When will Kelly announce his new Special Teams Coordinator? *
by zahmb (2015-01-04 10:45:41)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Just as soon as he gets the new NFL head coaching job *
by The Flash  (2015-01-05 15:39:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who on the coaching staff is being replaced? *
by BigNDfan  (2015-01-04 18:42:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What? Do you mean ND has one now? Amazing.
by dbldomer7375  (2015-01-04 13:12:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Considering special teams play this year (and the previous four) I didn't think we had one at all.

Hopefully never
by dwjm3  (2015-01-04 12:44:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm still hoping he gets an NFL gig.

After a timeout to start a game, no doubt
by Hipster  (2015-01-04 12:31:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For those who think we Kelly critics are too harsh, there is no better evidence that Kelly hasn't got his game-day act together than all the poorly timed and wasted timeouts. It has been a consistent issue throughout his tenure. A team that needs to call timeouts to start games (especially ones where they've *elected* to receive) is not well prepared.

Correlation and causation are way overrated
by NDColt  (2015-01-05 11:00:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both Michigan and LSU games started that way and look what happened! Don't mess with success.

Followed by an excessive celebration penalty. *
by Brahms  (2015-01-04 13:10:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly is looking to install a pre kickoff/coin toss timeout.
by cj  (2015-01-04 12:36:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's never been done before to my knowledge.

That'll really shake up an opponent.

The fact that we were ranked # 122 in kickoff coverage &
by cj  (2015-01-04 12:23:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

moved up to # 114 this year says it all.

How many ways can this team screw over the D?

Back in 2013:

"Kelly puts the focus on special teams this spring"

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/kelly-puts-the-focus-on-special-teams-this-spring/

“Here’s what I know. Standing on the sideline for the national championship game, we’re ready to kick off and Alabama has eleven starters on kickoff return,” Kelly said. “Kickoff return. Nobody wants to be on kickoff return." Huh? That's a lie.

“So the emphasis for us in this spring is to really embrace their roles. I want starters to be part of our special teams units. The spring really is for us to integrate front-line guys in ST. And that kind of decision has to come from me. So I ‘ve made that, and we’re going about it in the spring to really put our best players on ST.”

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/notre-dame-adding-speed-to-special-teams/article_abfecd72-2816-11e4-bf3b-0017a43b2370.html

Not in execution, mind you, as it often did on game days last season, when the Irish ranked fourth from the bottom nationally (120th) in kickoff coverage.

“Some of the research that we did was we wanted speed to the 30-yard line,” Kelly said of the staff’s offseason research to upgrade all special teams that included meetings with several pro and college teams.

Really? How about clobbering guys before they reach the 20....

http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category05/sort01.html

"Coachcinco" is also "Coachostinko".

Another fun fact
by FourLeafDomer  (2015-01-04 13:59:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We surrendered ~500 less total return yards in 2014 than we did in 2013.

That's an incredible accomplishment! It ranks us #114. *
by cj  (2015-01-04 22:31:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA kickoff stats/rankings are fairly misleading.
by FourLeafDomer  (2015-01-04 13:00:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They only count kickoffs that are actually returned. We kicked the ball off ~70 times this season. We had 26 kicks returned for 609 total yards. That's a pretty effective kickoff unit in comparison to others. On a 'total yards' basis, we're 27th in the country. That's after Fournette's return. We'd be in the top 10 without it.

I think average starting field position would be a much more effective measure of kickoff effectiveness. But I don't think the data is available to calculate it.

Besides Fournette's kick return in the Music City Bowl, did we have any returns of significance?

No that's a kicker's effectiveness. A kickoff coverage team
by tdiddy07  (2015-01-04 14:09:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is evaluated by eliminating touchbacks to only count kicks returned. A coach can only do so much with 1 kicker. They make a difference by putting the team in a position for success on the kicks that are actually returned.

Field position and drive length chart (link)
by cujays96  (2015-01-04 13:47:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think that's as much of a special teams measure.
by FourLeafDomer  (2015-01-04 13:51:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think what FEI is showing is far more comprehensive than that. But certainly the overall starting field position that FEI measures has more meaning than most of the NCAA special teams stats.

Of course they are being ranked #114 and # 122 is good. *
by cj  (2015-01-04 13:25:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty meaningless.
by FourLeafDomer  (2015-01-04 13:34:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another example of how poor that stat is:

Team A kicks the ball to the 10 yard line and the kick gets returned to the 20.
Team B kicks the ball to the goal line and the kick gets returned to the 15.

By NCAA Kick Return Defense standards, Team A is the better of the two units.

