I estimate 82/100 2021 Top 100 prospects match.
by rkellyatrecess (2020-12-23 10:58:16)

In reply to: For Hanratty and others that follow recruiting  posted by cards86

I used the 247 Composite rankings, which are linked.

In order to determine whether a player had the necessary academic credentials, I looked for offers from schools with similar or higher admission standards for football players. The offers I used were Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, Vanderbilt, Virginia, and Boston College. Other than Virginia, I did not use any public schools, because they more often make an exception on academic profile. I excluded Baylor for the same reason. My methodology would not exclude someone who had an offer, but that offer was contingent on academic improvement.

The Top 100 prospects who did not have an offer from any of the designated programs are:

#7 OT Amarius Sims. Cochran, GA (Georgia signee).
#10 DT Leonard Taylor. Miami, FL (Miami signee).
#16 LB Terrence Lewis. Opa Locka, FL (Unsigned).
#20 LB Xavian Storey. IMG Academy (Georgia signee).
#31 DE Shemar Turner. DeSoto, TX (Texas A&M signee).
#34 WR Jacorey Brooks. IMG Academy (Alabama signee).
#36 WR Troy Franklin. Menlo Park, CA (Oregon signee).
#48 WR JoJo Earle. Aledo, TX (Alabama signee).
#49 OL Mike Hall. Streetsboro, OH (Ohio St. signee).
#56 WR Agiye Hall. Valrico, FL (Alabama signee).
#62 OL Savion Bryd. Duncanville, TX (Oklahoma signee).
#64 DE Demeioun Robinson. Gaithersburg, MD (Maryland signee).
#70 WR Deion Smith. Jackson, MS (LSU signee).
#75 WR Chris Hilton. Zachary, LA (LSU signee).
#80 DT Lee Hunter. Eight Mile, AL (Auburn signee).
#94 RB Armoni Goodwin. Trussville, AL (LSU signee).
#96 DE Tyreak Sapp. Fort Lauderdale, FL (Florida signee).
#99 LB Raneiria Dillworth. Kernersville, NC (North Carolina signee).

The list does suggest academics could be an issue
by nathan  (2020-12-23 12:35:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Playing some devil's advocate here - the list has 82 with offers from private schools or UVA and exactly 3 of them committed to one of those schools (all ND), it suggests that very few top 100 recruits are interested enough in a private school education for it to be a deciding factor, or that ultimately they don't really qualify. Based on nothing it all I suspect it is some of both.

Wrong conclusion *
by cards86  (2020-12-23 14:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

_(ツ)_/¯
by Nathan  (2020-12-23 19:39:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Objectively it’s a list of 100 kids being used to support the premise that academics don’t aren’t a factor in recruiting. Yet, Aside from the 3 going to ND, not a single one is going to a private school or UVA. I made no conclusion, only pointed out that it doesn’t support the premise you are trying to prove. What do you conclude?

That kids want to go to schools that will further
by cards86  (2020-12-23 19:51:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their football aspirations. ND under Holtz was one of those schools. Academics does not preclude that. It’s an excuse for the lazy.

That’s what I conclude.

you are, of course, correct.
by MrE  (2020-12-23 23:13:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND's peer group is Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama et al. - where the Top 100 elect to play football.

ND's peer group is not Vandy, Stanford, Duke, et al. - where the Top 100 elect not to play football.

Based on this list?
by Nathan  (2020-12-23 20:23:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That kids choose based on their football aspirations is obvious. No one has ever argued that. The list supports that, not much more. To the coldly analytical this list says nothing about how academics factors in, only that it would appear that all 100 are eligible.

My biggest takeaway from this list that the best players are from California, Texas, or the south. My other takeaway is that the top schools kids are picking are west coast, Texas/Oklahoma and the south. Seems like those two things could be related. The list doesn’t prove it.

I don’t think kids exactly dream of playing for BK or in his offense but I also don’t think a lot of those kids in the top 100 care much about academics. I’d go so far as to say that any kids who picks Oklahoma does not.

Among data scientists, physicians, and psychologists, the term for your bias is called “confirmation” bias.

Interesting *
by Irishlib  (2020-12-23 12:32:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for doing this research
by Jvan  (2020-12-23 12:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It provides a valid data point to something many of us have believed to be true. I'd add the premise that we're not overly limited in pursuit of elite recruits is especially valid since the 2016 season when Swarbrick and Kelly overhauled the program and spent millions on Crossroads and other more football-specific perks. There are still some tight fits in the Admissions process, but very few players that Kelly can get to say 'Yes' now are turned away. He just needs to get more of them.

If Weis could land a #1 class, Kelly has no excuse not to *
by baronbutler  (2020-12-23 13:13:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weis worked his ass off.
by mocopdx  (2020-12-23 13:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seriously, that fatass was a grinder. If he had the record BK had at this point, we'd be churning out top 5 classes.

Exactly right -- Weis unquestionably outworked Kelly
by dulacshakur  (2020-12-23 13:28:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Particularly in recruiting. There have been numerous stories in which coveted recruits have commented about how rarely (if ever) Kelly reached out.

Weis was a lousy coach, but he worked his ass off at recruiting. Kelly coasts by comparison. He just isn't as hungry as Swinney, Meyer, or Saban. But I bet the only thing Nick Saban hates more than kissing the ass of some 17-year-old prima donna is losing.

Kelly may not be as hungry as Swinney, Meyer, or Saban...
by Irisharab  (2020-12-23 14:27:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but none of them were ever as hungry as Weis.

