How ND will use the Jumbotron
by Buckeyejohn05 (2017-08-11 10:40:02)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Messages from priests telling the crowd to attend church after the game ? The who, crazy train, Rolling Stones and dropkick murphys are on the playlist too.

I see the operator is from the Yankees. Was the game in Yankee stadium the first time that Jack referenced the Jumbotron ?

His resume gives you hope?
by Fishermick  (2017-08-12 17:55:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The guy "left" the Yankees to go to the Broncos. Then he "left" there to come here. Same guy Manning called out for doing stupid things on the board.
Lots of questions about the choice to run this board. Unless someone in admin is watching everything, this will go poorly (and someone watching still may not be a good thing).
I'm not against the video board. Just really concerned with the choice to run it.

I learned to hate them at the ND/Michigan game in 2003
by mkovac  (2017-08-11 21:16:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was that 38-0 game, where Lot's Wife stood on the sidelines listening to Miles Davis as we got pushed around the field. At one point, during Michigan's 10 minute 99 yard drive, I noticed that Michigan's players looked up and behind them after every play.
They were watching themselves on their Jumbotron. They didn't even realize they were doing it. It had become a Pavlovian response, wanting to see why their fans were cheering after the whistle had blown.

I had already disliked the USC Tron in the LA Coliseum, but it took that game in Ann Arbor to really learn to hate them.

They are vile, the Devil's work and will come to degrade what simple purities used to exist within ND Stadium.

The same way we use the video board for hoops.
by 84david  (2017-08-11 14:59:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kiss cam, dance cam, cute kid cam, priest cam,
dining hall staff cam, and hall maid cam.

Throw in Krazy Train and Leper-Khan cam for more fun.

Hopefully a live USC Song Girls shower cam during 4th & 1
by Frank Drebin  (2017-08-11 14:15:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That should provide us with better thoughts than watching Kelly's empty back field during a goal line stance

It's a giant television.
by ndtnguy  (2017-08-11 12:11:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Tasteful" and "traditional" are not in its nature.

They've had announcements about the post-game Masses for years, though. Now they'll just be on the screen, like everything else.

Will he ever use restraint? Turn it off?
by ACross  (2017-08-11 12:11:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Allow the attention to be focused solely on the field?

It's hard to overstate how thoroughly Swarbrick has wrecked Notre Dame football and recreated it in his cheesy image.

Imagine Notre Dame football with lime green Jetsons chairs, a bad beard, Sally Jesse Raphael glasses, lounging around on green polyester carpet. He's a bad combination of Ron Burgundy, Don King, Judge Smails and Dirk Diggler. A patrician lounge lizard charlatan wanna be blue blood.

He told us he's going to use cliched approaches.
by vitadulcedospes  (2017-08-11 12:02:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"There are certain stadium staples that always work that we'll do and that they haven't always followed here," Bonner said.

Attention: Seven Nation Army, Sweet Caroline, Sandstorm, Rock and Roll Part 2, and Jump Around. You're all in the queue.

As long as we get "Cotton-Eyed Joe" I'll be happy. *
by John88  (2017-08-11 12:16:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I think of George Steinbrenner, I think classy [v]
by Tommy Baseball  (2017-08-11 11:56:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sway cam *
by art fern  (2017-08-11 11:50:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"There won't be any clichéd fan shots either."
by knott06  (2017-08-11 11:39:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope so. At the game against MD in the Redskins' stadium, they did fan shots all the time. A lot of our fans liked mugging for the camera just as much as they did the actual game on the field.

It's a possible contradiction of a previous article.
by NDBass  (2017-08-11 11:48:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless he's stretching the definition of "cliched". I can't imagine what the other two cameras will focus on that isn't game action. Maybe they'll give two angles of purple tirades.

"All that changes in 2017, and Irish vice president and James E. Rohr director of athletics Jack Swarbrick, Bonner and other Notre Dame officials are confident Notre Dame Stadium can now deliver the state-of-the-art, in-game experience current tech-savvy fans expect. In Bonner’s mind, that begins with the ability to show replays and lots of them. He’ll have access to a dozen of the NBC Sports camera feeds plus nine of his own—with seven of those focused on game action."

I measure in millimeters as well. *
by irish2x  (2017-08-11 11:24:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't believe the sides look that crappy.
by NDBass  (2017-08-11 11:11:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They couldn't find better covering?

Three encouraging quotes:
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2017-08-11 10:58:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Re: controversial plays

"We're gonna show it. We'll show it again," Bonner said. "We're not gonna show it so much that an official is going to feel like there's a riot about to happen."

Re: the lunch lady recognitions

"If we just had an incredible pick six touchdown, I'm sorry, I'm not going to that science professor at that point," Bonner said. "I've heard the comments, 'We've lost our home field advantage.' I'm here to make sure we continue to foster that home field advantage, bring it back, so to speak."

Re: tastefulness

"I've worked for some pretty classic brands," Bonner said. "They're conservative organizations. I've never been about the flashy. Call it a safe approach. Call it a conservative approach. It's appropriate. Appropriate show for that venue."

Hopefully that's not lip service.

Everyone has said all the right things
by gordonbombay  (2017-08-11 11:05:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also like the idea of having current and former ND people like Samardzija, Muffet, Lou, et al. reading the Officer McCarthy puns.

I still wish we didn't have it, but IF they do it the way they say they will, it could be ok.

I do think it will be *tasteful* the first year or two.
by harmonica  (2017-08-11 11:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They seem to be really hammering that point home, and it looks like it's not the same people that handle the boards in the JACC and Compton.

After the outrage wears off in a couple years, though, some of that shit will start to creep in.

And while there won't be ads, don't be surprised to see a good dose of "Notre Dame Football is brought to you by our partners Gatorade, Under Armour, Coca-Cola, etc." like they have at basketball and hockey games.

Correct on your last line.
by vitadulcedospes  (2017-08-11 11:27:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that's paid advertising, no matter how they spin it. Those PA reads are built into the contracts for those sponsors.

That is how they do it elsewhere too.
by Domer84  (2017-08-11 13:31:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've had several children at Mississippi State and they have a giant video board in one endzone.In addition to being obnoxiously loud, everything is sponsored.

For example, after a play, everyone looks to the video board for the replay. Before the replay appears, a corporate logo, such as State Farm, will appear with the words "This replay courtesy of State Farm ". So every replay shot is sponsored by someone. In addition, at halftime, the video board is filled with another giant logo and the words "Grey Daniels Toyota presents the Maroon Band!". So they even sell the band.

The worst part is, of course, the actual commercials that play during timeouts. A few years ago, I saw Dan Mullen doing a commercial for a local dentist's office. It was kind of weird watching the coach on the field talking to his players while his 25-foot head was busy shilling orthodontic treatments.

And I can only imagine how much the ND Band is going to be shoved further aside because the administration has to use their shiny new toy every time there's a break in the action.

And they existed without a jumbotron, too. *
by shea  (2017-08-11 12:53:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Inside the stadium?
by HTownND  (2017-08-12 16:13:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No they have not. The PA never said anything brought to you by

TASTE-FULLY!!!!!
by Chuck84  (2017-08-11 10:41:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's hard for Cowboys fans to count that high on their own
by drdomer  (2017-08-11 11:48:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We shouldn't need it.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.