I'll disagree with this somewhat.
by smithwick (2020-12-23 13:15:17)

In reply to: One recent excuse I think that does have merit  posted by mocopdx

Lots of kids visit ND and don't commit to ND. I don't think ND's official visit hit rate on kids is any higher than other powers.

I do think ND getting kids on campus may be more impactful for kids to determine if ND is a fit or not. I would imagine there are an equal number of kids who visit who realize ND is not what they're looking for in a school.

So net-net, I don't believe official visits would have resulted in us landing more players, but I do believe it could have an impact on kids maybe transferring down the road because they liked the idea of ND more than the campus and environment.

That’s not quite the argument here
by Jvan  (2020-12-23 15:45:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, players visit ND and do not choose to come. The other side of that equation regarding players (especially elite ones) has two elements. First is that ND has virtually no shot at a recruit who doesn’t visit. Second is that such visits usually require an airplane ride or long car trip. These didn’t happen in 2020.

ND also does a lot more for recruits when they visit than just talk football. They show them the academic and student life aspects in some detail, while managing to dispel the negative notions that other coaches have put in their heads about ND. They open the eyes of a lot of kids and also get to determine which ones are cultural fits. Not having that ability this year definitely cost them. One casualty was Will Shipley but there were others as well.

ND received commitments from 19 players since May 9
by MrE  (2020-12-23 15:52:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Georgia, New Jersey, California, Florida, Hawaii, California again, Florida again, Georgia again, Georgia again, California again, Tennessee, California again, Maryland, Rhode Island among them.

Seems like out-of-area kids flocked to sign with ND.

Most had already been to campus
by Jvan  (2020-12-23 15:58:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Zoom calls helped in some cases, but they could not cover the full range of academic and social interaction that helps sell recruits and their families, especially from distant locations. We definitely lost out on a few kids this way, whether you choose to believe it or not.