It's possible that I misread his intent, but
by No Right Turn on Red (2020-07-20 01:32:52)
Edited on 2020-07-20 01:35:31

In reply to: It’s also interesting you all are saying he says covid is a  posted by airborneirish

a few things he wrote led me to believe he's not placing blame in the right spot (I do agree with you that MD didn't call it a hoax and that our country's leadership has failed in their response to COVID).

"We can debate the necessity or overreaction of this stupid virus forever." I'm not sure how a virus can overreact, so I took that to mean the public or certain states' actions toward combating the virus. I don't think one can look at total infection and death numbers and conclude that we overreacted. That's an assumption on my part, however, so MD1997 is free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

"It's amazing how quickly fear can destroy the fabric of society." I agree with this statement, but what have we done to combat or calm that fear? Does the poster feel the fear is justified or is that fear an overreaction? We don't know because it's a drive by post from an infrequent poster with no profile. However, one of his few posts refers to the more pussification of life in response to an article about Scott Frost not wanting to cuss at his players, something John Gagliardi embraced for 60+ years of coaching. So one may be led to believe the poster is attacking the public perception of the virus rather than this country's leadership.

"We can babble on all we want about masks and social distancing and washing your hands and whatever other nonsense makes people feel better." It's possible the poster's point here may have been that all these precautions won't be enough to have football this fall (probably true). However, calling it nonsense that makes people feel better again sounds quite dismissive.

"The point is, there is no way in hell sports can go on unless there is a seismic shift in the current groupthink occuring." This one is the kicker, as group think is not the reason our country is in the position they are in today.

If the original post stuck simply to the economic impact of COVID on college athletics, I don't think anyone here would have disagreed, as there have been a couple threads and articles on that topic. It was the additional misplaced commentary that drew ire.

I'd be willing to give MD1997 some benefit of the doubt if he returned to clarify even part of what's being objected to here, but he hasn't.

Replies: