SEC championship game featuring unbeaten teams?
by OITLinebacker (2019-09-23 11:46:44)

In reply to: Not so.  posted by BeijingIrish

Isn't that at least somewhat of a rarity?

ND needs help to be sure. If they shut out the noise and win out impressively with double digit wins along the way, then I would say ND has a chance.

The rules since 1989 has been that a non-undefeated ND team has no chance at a National Championship. For better or worse that is what it is. Perfection is demanded no matter how unfair lesser coaches/AD's seem to feel that standard is. It isn't exactly the standard fans/alumni are setting, but it is the standard the college football world demands to meet our expectations (an National Championship).

Last I checked the sign says: PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION TODAY, unless they've changed it with: Play like you are in the conversation today

It is an unfair standard if there's a double standard
by tf86  (2019-09-23 12:08:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I.e., it applies only to ND. Your post seems to imply that it does.

There is and always will be.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-09-23 15:32:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The deck is always stacked against ND has been since Knute was a player. Therein is found some of the glories that makes Notre Dame special. Odds great or small Notre Dame will win over all. It used to not be lip service.

I don't mind bench marking against other great schools, but in the end Notre Dame can only compare it's current self against it's past. If ND just aims to be another top 10 school in all aspects, let's just let the lay board take over, drop the Catholicism, go co-ed dorms, and become full members of a conference and stop pretending to have aspects that make ND different or special.