Yep, that's why it's tracked....
by cj  (2015-01-04 22:21:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FYI Kelly's grades:

On field performance F
Off field performance F
Offensive performance F
Defensive performance F
Special teams performance F

Try to get past those grades without blaming players....

He blows.

PS Here's what I shared years ago when our pygmy of a coach was ripening at a pace that went beyond his expiration date.

2 NFL players one is a UCLA WR/NFL and the other is a USC corner/NFL both stated you can take a lot of sh** when you are cashing a check, but this isn't going to work in college.

kelly has blown his gasket so often that it's ineffective. He has become chicken little only purple.

PS Your take on Harbaugh's success at stanford being the result of a once in a lifetime QB had me laughing. Thank you.

Didn't Harbaugh recruit 4 star Luck and develop him?

There are a bunch of NFL players that owe Harbaugh huge for his development skills and HC acumen. There are going to be a ton more.

He is going to build the biggest meat grinder um has ever seen.

Your PR spin is just that...

Holtz ALWAYS had a lot of starters play ST. Maybe
by PabloFanque  (2015-01-04 12:27:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's part of the reason we were always in the conversation back then. BK needs to get a clue.......soon! And that doesn't even bring up the need to run the fucking ball to set up the pass. Control the clock. Keep the defense off the field. Win the game.

Where would we rank if Kelly wasn't emphasizing ST's? I am
by cj  (2015-01-04 12:34:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guessing that we may be better.

You and I following Pfeif alone with his sword would at worst only drop a handful of spots....

If he plans a change, he may be trying to get his guy
by tdiddy07  (2015-01-04 11:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a promotion elsewhere before firing him. Weis did for Haywood when many speculated an axing. Kelly did the same for Molnar.

I'd expect Jeff Quinn to be added to the staff
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2015-01-04 11:21:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would doubt he'd handle special teams, but perhaps because Kelly would try to find a spot for him it would make sense.

I think we've all assumed that Quinn would be added, but I suppose he (Quinn) could have something else in the works....but I doubt he could make as much money and keep his career as stable as he could with Kelly, so it would seem to be likely.

A stint at ND is Quinn's likely best hope to
by cujays96  (2015-01-04 11:28:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

another head coaching job.

I figured he'd hire Quinn, move Denbrock to ST and WR.
by tdiddy07  (2015-01-04 11:26:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And fire Booker or get him another job. Maybe split Heistand and Quinn with inside/outside line plus TEs.

I'd hate that.
by FourLeafDomer  (2015-01-04 11:45:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not the firing Booker part, but splitting up the offensive line between multiple coaches. I'd like to keep one cohesive group there. I think the only spot for Quinn would be to replace Booker and his responsibilities.

Could also just give Quinn tight ends. *
by tdiddy07  (2015-01-04 12:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doesn't solve the ST problem. *
by cujays96  (2015-01-04 13:39:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was still assuming Booker is canned and Denbrock takes ST.
by tdiddy07  (2015-01-04 14:04:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did it once or twice before. He remains a coordinator after being demoted for Quinn to take over. Since Denbrock doesn't even call plays, its not as much a challenge to have him do that. He also strikes me as a good soldier.

Of course that still doesn't solve special teams. He hasn't done it in forever. And it's not like we'll practice it any more. Just speculating most likely scenario for a Kelly move.

Booker seems to be an aggressive recruiter. What
by Tinsu  (2015-01-04 11:36:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about the QB coach, La Fleur? I have not heard anything about him with recruiting, and I wonder how much he is really getting accomplished with the QBs? Is he a good recruiter?

I hear praise on recruiting from Booker and that players
by tdiddy07  (2015-01-04 11:44:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

really like him. But despite that reputation last I looked at recruiting, I didn't see him beating the doors down. I couldn't find elite recruits that he's gotten to sign. I could be mistaken. And I doubt Kelly would make a qb coach change after one year. Especially with no one on staff that in aware of who has coaches QBs.

LaFluer was responsible for non-starting QBs
by FourLeafDomer  (2015-01-04 11:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was hard to tell all season what he was contributing, but Zaire looked pretty ready to go when he got a chance. I don't think I've heard LaFluer's name at all on the recruiting trail.

So who is responsible for starting QB's? I suppose BK. *
by irishhawk49  (2015-01-04 20:26:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, exactly. *
by HowardRoark  (2015-01-05 12:11:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When monkeys fly out of his butt *
by milhouse  (2015-01-04 10:49:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, that'll happen before the NFL comes knocking *
by Chestnut ND  (2015-01-04 17:12:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.