It's 2017. How is Notre Dame football unique?
by Otter (2017-08-10 15:27:08)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Without getting so granular as to say "We play the Notre Dame Victory March" because other schools have fight songs and band fronts and traditions. We used to have things that made us unique. We used to have end zones with hash marks and no logo. We had no jumbotron. We had never been on probation. We didn't redshirt.

Not everything that made us unique left under the Swarbrick administration, but I'm hard pressed to find things that make ND truly unique.

Swaying *
by John88  (2017-08-11 11:15:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its memories of excellence in an era in the distant past. *
by The Flash  (2017-08-11 09:02:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like Army. *
by NDWahoo  (2017-08-11 10:32:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More like Yale, which voluntarily abdicated its throne. *
by The Flash  (2017-08-11 10:46:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fugly chics. *
by MD1997  (2017-08-11 04:35:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No other program with our historical excellence
by Freight Train  (2017-08-10 22:20:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has ever intentionally de-emphasized the program while simultaneously promoting its meager achievements as excellence. That makes us unique.

Wow that is a damning indictment and absolutely true
by Camarillo Brillo  (2017-08-11 07:29:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you imagine the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to allow its basketball team to fall to such depths?

We lose to Northwestern at home. Same for South Florida,
by graNDfan  (2017-08-10 20:45:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Tulsa. Granted, they are not Appalachian State, but Jack just hasn't hit that point in his addiction to cash to schedule them yet...

Don't forget uconn. *
by Irish7478  (2017-08-11 01:42:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bring on Furman! *
by Wooderson  (2017-08-10 22:23:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Uniquely cheesey and disappointing; otherwise unremarkable. *
by captaineclectic  (2017-08-10 18:35:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Demanding alumni
by Chuck84  (2017-08-10 18:16:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No other programs have this problem.

Joking aside -- we do not have demanding alumni anymore
by btd  (2017-08-10 18:30:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why this shit show is allowed to continue. Less than half the alumni alive today care that we have Kelly as coach and are at best 8-4/9-3 every year because we have Kelly.

Circa 1985 Kelly would have signs in his front yard, sheets would be hanging from dorms calling for his head and 90% of alumni anywhere in the world would be openly calling for his head. Kind of like they were for Faust in his last year.

The admin has successfully transformed the alumni base into a majority that really doesn't care if we win or lose.

Only program that thinks they sell out every home game? *
by Killian  (2017-08-10 17:48:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don't think that
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-08-10 17:51:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The PR guys just say it.

They are actually student-athletes. *
by NDTwice  (2017-08-10 17:44:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Closest D1 school to the Indiana Toll Road? *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-08-10 17:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And when Trine goes D-I some day ND won't even have that *
by Twinkie the Kid  (2017-08-10 21:57:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fear the Thunder! Signed, old Tri(ne)-State College alum. *
by Barney68  (2017-08-11 08:05:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We lost to Navy last year
by eddysorin  (2017-08-10 17:24:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of only 3 times we've lost to them since the recently departed Ara Parseghian grabbed the throat of the program and made it win, despite the hurricane blowing into his face.

So, yeah, that is how we are now unique. We lost to Navy.

PS. Perhaps that is not the definition of "unique" you were intending.

Eddy

I may be a damn Luddite when it comes to ND football
by mkovac  (2017-08-10 19:23:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but until my dying day and forever after, I'm of the opinion that any Notre Dame head coach that loses to a service academy should slide his keys under the Athletic Director's door and take a fuckin' cab home.

I was at 2 of Faust's losses to Air Force, including his 4th in a fuckin' row in Falcon Stadium in '85, and fortunately it was his last year as our head coach.

Now we have an administration that seems to accept these losses as part of their institutional control and somehow are able to keep the whales contributing without a hiccup.

F that sh*t.

