you guys know what's going to happen, right?
by jt (2017-08-11 13:32:38)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

a few of our opponents will end up being uncharacteristically weak this year and one of our major obstacles in the schedule (Sc, Stanford, Georgia) will have injuries/setbacks and we will likely win a game or two that we likely shouldn't. We'll end up around 9-3 or 10-2 and get blown out by a decent team in the bowl game but there will be "clear progress" to guys like BIGNDFAN, SEE, Prister, et al and of course, Saucy Jack.

The rest of the football world will remain unimpressed and no other offers will come in for Kelly and so we'll end up stuck with him. It will be like 1998, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2012, and 2015 all over again.

Actually, here's what will happen...
by MattyMcD  (2017-08-14 17:34:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We will go undefeated in the regular season with a brilliant year from our new QB. He will be a Heisman Finalist (and maybe win it). The defense will be surprisingly good, and we'll go to the playoff as the #2 seed. We'll win the playoff in two amazing and close victories, with the second coming against Alabama in an instant classic. As soon as the post game presser is over, Kelly will resign as Head Coach and leave for the NFL. NDNation will hate him for being a traitor and leaving right when we had everything going our way...

Or... we'll go 7-6 with a bowl loss and he'll be fired.

The only guarantee will be that ndnation will hate Brian Kelly at the end of the season. Stone cold lock.

I agree. Except it will likely be worse
by Camarillo Brillo  (2017-08-12 10:56:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND may well steal a win against USC, Stanford or Georgia (1 of 3 at the most) but lose at least 3 games against inferior teams. Despite all the stuff about how ND will run more and Run Pass Option (which to me is code for "duck, cover and run") the offense will only go as far as our quarterback. And our quarterback, for all his potential and raw talent, is brand spanking new.

Thus we will lose to Navy when Wimbush throws an interception inside Navy's 20 yard line with 45 seconds to go (after our defense cannot stop Navy on 4th and 3 and they score a go-ahead touchdown). We will lose to North Carolina when Wimbush makes the wrong read on a RPO(DCR) and is sacked on 4th down inside the Tarheel 10 yard line and the clock runs out. And we will lose in equally spectacular fashion to either NC State, Boston College or Michigan State.

And Kelly will keep his job.

Are those teams really inferior?
by JBrock18  (2017-08-12 21:33:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND is now a 7-8 win team on average every year for 20-25 years now. Those other teams are our peers

This isn't the year for Wimbush to make mistakes
by NDColt  (2017-08-12 16:45:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly will show restraint. The offense will work surprisingly well. Next year, with one year starting under his belt, Wimbush will assume the weight of the offense on his shoulders. He'll make the inevitable mistakes and will face the purple faced wrath enough to destroy his confidence.

Heisler. "At 8-4 Kelly doubled ND's win total in one year" *
by Chuck84  (2017-08-12 09:30:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First ND coach to double his win total in one year.
by Kayo  (2017-08-12 17:15:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Friggin' heroic, I tell ya.

Weis more than did it: 3-9 to 7-6.
by dfw  (2017-08-12 18:08:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With a bowl win!

Earned him an extra year, so please no...

While simultaneously halving the losses! Unprecedented! *
by MOFF  (2017-08-12 15:50:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Win is a Win....Next Step:Temple *
by ND Harvey  (2017-08-12 09:22:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good. I will enjoy watching 10 wins. *
by doug dascenzo  (2017-08-11 18:08:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right cuz squeaking out wins over temple is so satisfying *
by shillelaghhugger  (2017-08-11 20:32:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and supporting the lads! You must have had a blast
by jt  (2017-08-11 18:55:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2006.

All fool's gold. Mostly poor football; hell, even 2012 had it's share of sloppy football and idiotic mistakes coupled with luck, especially with Sc's starter getting hurt.

What do you mean? We went 0-1 in 2012. *
by Keenan4w  (2017-08-14 13:13:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I tend to think he will be gone after this year.
by irpa  (2017-08-11 17:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he will leave on his own, even for a lesser program or position if he gets 9 wins or more. I think he will be forced out with 8 wins or less although, I am a bit scared by the 8 win scenario. I think part of the reason the new coaches were brought in was to solidify the program when Kelly leaves. The coaches will have more incentive to work hard and stick around if they have the 1 year cushion. A main reason programs suffer during a coaching change is the assistants stop working and start looking. The other reason for the complete turnover would be so the AD could fire Kelly and justify it by telling his bosses he gave Kelly everything he needed to win but still couldn't. He will have one less year of buyout which would cover the cost of the extra year the assistants received(or part of it). If none of those are good enough, the AD may be forced to fire him to save his own job or may get fired himself.

