Semi-OT: It's the offseason (or at least close)
by El Kabong (2015-01-02 13:47:03)
Edited on 2015-01-02 13:55:45
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

While I'll still be busy following basketball, I'm also putting my tech list together for the site.

Any functions and whatnot people want to be considered?

opt out of the unsolicited video that freezes my laptop *
by tbonesays  (2015-01-03 20:20:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Highlight "new" pinned posts
by dulac89  (2015-01-03 11:14:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pinned posts at the top tend to blend into the background. Perhaps you can create some way to highlight that there is a new pinned post to draw people's attention to it.

Display of date/time?
by montroy28  (2015-01-03 08:56:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am in ET, and the board shows the date and time in ET for me. Do people in CT, MT, PT (etc) have to see the date and time of posts in ET as well?

Could a time zone selector be added, if that is so?

when I hit "Show All"
by El Capitan  (2015-01-03 07:52:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is there someway so that all of the posts get "read" (i.e. colored like when I read a post individually) when I go back to the main board screen?

I like this one too. *
by John88  (2015-01-03 10:10:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the singles: online Notre Dating? * *
by SpokaneIrish00  (2015-01-03 01:30:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shoot me if you wish, but I'd love a "like" function
by JTG  (2015-01-03 01:03:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd enjoy getting to give positive reinforcement or support to a poster's thoughts, but adding a separate comment just to say you agree or enjoyed their post is a sycophantic bridge too far. I'd like to just be able to click a "like" button to express my appreciation or support without having to just echo or gratuitously post my sentiment in an entirely new post.

Shoot me if you wish, but I'd love a "like" function
by JTG  (2015-01-03 01:02:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd enjoy getting to give positive reinforcement or support to a poster's thoughts, but adding a separate comment just to say you agree or enjoyed their post is a sycophantic bridge too far. I'd like to just be able to click a "like" button to express my appreciation or support without having to just echo or gratuitously post my sentiment in an entirely new post.

Twitter bootstrap could help you out big time *
by airborneirish  (2015-01-02 21:09:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anything that improves authentication would be good
by Ravenium  (2015-01-02 21:31:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2FA would be nice. Granted this isn't one's bank account (and hopefully you don't have the same pw!) but it would help.

Make date/time more readable
by Irish4ever (click here to email the poster)  (2015-01-02 19:55:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why not leave a little more blank space between date & time?

Not this way: (2015-01-02 13:47:03)

This way: (2015-01-02 13:47:03)

EDIT: Argghh. If you hit Edit, you'll see on the line above this one that I inserted a few extra spaces between the date & time. But the software deleted them on the actual page. Sorry if my suggested change pushes the envelope beyond the limits of existing technology. But I know this change would save me time as a user.

Sell "Coachocinco" T shirts *
by rick  (2015-01-02 19:00:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe the functionality already exists, but
by treisele  (2015-01-02 18:41:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd like the ability to navigate an entire thread by clicking on post subjects from within an individual post in the thread. As it is, I can see all replies to an individual subject, or I can "show all" to read all subjects and message bodies in one long scrolling format, but I can't see summary subject lines for posts above the one I'm reading without going back to the main board I'm on.

I'm thinking something like The Polo Grounds message board, for reference. I also like their sidebar with the 15 most recent posts on the board for navigation.

Conjugal visits *
by TAR  (2015-01-02 17:36:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an iOS app for the boards.
by co4nd  (2015-01-02 16:42:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Charge $20 for it and have no adds.

a notification of reply to post
by irishman98  (2015-01-02 16:02:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be great to know if another poster replied to my post while I was away, via email I suppose.

Thanks!

I like this one. *
by Revue Party  (2015-01-02 16:24:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me too! *
by Barney68  (2015-01-02 18:32:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A mobile version of the website would be most welcome. *
by VTND  (2015-01-02 15:48:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't get this. The regular site looks perfect on my phone *
by dulac89  (2015-01-03 11:09:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How would it be different from the regular one? *
by El Kabong  (2015-01-02 15:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Personally, I'd love to see an app-like interface
by irishboy89 (click here to email the poster)  (2015-01-02 16:42:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ISD has a pretty friendly mobile site, I'm sure you've seen it. NDNation is still very much a "I'm viewing a non-mobile site on a phone" experience. I fat-finger things (like ignore-poster) all the time, the post reply tree is difficult to navigate, etc.

Just throwing this out there, I'm a software developer who would love to give a go at something like this. I have no app development experience, but it'd be a fun side project that I'd do for free, of course. I'm including my email if you have any interest.

Multiple logins
by Ndaero93  (2015-01-02 15:44:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps I'm merely an addict, but as I frequently access the site on 2-3 different computers, an iPhone and an iPad, the ability to be logged in on multiple devices at once would be great.

It would also guarantee that if pay for the ad blocked upgrade.

Should also have ability to do a centralized logout of all devices.