This. *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2017-08-11 08:57:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Players
by JClarke  (2017-08-10 17:19:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially these guys

EddieAnderson E 1921
Dick Arrington G 1965
Ed Beinor T 1938
Angelo Bertelli QB 1943
Art (Bud) Boeringer C 1926
Luther Bradley DB 1977
Tim Brown FL 1987
Ross Browner DE 1976-77
Jeff Burris CB 1993
Jack Cannon G 1929
Frank Carideo QB 1929-30
Dave Casper TE 1973
George Connor T 1946-47
Bob Crable LB 1980-81
Jim Crowley HB 1924
Pete Demmerle SE 1974
Gerry DiNardo G 1974
Larry DiNardo G 1970
Gus Dorais QB 1913
Bob Dove E 1941-42
Al Ecuyer G 1957
Nick Eddy HB 1966
Clarence Ellis DB 1971
Vagas Ferrguson HB 1979
Pat Filley G 1943
Bill Fischer G 1947-48
Tom Gatewood E 1970
George Gipp HB 1920
Bob Golic LB 1978
Jerry Groom C 1950
Ralph Guglielmi QB 1954
Terry Hanratty QB 1968
Leon Hart E 1948-49
Paul Hornug HB 1955
John Huarte QB 1964
Dave Huffman C 1978
Art Hunter T 1953
Raghib Ismail F 1990
Mirko Jurkovic G 1991
George Kunz T 1968
Joe Kurth T 1932
John Lattner QB 1952-53
Elmer Layden FB 1924
John Lujack QB 1946-47
Todd Lyght CB 1989-90
Jim Lynch LB 1966
Ken MacAfee TE 1976-77
Greg Marx DT 1972
Mike McCoy DT 1969
Creighton Miller HB 1943
Wayne Millner E 1935
Steve Niehaus T 1975
Alan Page DE 1966
Walt Patulski DE 1971
Nick Rassas DB 1965
Tom Regner G 1966
Jack Robinson C 1934
Frank Rydzewski C 1917
Jeff Samardzija WR 2005
Tom Schoen DB 1967
Marchy Schwartz HB 1930-31
John Scully C 1980
Emil Sitko FB 1948-49
John Smith G 1927
Jack Snow E 1964
Frank Stams DE 1988
Monty Stickles E 1959
Michael Stonebreaker LB 1988,90
Harry Stuhldreher QB 1924
Chuck Sweeney E 1937
Aaron Taylor G/T 1992-93
Bobby Taylor CB 1994
Mike Townsend DB 1973
Shane Walton CB 2002
Jim White T 1943
Bob Williams QB 1949
Tommy Yarr, C 1931
John Yonakor E 1943
Chris Zorich DT 1989-90

That is an excellent list - a true Murderers Row *
by mkovac  (2017-08-10 22:14:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

marshmallow fights? *
by 84david  (2017-08-10 17:09:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Academic standards and national appeal.
by rockmcd  (2017-08-10 16:51:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, Stanford with a tv contract?
by ndtnguy  (2017-08-10 18:37:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Come to Notre Dame, where we still have some fumes left in the tank."

No, Stanford has been a consistent winner this decade. *
by rockmcd  (2017-08-10 18:52:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shaw's 6 seasons: 64-17 (.790)
by BeijingIrish  (2017-08-11 12:44:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not shabby.

So, not even that good.
by ndtnguy  (2017-08-11 12:16:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Listen, I think there is something unique about Notre Dame. At least, there's a residuum of something non-fungible about the place, a holdover from days gone by.

But the people who make decisions there now have done just about all they can to open up the windows and waft all of that out. The place, as presented today, is merely a good school with some pretty buildings and a mediocre football team that has more than its fair share of fans.

I don't think so.
by jakam31  (2017-08-10 17:22:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The academic standards schtick isn't even true anymore and ND's national appeal has dropped considerably. There are probably a dozen programs that can claim national prominence over ND.

Perhaps we're talking about different things.
by rockmcd  (2017-08-10 18:10:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By "academic standards", I'm not talking about admissions as much as I'm talking about the requirement to take legitimate courses in legitimate majors.

By "national appeal", I don't mean that they're the lead story on Sportscenter. I'm referring to their efforts to avoid regionalizing themselves by staying independent. ND itself is located in the Midwest, they have a commitment to play 5 east coast teams per year (the quality/prominence of those ACC teams is another matter), an ongoing series against 2 west coast teams per year, and schedules home & home series vs teams like Texas, Georgia, Michigan, and Ohio St. To be clear, I'm not talking about strength of schedule. I'm talking about its efforts to play games against teams all across the country which is something that teams in a conference are unable to do even if they wanted to.

I am talking about vacated wins.
by jakam31  (2017-08-10 18:56:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyone who suggests that ND is different academically is lying to themselves.

As for national prominence, I don't think playing NC State, Duke, Syracuse, Wake Forest and one rotating ACC team that is top-25 along with USC and Stanford is anything to write home about. Alabama has opened with USC, WVU, and Florida State this year. LSU played Wisconsin at Lambeau last year.