Of course, I am not an Alum and have no inside information. I am just expressing my opinion.

An alum with the same opinion, unless . . .
by hchstan73  (2017-08-14 09:47:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they decide to kick him upstairs to "Assistant AD - Football" with no real duties except to look for a new job.

I think he's safe as long as Swarbrick is AD, and I think
by VaDblDmr  (2017-08-11 20:21:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack will be here until he resigns. ND won't fire him, but I suppose if ND does something resembling 4-8 again, perhaps Swarbrick will tire of the charade and leave himself. In that scenario, Kelly would be gone also.

Not with this defense *
by NJND96  (2017-08-11 17:08:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think if he wins 10 games he'll bolt to the next stop
by Shifty  (2017-08-11 16:12:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He'll declare his coaching genius, a true turnaround! From a four win season to a 10 win season! His agent will be working the phones. Some struggling team will take a chance on him.

He won't stick around for the bowl game, either, by the way.

That is if he wins 10 games. Which won't happen.

Yes and No
by Carroll12  (2017-08-13 14:46:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly's 2012 pursuit of the Eagles position and his departure from Cincinnati prove that Kelly is a dishonest opportunist.

However, I doubt anybody will hire BK because he has a contract that ends after the 2021 season. That leaves four years of buyout after this season. A 4 year contract with Kelly would easily cost $20M. That would be 4 years of buyout at 2.5M each. Kelly would also take in about 2.5M in pay each year of the four year contract. Given the clear shortcomings in Kelly's football achievements and personal character, it seems to me that no school would be willing to take such an expensive bet on Kelly.

I'm rooting for 10 wins for sure then. *
by Fresno Mike  (2017-08-11 17:04:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do you blame him?
by chaseball  (2017-08-11 16:49:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think this fan base/alumni/etc. has long lost its patience with BK .. and it's in BK and NDs best interest that he gets hired away somewhere else.

No, it's what the scorpion does. *
by tdiddy07  (2017-08-11 17:05:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure seems as though he tried to do that after '12 and '15
by ugoirish  (2017-08-11 16:39:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but no suitable next stop wanted him.

Part of that happened last year, too
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-08-11 15:24:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The "uncharacteristically weak" opponents part. Nobody thought MSU would go 3-9. Texas was supposed to be better. Stanford was a bit under their recent standards, as was Navy. Duke was very disappointing.

Of course, each of those teams managed to beat ND. But not by much. With even marginally competent coaching, ND could've won 10 or 11 games last year. And even without that basic necessity, 7 of our losses were by 1 TD or less.

Personally, I'm bracing for a repeat of 2000 or 2015. A coach who should've been fired the prior year ends up winning 9-10 games (many of them in spite of some major blunders), only to get exposed and embarrassed in a major bowl game. (In both cases, it was the Fiesta against a team with the initials OSU.)

The 2000 results delayed Davie's discharge one more year, meaning it came two years later than merited. The 2015 results put Kelly's seat in deep freeze. I shudder to think how long Swarbrick will give him if 2017 looks anything like 2000 or 2015.

I went through the list of P5 coaches who wouldn't have
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-08-11 16:03:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

won at least 8 games last year. There's only about 10 that I'm not completely confident would meet that bar. If you raised it to 10 games, there's probably still more than 30 who could have done so.

MSU might have been the worst team on the schedule last year. They might have given Army a good game. Their only wins besides us were Furman and Rutgers. And yet, we found a way to lose that game. It's really incredible just how bad the coaching was last season.

and we were down something like 38-6 to MSU at a point
by irishrock  (2017-08-11 16:08:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the game...somehow the high tempo and sense of urgency that Kelly prides himself on made up part of that shortfall to make it look it was actually a good game.

That has been part of his mo since day 1 at ND. I will always remember the 2011 SC game as a game that he threw in the towel only because he wanted the score to be a 2 touchdown loss or less. He capitulated AT NOTRE DAME STADIUM.

36-7 with a 99.3% win probability for Sparty.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-08-11 18:19:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The lowest the win probability got for Sparty the rest of the way was 92.1%. Coach K should be mindful that a well-dressed corpse is still a corpse.

