So what new wrinkle will we see in Kelly's offense for VA?
by SWPaDem (2019-09-24 07:48:28)
Edited on 2019-09-24 08:00:34

Who knows? Maybe he'll finally catch lightning in a bottle.

Or maybe he's still hoping to communicate with some flounder.

Rockne's Notre Dame box offense *
by ndhouston  (2019-09-24 14:06:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually, that box shift is why now only 1 man can be in
by TCIrish03  (2019-09-24 22:23:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Motion.

Though given how many illegal formation penalties we take, I wouldn't put it past Kelly.

one two three, hip!
by 84david  (2019-09-24 15:53:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

whatsamatter crowley? you got two left feet?

Ha. It was unstoppable. *
by usmcirish  (2019-09-24 14:32:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think some option off the short toss pass
by mustangman  (2019-09-24 13:47:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that worked twice against New Mexico, but was not attempted against Georgia. Or, maybe four new pass patterns run from inside the five yard line!

Run blocking? *
by cdb9396  (2019-09-24 13:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a 5 yard flea flicker
by irishrock  (2019-09-24 12:21:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it'll still lead to an interception, but it will just mean that our OLine can get in on the tackle

On 3rd and 6. *
by YodaDame  (2019-09-25 07:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A five -flea yard flicker *
by drmurray  (2019-09-24 13:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trickeration where Kmet throws to Ian, igniting the QB
by 1NDGal  (2019-09-24 12:17:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Controversy that BK needs every season just to feel normal.

Kmet played QB in a couple games in high school *
by 1978Irish  (2019-09-24 12:47:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly did have Kmet throw some sort of pass vs LSU.
by MobileIrish  (2019-09-24 14:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember some type of stupid play like that ruined a promising drive.

crowd noise
by IRISHGRUFF  (2019-09-24 12:05:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crowd noise will be limited so this will help with false starts..

More Team-Captains will be named
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-09-24 11:12:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

7 Captains is not enough!

False Starts by the running backs? *
by graNDfan  (2019-09-24 11:10:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is gold and made me blue. *
by hibernianangst  (2019-09-24 12:05:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it were me...
by Wooderson  (2019-09-24 10:54:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd throw the ball to Kmet on every single down until they find some way to stop him. I wondered why we didn't keep doing that Saturday night.

They did throw to Kmet almost all night
by Camarillo Brillo  (2019-09-24 11:16:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Georgia did find a way to stop it. We were lucky Ian didn’t have a pick 6 the way they were jumping their routes.

But the cool coaches like to mix it up to show their genius. *
by SWPaDem  (2019-09-24 11:00:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because that would have been smart and beyond BK’s grasp *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-09-24 10:58:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

infinite number of crossbucks out of wishbone set
by sullivan79  (2019-09-24 09:44:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It worked for Barry Switzer and BK is a way better coach

(A drunken fan told me this last Saturday, and I think he's on to something.)

From the Wing T and mix in 34 Lead and 17 Boot *
by TripleDomer  (2019-09-24 23:53:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wasn’t me, but I’ve been thinking of the Spreadbone
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-09-24 14:56:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it is what we’ve been missing. It’s just that we don’t have three backs to put on the field at the same time.

Blocking and catching *
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-09-24 09:35:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michael Young and Jahmir Smith back from injury...
by BigNDfan  (2019-09-24 09:26:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Young will allow Finke to move back to the slot as well. He'll have to share time with Keys though.

They'll never be fantastic running the ball this year, but it will improve as they get healthy.

Also Lenzy should be back could have used his speed in GA *
by Voisman  (2019-09-24 14:43:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t see much improvement on the horizon.
by irpa  (2019-09-24 10:24:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The running backs getting healthy are not game changers. The lack of focus on the running game is very evident. I get the feeling Kelly would like any excuse to morph his offense into Leach’s. Those limitations came to a head in their game against UCLA. He wants to be part of that cool gang they call “Air Raid”!!!

They're not focusing on the running game...
by BigNDfan  (2019-09-24 10:34:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because they only have Tony Jones.

You'll see ND run the ball more effectively with Smith and Armstrong back. Teams having to account for Young and Kmet will also open things up.

And this illustrates why Kelly is an offensive failure
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-09-24 11:07:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Totally abandon a run game...willfully.

If they were coaching up the OL worth a shit and had a decent scheme,they could run the ball, even with a Tony Jones.

What happens if Armstrong or Smith get hurt again?
Not out of the question because Armstrong has been injury prone.

It is no wonder ND has had a crappy offense(vs good teams) for 10 years under Kelly. He is an egotistical idiot who knows jackshit about building a top offense.

Clark Lea puts Kelly and Long to shame.

Great points. The OL does pretty well in pass protection
by irpa  (2019-09-24 13:07:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but cannot get a yard on 3rd or 4th down. It seems they simply don’t spend enough time practicing it.

After year 2 or 3, any shortcomings a team faces falls squarely on the shoulders of the coach. Big ND Fan can try to rationalize all he wants but the head coach is responsible for hiring staff, recruiting, player development and in game decisions. Kelly has been average to below average in most of these areas. He has been a complete failure in accountability which may very well be the most important characteristic of a great leader.

ND needs another Luatua like player
by Voisman  (2019-09-24 18:57:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see the current TEs or even current RBs that are capable of being that power lead blocker.

That's easy!
by pmoose  (2019-09-24 09:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'll display even more balance in our offense by calling 7 running plays during the game.

That’s easy...installation of page 2 of the laminated sheet
by LateNiteNaugles  (2019-09-24 09:04:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s the customary Week 4 BK trickeration wrinkle.

Step 1: jet sweep with fake double reverse.
Step 2: jet sweep with actual double reverse.
Step 3: jet sweep with double reverse with...get this...a deep pass to a wide open receiver.

They’ll never see it coming, although every defensive coordinator in the country has seen this “innovation” from him at this point in the season for the last twenty-however many years.

. . . the 'fade' to the right side of the end zone! *
by other_guy  (2019-09-24 08:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about a two-fer: Fullback dive play,
by nd71  (2019-09-24 08:45:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

counter-trey and student body left/right.

Only if the 'hoos let BK call running plays.
by irishintheville  (2019-09-24 08:57:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they don't let the lads run, BK will have no choice but to wing it.