I agree that adding Georgia, Texas and Ohio State to the schedule is a good thing.

Kids always cheat in the easiest classes
by pmcdnd96  (2017-08-10 22:03:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why the UNLV basketball program has had so many academic scandals

At least ND is in good company. *
by jakam31  (2017-08-11 06:01:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That confirms we are talking about different things. *
by rockmcd  (2017-08-10 19:07:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A dozen? Not a chance.
by BF101519  (2017-08-10 17:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll give you Bama, OSU, and Michigan right now with Harbaugh. Maybe Texas if they rise under Herman. But gimmie a break, there are NOT a dozen schools with more national prominence than ND. Just not the case.

Edit - and the academic standards thing is real. We are different in that category. You've been listening to too much Colin Cowherd.

Vacated wins are real. *
by jakam31  (2017-08-10 19:43:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still believe in the Notre Dame spirit
by domerforlife  (2017-08-10 16:35:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure, the football program is a hot mess. I didn't attend ND, but have been a fan since birth, due several family members having attended before I was born. Is it still a special (unique) place? Well everyone is welcome to their own opinions, but for me, hell yes it is. I had been to at least one game per year since 1992 (Snow Bowl) - I was 12 - and there is still no place like being on campus on a football weekend for me. I missed the last two years of going to a game after the birth of our third son, but am starting a new streak this year - with my 6yr old. I cannot wait to introduce him to everything I've come to love about ND - My own traditions on campus that have been passed down to me.

So what makes it unique? I think it's the spirit.

Schedule and TV coverage
by Tex Francisco  (2017-08-10 16:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the late 90s and early 2000s cable and network TV became somewhat indistinguishable, but with all the cord cutting, being on network TV, rather than cable, is significant again. ND still plays more games on network TV than any other program.

Also, I don't think any other school can match ND's schedule, even despite some questionable additions of late. We play in California every single year and plays in at least one NFL stadium almost every year.

To clarify the SEC title game and CFB playoffs are
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-08-10 20:52:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

nationally televised, right?

By doing things merely twice, they're establishing more
by SWPaDem  (2017-08-10 16:11:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

new traditions than Carter has pills. "Out with the old, in with the new", Jack always says.

We make a ton of money despite being
by irish2x  (2017-08-10 16:09:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about the same program as Iowa.

We are closer to the Cyclones than Hawkeyes in that respect *
by Irish72  (2017-08-10 18:06:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would like to introduce you to Texas. *
by hibernianangst  (2017-08-10 16:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Texas has won a title
by captaineclectic  (2017-08-10 18:36:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

during the lifetime of its current players.

I still believe in the student body and the
by irishbantam  (2017-08-10 16:05:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

relationship between the students and the players. We don't have athletic dorms. They go to real classes and are part of the university. I think this is very different from most other big-time schools.

I have had a fair amount of interaction with recent graduates and I remain impressed by the kids who graduate from ND - players and students.

That they are "spoiled" may be a fair criticism but one based on age rather than reality. When I was a student-athlete we were deemed spoiled for having access to Loftus.

All the points you mention are frustrating and I am largely in line with the Board's general perception that the administration is more focused on money rather than on-field success. And, personally, I'd rather see Brian Kelly wearing the black and red of Cincinnati than ND. I'd still take our kids over those at other schools.

I don't think much is unique although the end zones
by smithwick  (2017-08-10 15:49:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are still the same, no? Semi-independence is still a defining, unique factor. No games scheduled against 1-AA opponents is also fairly unique; I believe USC and UCLA are the only other two programs to have not scheduled this way.

We're not the best academic school anymore. Stanford has surpassed us and we've lost to both Duke and Northwestern in recent years.

We're certainly not the best football school anymore. There are too many teams to list that have surpassed us.

I will say, with respect to the stadium, for those that were around in the 60s and 70s, how was Notre Dame Stadium unique then? No one had jumbotrons or piped in music. Just marching bands and regular scoreboards I presume. The current iteration of ND stadium is patterned on Doak Campbell, but the original was patterned on Michigan's stadium so it's not like the architecture or bowl shape was unique either. To me, it seems that the only reason ND stadium was unique in that era was due to a history of excellence on the field and not due to any accoutrements or lack thereof.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.