Thanks

How do I validate those logins?
by El Kabong  (2015-01-02 15:57:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If someone gets your password and logs in from a different site, how do I know that's not you?

You're overthinking it. There will be a rare issue
by dulac89  (2015-01-03 11:07:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of fraudulent login, but the convenience to your users (especially the ones that pay) far overrides that. This is no different than just about every other login site that I access.

Agree with the point that the first time login from a computer must be validated, but after that should be no big deal. If someone is using a public computer they should be smart enough to log out

New computer = click activation link
by Ravenium  (2015-01-02 21:32:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then add to authorized devices, longer expiration time for session cookies. It's not too bad to add.

Has anyone ever had their account info hacked or stolen?
by milhouse  (2015-01-02 16:15:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ever?

A couple people have claimed they have *
by El Kabong  (2015-01-02 16:24:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they forget to logout when using a public computer
by dulac89  (2015-01-03 11:08:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's their problem.

Let me guess: usually right after they got banned? *
by milhouse  (2015-01-02 17:05:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seconded. *
by FourLeafDomer  (2015-01-02 15:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thirded. *
by ugoirish  (2015-01-02 16:22:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Questions re: board functionality and a suggestion...
by wiNDycityfan  (2015-01-02 15:20:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe it's the ads that load the page much slower, but the "left off" script seems too slow. When I use the back function into the main page, it takes a long time for the page to situate back to the post where I clicked on.

Along these lines, is there a way to highlight new posts? Long threads like those in the political board are hard to follow when you can't see where new posts start or end.

Lastly, a suggestion, how about a "reply to your post" email alert?

A direct link to Footballscoop at the top *
by Groundhog  (2015-01-02 15:19:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Comic sans
by montroy28 (click here to email the poster)  (2015-01-02 15:13:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...or a different means of ignoring/un-ignoring as well as highlighting/un-highlighting. I accidentally highlighted someone, and can't unhighlight. Maybe because there's a space in the username?

Should be able to un-highlight on your User Mgt page *
by El Kabong  (2015-01-02 15:22:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ban everybody I don't like
by Chuck84  (2015-01-02 15:07:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In other words, just let me post.

They can change the name of the site
by Groundhog  (2015-01-02 19:27:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To ChukzSportz

Include a "Show All" option even if no replies
by BillShakespeare  (2015-01-02 14:58:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sometimes when I've left a browser open for quite some time, I'll click on a single post, and then will have to click again to Show All if there have been replies in the interim period.

Hunt down and kill the FLASH drive update required virus
by BacTien  (2015-01-02 14:57:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Damn thing. Popped up again @ 2:58 p.m. Jan 2. Almost a daily occurrence.

Agreed. I get this several times a day *
by IrishCorey  (2015-01-02 15:49:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No complaints. No suggestions. I'm easy. Good job. *
by ProV1x  (2015-01-02 14:19:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sharks with "laser" beams? *
by 84david  (2015-01-02 14:06:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One idea
by undfan211  (2015-01-02 14:01:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When each post is displayed on a page, include the subjects of all the posts in that thread beneath the text, so you can navigate through the thread without going back to the board index page.

Badges for post counts.
by NDBass  (2015-01-02 13:57:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Signature lines that allow embedded images, preferably of scantily clad women. Emoticon support.

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges *
by sprack  (2015-01-02 17:02:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A couple ideas
by IrishTrpt07  (2015-01-02 13:54:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Mute Threads
    Similar to how the ignore poster used to work, have a function to mute a thread and only show the original post but none of the responses. There are times when a subthread can take over the page. If I'm not interested in the discussion, I can hide it from view and still browse the rest of the page quickly.

2. View all posts by author
    Be able to select a poster's handle, and browse all the posts that poster had written. Can be by board or across all boards. For instance: Olson and Walsh69 have great contributions. I'd like to be able to see all their contributions in case I missed some.

3. A Master Board
    There is the option to view posts by most recently posted first. Apply this same concept, but display posts from all the available boards. This way, there can be one page to get updates about football, basketball, randomness, etc.

One board to rule them all? *
by Irish tool  (2015-01-02 13:58:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One board to find them. One board to bring them all and in
by FtWorthIrish  (2015-01-02 14:22:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the darkness bind them.

Actually that sounds like the motto for a Michigan board.

Great, we're going to have to go on an adventure...
by pmoose  (2015-01-02 14:04:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...through Mordor and throw the board into Orodruin.

Or we can Peter Jackson develop it
by graNDfan  (2015-01-02 14:35:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In which case we will all be posting about nothing related to ND

Either confirmation or undo for Ignore Poster.
by Irish tool  (2015-01-02 13:52:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As it stands, an accidental ignore poster click requires: return to board, click on account management, click on un-ignore, then a few clicks back to the board in question.

If there were something at the "El Kabong has been added to your ignored posters list" screen to immediately undo and return to board, that'd rule.

This happens to me all the time.
by Georgia Hog  (2015-01-02 14:20:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've got fat fingers.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.