Somebody named Leichtle ranked Rockne #3
by RJD (2020-05-21 16:12:39)

among the greatest football coaches at Notre Dame. Article is linked and it's a good one, but number 3? Get the torches!

Only had three 10-win seasons *
by GoonSquad  (2020-05-22 17:52:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't have to play a tough conference-ish schedule! *
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-23 14:04:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only one Bowl Game *
by RJD  (2020-05-26 16:10:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No big wins on TV *
by RJD  (2020-05-26 16:12:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link for the article (link)
by jbrown_9999  (2020-05-22 09:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd rank Leahy No. 1.
by tdiddy07  (2020-05-27 14:40:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I'd still put Rockne No. 2. I'd entertain Ara at 2. Rockne improved a solid regional program into a national power in an era where it was easier to do so without mass media creating enormous incumbency advantages. He also feasted on weak regional schools at the bottom of the schedule early on before the NCAA made competitive divisions. On the other hand, Ara resurrected a moribund program, likely played tougher schedules than Rockne, and played more games that made it harder to go undefeated. But the difference in winning percentage is too hard to overcome for me.

I think a greater injustice is ranking Kelly above Layden or Brennan. I'd also likely place Harper above him.

Look at 1929 for Rock
by RJD  (2020-05-27 16:32:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND played every game on the road (a few in Chicago). SOS was #3 out of 100 (see link).

By comparison, ND's 1973 championship schedule was not that tough (included Army, Navy, Air Force, Rice, Miami, NW, Pitt)...Rick

For sure, the end of his tenure looked much different.
by tdiddy07  (2020-05-27 16:45:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He'd established ND as a power, the schedules reflected that, and he still dominated. Again, I'd still have him No. 2.