I knew what was coming and I still laughed *
by Jvan  (2020-12-23 15:54:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Moff  (2020-12-23 13:33:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know what you are saying, but I want to know. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-12-23 21:23:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please regale us with your spreadsheets, Pointdexter...
by TAR  (2020-12-23 14:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like the maths

by Moff  (2020-12-23 14:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha, just catching up. I got a chuckle *
by gregmorrissey  (2020-12-23 22:55:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One recent excuse I think that does have merit
by mocopdx  (2020-12-23 12:39:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The covid issues of this year preventing more visits. Yes, I'm aware this affected every school, but in this case it hurts ND far more. Recruits are further away from South Bend, preventing drive-by stop-in visits during the pandemic. On top of that, our visits sell recruits more than going to most campuses. You really have to see ND up close to understand its allure.

If you believe the ISD guys, we likely would've landed 4-6 more elite recruits this year and might have had a top 5 class if not for covid preventing visits.

It may have helped Brey this year with Wesley *
by Pjnuge  (2020-12-23 15:24:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t believe the ISD guys *
by MrE  (2020-12-23 15:21:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll disagree with this somewhat.
by smithwick  (2020-12-23 13:15:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of kids visit ND and don't commit to ND. I don't think ND's official visit hit rate on kids is any higher than other powers.

I do think ND getting kids on campus may be more impactful for kids to determine if ND is a fit or not. I would imagine there are an equal number of kids who visit who realize ND is not what they're looking for in a school.

So net-net, I don't believe official visits would have resulted in us landing more players, but I do believe it could have an impact on kids maybe transferring down the road because they liked the idea of ND more than the campus and environment.

That’s not quite the argument here
by Jvan  (2020-12-23 15:45:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, players visit ND and do not choose to come. The other side of that equation regarding players (especially elite ones) has two elements. First is that ND has virtually no shot at a recruit who doesn’t visit. Second is that such visits usually require an airplane ride or long car trip. These didn’t happen in 2020.

ND also does a lot more for recruits when they visit than just talk football. They show them the academic and student life aspects in some detail, while managing to dispel the negative notions that other coaches have put in their heads about ND. They open the eyes of a lot of kids and also get to determine which ones are cultural fits. Not having that ability this year definitely cost them. One casualty was Will Shipley but there were others as well.

ND received commitments from 19 players since May 9
by MrE  (2020-12-23 15:52:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Georgia, New Jersey, California, Florida, Hawaii, California again, Florida again, Georgia again, Georgia again, California again, Tennessee, California again, Maryland, Rhode Island among them.

Seems like out-of-area kids flocked to sign with ND.

Most had already been to campus
by Jvan  (2020-12-23 15:58:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Zoom calls helped in some cases, but they could not cover the full range of academic and social interaction that helps sell recruits and their families, especially from distant locations. We definitely lost out on a few kids this way, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Very informative. Thanks for posting this. *
by VaDblDmr  (2020-12-23 11:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not one Clemson signee either. Very interesting. *
by VaDblDmr  (2020-12-23 11:56:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson doesn’t (have to) recruit marginal students
by acrossdmiddle  (2020-12-23 12:05:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had over 70 players finish the semester with a 3.0 or above this year. Marginal students are often marginal in other aspects of their lives and Dabo demands excellence of his players across the board. Now are they studying rocket science? No - most of them are communications majors, so it may be easier to graduate from Clemson than from ND - but I’m sure the degree of difficulty is up to the players at either school.

This is a very important point.
by smithwick  (2020-12-23 13:21:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As someone who has a relative very close to the NFL, you realize that the large majority of guys playing professional football are talented, but moreso, are extremely hard working and motivated. That's likely true in any profession. I find the attitude from many in the ND fanbase that top recruits are "lazy" and "looking for the easy path" frankly disgusting. It assumes top recruits are where they are simply based on genetics which undercuts how much work they have put in to get where they are.

It is true that the coursework, majors, etc. at the football powers are a sham. However, a lot of the guys in the NFL are incredibly determined and putting in the work in the classroom is not that much of a deterrent IF their on the field development at School ABC will help them get to the league.

Very true, and the inverse is true as well
by Jvan  (2020-12-23 15:50:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lot of players get drafted based on talent and measurables in a physical sense, but they will wash out of the league in short order if they don’t have the right work ethic and are not solid citizens. This is more true today than a generation ago.

good post. So what's the target # of signees?
by MrE  (2020-12-23 11:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the last 3 recruiting classes, ND has signed 2, 4, 4 (10 total, or 3.3 avg).

If I am the VP of Recruiting at ND, and our stated goal is to win the national championship, I need to have my recruiters land X many Top 100 players. Is that 7 per year? 8? Maybe more considering the close rate and available market for Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon, et al?

If the available market to ND is 82, then the current close rate is 4%.

I need recruiters that can close 8% to 10%, at a minimum, I'd think.

by Moff  (2020-12-23 13:38:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i don't think it's a product/service/value prop issue.
by MrE  (2020-12-23 14:50:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problems I need to articulate to the VP of Excellent Coaching and Results are a combination of:

1) My guys aren't rainmakers, they're comprised of guys the VP of EC&R likes and industry reps that weren't rainmakers when they were selling for our competitors.

2) My guys aren't being properly mentored, trained/developed to be better closers by our leaders.

3) Our incentives and measurements are not appropriately aligned to increase success on closing new business. There are no quotas/expectations, and no variable compensation incentives based on performance.

by Moff  (2020-12-23 11:04:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It indeed is a rather flimsy excuse these days
by mocopdx  (2020-12-23 12:12:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My sources are two people who worked in the athletic department in the late 80s and the 00s. They think it's likely 75-85% at this point of the top players who could qualify. It's quite simply not much of a reason for subpar recruiting anymore, and yet people still trot it out.

Our academics at this point are far more an asset in recruiting than a handicap.