This looks like you set out to bash ND recruiting
by Exit 77 (2020-12-23 17:03:45)

In reply to: 5 Yrs Recruiting Rankings: ND #14 & Top 75 - Link to Charts  posted by Hickster

and assembled a bunch of data and used it to bash Kelly and ND recruiting.

Alternate view....While ND is around top 10-14 in recruiting, they've made the playoffs twice. They seem to be getting quite a bit out of the players they land. Are they at the Alabama, Ohio State level? No, very few are. ND is more like Oklahoma in terms of talent. Playoff results would indicate that as well.

Can recruiting get better? Probably.

No. You establish the data with facts -not alternative facts
by Hickster  (2020-12-23 17:28:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and then you make your observations. You can make your own, and I made mine with supporting data. It is obvious that ND’s recruiting is underperforming.

I think that Coach Kelly is finally getting it when he said ND needs to attain Top 5 recruiting. Unfortunately it should not have taken him 10+ years to realize that. This year hurt due to the pandemic, but the loss of recruiting momentum after 3 years was a huge mistake, that he has to own. As a national recruiting school, BK did not establish ND recruiting to help overcome most of issues of the pandemic

ND is not that close to Oklahoma in recruiting, but closer to them than the Top 5 teams. In 2021 ND is #8 with 27 recruits and Oklahoma is #9 with 16 recruits (11 fewer recruits). Which class is better in quality and has room for more.recruits in 2021 and for a lot more quality recruits in 2022.

Personally, I think that he is doing the right thing by having his coordinators do the primary game planning, he got good results from his last 2 choices and I hope he gets the right DC.

Agree ND should recruit much better. Agree that
by Homeboy73  (2020-12-23 18:12:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we do better than expected based solely on our recruiting results.

No we don’t. We don’t play anyone *
by cards86  (2020-12-23 19:48:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I gave you an alternate view, not alternate facts
by Exit 77  (2020-12-23 17:37:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What in your view is the consistently attainable ceiling for BK and ND recruiting. What do BK and ND need to do to attain that?

Your initial post was accusing me of wanting to bash ND
by Hickster  (2020-12-23 21:32:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...recruiting and then found facts to back it up. I did not cherry pick the facts but lined up almost all the data points, and my views were based on those data points.

Oklahoma’s recruiting is better than ND’s in getting more quality recruits 5 5-Stars vs. ND’s 2 and 64 4-Stars vs. ND’s 57. Also Oklahoma has a reputation of developing their QBs, which has a big impact in getting other higher level recruits when they recruit an elite QB.

Oklahoma’s results are much better than ND’s. Oklahoma has won the Big 12 Championship the last 6 years 2015 - 20. They have been in the last 3 CFP, and although lost in the 1st round, 2 of the 3 games were competitive and showed they belonged with the “Big Boys,” which cannot be said for ND:
- 2017: Georgia 54-48 (2OT)
- 2018: Alabama 45-34
- 2019: LSU 63-28

Oklahoma’s previous Coach Bob Stoop 1999 to 2016 went to a bowl game every one of his 18 years. He played in 13 Major Bowls and won 6 of them, including a NC in 2000 and in 2009 lost in the NC game to Florida 24-14 (the score was 14-7 going into the 4th quarter), they showed they belonged.

You asked how does ND improve? With ND’s tradition is first give a “damn.”
1. Need to really care about recruiting and have the coach and his staff completely dedicated to improve recruiting (past recruits said ND and specifically BK was not following up with interest and went elsewhere). If BK was not completely dedicated to recruiting, then how do you expect his staff to be dedicated to it?
2. Hold the coach and his staff accountable for their efforts and results. AD JW seems content, since BK’s results are a reflection of his performance - hence not a very challenging schedule - USC not playing well is not a scheduling issue.
3. Win your fair share of meaningful games - not done (Clemson was more of the exception Than the rule.- a great win, but far too few.
4 Do not get blown out by top teams (Clemson 2002 Part 2 was more the rule than the exception.
5. Don’t lose to easy teams (I.e. Tulsa (Recruiting ranked #100)
6. Don’t hide behind soft schedules and declare victory to goals, which applies even more to ND’s AD. Lower the expectations with weaker schedules and more games, and then declare winning 10 games is wonderful.

It is critical that ND makes a good showing against Alabama, in the upcoming Rose Bowl to be able try and reverse our standing in recruiting top players.

However, my biggest concern in you initial reply is that ND recruiting at #14 level seems close to appropriate, with your last comments of, “Can recruiting get better? Probably.” IMO that answer should be, “Definitely and substantially,”

Great post. *
by DawsonMayes871  (2020-12-24 09:46:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recruiting at #14 is near the bottom for ND.
by MrE  (2020-12-23 22:46:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are approx. 17 other programs that are in ND's peer group; ND should never, ever drop below a #18 ranked class.

As others have pointed out, the gulf between the haves and the have-nots continues, and may be widening.

ND is on the right side of the gulf in terms of being in that tier of 18, but needs to push its way into the cartel at the very top.

Red flags abound when these programs drop below the top ~18 (like USC's disaster of a class last season), or consistently finish in the 12-18 range.