Notes on Fan Experience @ Music City
by oldtownirish (2015-01-01 03:13:59)
Edited on 2015-01-01 03:28:06
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

While I'd doubted the merits of making a ten hour-long drive to the Music City Bowl (especially after so brutal a November), I relented.

On the eve of the game, at the 'battle of the bands' on Broadway, I encountered thousands of LSU fans, lots of whom actually had no tie to LSU, but were fans of other SEC teams. Many seemed smug, less-than-friendly, and blithe in the assumption that their team was superior. One button read, 'notre damned.'

Afterward, we drove the 20 minutes to the gigantic Opryland Hotel where, I soon learned, both teams were staying. While parking the car, my learning disabled son Ted (who wanted to stay at the hotel thru all activities) - hung in the lobby, and befriended Mike McGlinchey. McGlinchey was very accommodating, and Ted begged the talented tackle to wait until I arrived about eight minutes later from a distant parking lot. As I entered the hotel, I bumped into my first hero, Terry Hanratty. He was - as always - friendly and fun. I should've sensed then that good things were in the offing. As I entered the lobby, my son introduced me to the obliging McGlinchey.

After the game, I maneuvered thru heavy traffic as I headed back to the hotel, and took a call from Ted; he announced that he'd befriended Isaac Rochell. The FG-blocking tackle had given Ted a game glove, as well as detailed contact info for Ted's future use to remain in touch. Then, upon my arrival, I had chances to briefly visit with Tarean Folston, and Everett Golson, as well as Lt. David Robinson - all of whom were very gracious, and seemed wonderful ambassadors for the university. While the last-second upset of an SEC power had been dramatic....the highlight was simply meeting such good ND people. At that point, the 2014 Music City Bowl struck me as a major bowl after all.

That is why I still care way too much about ND
by JTG  (2015-01-01 22:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I grew up at ND, where my dad was a professor and we went to all the home games and rooted our hearts out in the 70's and early 80's during my formative years. We then moved back to California, and I went to UCLA, but Notre Dame continues to be my favorite team, because I firmly believe they are one of the very few teams that makes an effort to recruit good citizens and teach good character, while also kicking ass on the football field. My alma mater is probably in that second tier of teams that cares more than the average school, but Notre Dame is still my first love, and I really appreciate hearing first hand stories of good citizenship from the players.

ditto here, except my formative years were late '60s
by oldtownirish  (2015-01-02 12:59:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and into '70s. I too care WAY too much about the games' outcomes. But, it's because I fervently believe there is something very special about ND winning - because the pursuit of wins is done the right way. Thanks!

Fantastic. We had a great experience as well.
by ndwineaux  (2015-01-01 09:50:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mostly very good folks - from both sides - and a great atmosphere.
Nashville is a terrific venue.

we did too
by DavidAddison  (2015-01-01 10:52:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The game being played in Nashville was the main reason we went. We love that city.

Downtown events and vibe were fun. We stayed at the team hotel and our G14 got a number of pics with the very accommodating ND players.

Gaylord Opryland (ND hotel) is a bit of a hike from downtown but it all worked out well as there were sort of two distinct spots (downtown and hotel) where you could count on there being a lot going on.

Totally enjoyed the game. Got great seats through ND and the first drive totally set the mindset that we were there to win. Go Irish!

Good to hear that some ND traditions are still going strong
by OldIrishFan  (2015-01-01 06:06:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We still have good people representing the University

That is really cool. Thanks for sharing. *
by NDHouston  (2015-01-01 05:14:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great post! *
by PattyMulligan  (2015-01-01 05:11:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for sharing your amazing experience *
by pants  (2015-01-01 03:51:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.