In what way is he mailing it in? Details, rather than
by Odschool (2020-06-06 08:16:25)
Edited on 2020-06-06 08:17:50

In reply to: It's not hard to understand when you realize Kelly's  posted by SWPaDem

generalities, would help me to understand what you mean.

Ten years of data points not enough for you?
by carroll2005  (2020-06-06 12:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As swapadem mentioned, the history of lazy incestuous coaching hires is examples A-F, with Rees the most ridiculous one yet.

Recruiting has been mired in "good but not great" territory, Kelly doesn't even pretend to go after the whales or mix it up with Saban/Swinney/Meyer. He recently was profiled as being "hands off" with the recruits and delegating to his assistants. Recruits have consistently named a lack of personal attention from Kelly as a factor in their decisions. Going in late on big name recruits is half-assed and not going to lead to success. Still picks up the "RKG" 3* and low 4* recruits that fit the profile.

Kelly can make the occasional lip service public statements about competing for NCs, but he knows after they didn't fire him in 2016 that he's been given permission to coast to retirement.

Those are data points for mailing it in? I disagree. *
by Odschool  (2020-06-06 14:28:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If handing the role of offensive coordinator to 27 yr old
by SWPaDem  (2020-06-06 09:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tommy Rees after an alleged nationwide search for the position doesn't suggest that Kelly doesn't care enough about his team to strive to find the best, then I don't know what else will.

It's an incestuous hire of someone so young for such an important position at best and a monstrous dereliction of duty at worst. Kelly's history of lackadaisical coaching hires along with his later than sooner recruiting forays and misses - given all the advantages Jack has granted him during his long tenure here - suggest that Kelly hasn't changed a thing in his less than earnest approach to the game.

And I liked Tommy as a player.

The hire you need to be mad about:
by BIG MAC  (2020-06-06 14:28:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Passing on Trautwein and hiring Quinn.