I have heard from a few very good sources
by jt (2021-01-01 12:34:30)

In reply to: AP: "Superpowers hoard talent, leaving ND, others behind"  posted by G.K.Chesterton

that they top teams are looking to break from the NCAA for football. Right now it appears to be the entire power 5, but from what I understand there is a lot of concern for bringing some teams among those power 5 conferences that can't keep up. Many of the Pac 12 schools, for example.

I do believe that there is going to be a split soon. There is too much of a discrepancy and not a lot of shared values, IMO.

Then what about the ncaa tournament
by ryND  (2021-01-01 12:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will the P5 be okay with that split with the NCAA?

Football only
by jt  (2021-01-01 13:20:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I wrote in the first sentence, my man.

Why would the NCAA allow them in for other sports? *
by Legacy  (2021-01-01 13:25:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Money *
by NDBass  (2021-01-01 13:28:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would lose Cinderella
by Groundhog  (2021-01-01 13:11:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And to a ton of fans, both diehards and casual, a lot of its charm. I think a Power 5-only basketball tournament would be fairly uninteresting.

As B20 has pointed out while home on Xmas break,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-01-01 13:38:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

moving to 6 or 8 times in the playoffs would increase the Cinderella factor. That will still be true even if non-P5 teams are excluded.

Which is why the change would be football only *
by jt  (2021-01-01 13:23:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post