You forgot Pete Sampson and Coach D.
by jakam31  (2017-08-11 15:23:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The latter of which is the true King of the Kellylover Empire.

to be fair to coach D
by jt  (2017-08-11 16:49:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he was king of the Weislover empire as well for a time.

I wouldn't attach his ass kissing homerism to any one particular coach; I think he is just that way by nature.

It's what I expect to happen *
by NavyJoe  (2017-08-11 15:01:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think jt's underweighting what a shitty gameday coach
by domer  (2017-08-11 14:36:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame has in Kelly. All those things could indeed happen to our opponents, and Mr. Can't Coach His Way Out of a Paper Bag could still find a way to replicate the endings of Tulsa '10, Michigan '11 (I may finally be getting over this one), pass-happy playcalling in a hurricane, and countless others that make me angry all over again.

He can't coach, we know it, and deep down "in places they don't talk about at parties," I suspect the players know it.

just as bad as Davie and Ty. *
by jt  (2017-08-11 16:27:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think this constitutes as coaching do you?
by Jurassic  (2017-08-11 18:40:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually at the opposite end of the field of action.

I think Davie might actually be a better coach *
by dwjm3  (2017-08-11 16:47:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Kelly is the worst coach since Holtz.
by wearendhockey  (2017-08-12 10:08:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the schedules we play now, Davie might probably average 9 wins a season and.

He likes Kelly's offense
by ACross  (2017-08-11 15:01:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Neil Schon.

You take that Neal Schon insult back. Take it back!
by Giggity_Giggity  (2017-08-11 23:01:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Without Neal, there would be no Bad English.

you're just upset because my SIL won't have anything
by jt  (2017-08-11 16:05:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to do with you

He won't stop believin'. *
by rockmcd  (2017-08-11 15:21:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edit: remove "gameday" adj. from my subject line too *
by domer  (2017-08-11 14:45:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, one thing's for sure...he won't be able to blame it on
by Dillon76  (2017-08-11 14:35:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his staff. That card's been played.

His stuff is new. I guarantee he'll mention it. *
by Freight Train  (2017-08-11 16:09:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or
by ugoirish  (2017-08-11 14:16:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an early season loss or two causes a lot of finger pointing. Stupid comments by Kelly trying to act like a faux hard-ass with accountability problems lead to the oozing of barely scabbed over wounds from last year among the players. These, an injury at a critical spot, weakness in the defensive front 7 and a first time starting QB along with the rest of his offense struggling to adjust to a new scheme combine for the whole thing to go south.

Unless he's bad (less than 10 wins), I wouldn't base much
by KevinPS  (2017-08-11 13:51:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of anything on this season. If he goes 11-1 and wins a bowl game--or better--I'll still need to see a minimum 10 win regular season in 2018 to begin to think he's turned corner. And I don't care who gets hurt (from a performance impact perspective--I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt), how bad the weather is/was, whether "we got screwed by the refs", etc. 22 wins over the next two seasons and a minimum of 10 in each will be necessary for me to start to "believe".

I will only "believe" the day BK is gone and Savvy as well.
by Wolfetone  (2017-08-11 14:17:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coaching aside, there is not enough defensive talent to win 22 games
the next two seasons. That's without factoring in BK who blows at
least one game a season trying to show the world how smart he is....
blows another on special teams, and is soundly routed in a couple
more. I still root but no longer believe.

Yeah, I know ......
by mkovac  (2017-08-11 13:49:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're fucked.

I'll say it again, ND Football is like a box of chocolates. *
by Moff  (2017-08-11 13:48:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's like a 50-year-old fruitcake. *
by CJC  (2017-08-11 13:49:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND under BK is like a Bi-Polar Schizophrenic off his meds.
by Jurassic  (2017-08-11 13:41:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This looks about right.

Shanty will show off his new yoga body w/ form-fitting gear. *
by Clarence Beeks  (2017-08-11 13:47:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sporting yoga pants on the sidelines?
by mkovac  (2017-08-11 14:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dear Lord. We have fallen down the rabbit hole.

Leg warmers too?? *
by TheRosadoBrothers  (2017-08-11 15:40:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The difference between this year and some of the years
by dwjm3  (2017-08-11 13:40:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you referenced is the talent on defense is significantly poorer, and the head coach wasn't in year 8...I suspect at some point you have a harder time getting buy in from the players on hand.

But this is year 1 of Kelly 2.0, not year 8 *
by NDEE01  (2017-08-11 13:48:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.