting everywhere they’ll go. Yes, we’d all prefer to win. Or not get blown own. Yet I didn’t meet a realistic fan that didn’t think a blow out was more likely than not. And Kelly’s narrative about knocking on the door started before the game.

So yes, the same story was going to be out there or not regardless of his press conference. Now he goes to recruits with that “edge” and asks whether they want to play for the school playing in the game or the one bitching about Notre Dame playing in the game. Again, he has do something differently. And humble is exactly his forte.

But, one key point here
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-01-02 11:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Recruits aren't dumb. Agreed. But, ND is rarely winning the battles against Alabama, OSU and Clemson, and they're really trying to keep up with all the others to get in that 4-6 range every year. So, I think Kelly (knowing this) is really trying to point out what he HAS accomplished. Getting ND to the dance (only to have it turn out like Carrie at the prom).

Recruits are being wooed with the idea that they're the key to getting over that hump. They're still young, idealistic kids. They believe that stuff.

If ND is competing with (for example only) Wisconsin, Texas and Tennessee for a recruit, I think the recruit can look at where they have the best chance to get to the CFP and honestly believe it's ND.

Not saying it's going to get us where we want to go, but there is a method to the madness of the message which I believe certain recruits will buy.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say. *
by IrishGeek  (2021-01-02 13:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh well *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-01-02 14:24:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some will buy that
by HTownND  (2021-01-02 11:31:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some actually want to win the games and go to the NFL and get paid and gettin there won’t sell.