Accountability for losing the NC game
by NWEndzone (2017-04-20 21:46:35)

Nope, not our coach.

From Chris Low's article on espn.com today

"It was Alabama's first loss after 26 straight wins, and the Crimson Tide were vying for what would have been their fifth national championship in the last eight years. Never one to mince words, Saban said the blame for Alabama not playing its best football in the playoff falls squarely on him.

"If you had asked me if that team makes it to the championship game in September, I would have said probably not because of the quarterback (Jalen Hurts) being a true freshman," Saban said. "But after we got there, I felt like if we had played to our strengths as a team, we would win. But we didn't play to our strengths, and that's my fault. That's the part that's hard to get over.

"I didn't do a good job, whether it was keeping the team focused, making sure the team took the ownership they needed to take in those games ... whatever. I don't know what it was. But I do know it's on me, and we'll go on and all learn from it."

"I don't know what it was. But I do know it's on me..."
by SUJB9  (2017-04-21 12:55:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't see the full interview, but just based on OP's quotes Saban seems to just be taking the blame for the sake of taking the blame. That's certainly better than throwing your players under the bus, but I'm not sure how much better. Saban doesn't identify why he thinks he is to blame or why the blame isn't elsewhere. It's better than what BK does, but I also don't want a coach that is just going to fall on his sword for no reason (that isn't to say I don't want Saban, just saying I don't think that's the ideal response to a loss).

1) he absolutely knows what it was
by jt  (2017-04-21 15:35:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2) he is going to spend every waking moment correcting it

No, he is not going to tell the media what it was and yes the players had better be ready as he is going to unleash hell on them to fix whatever it was. Now, will his players be bragging about puke fest workouts and posting before and after pics ala Crossfit workout athletes? Maybe, I suppose.

I think you're holding him to an unrealistic standard.
by 801stlouis  (2017-04-21 13:57:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No good coach is going to go into more detail than Saban did in this interview. He took full responsibility. He talked about the challenge of having a freshman QB at the beginning of the year and then the fact that his team didn't play to its strengths in the championship game. If he chose to go into more detail than that, he would most likely get into talking about specifics that would relate to individual players and, by doing so, would throw those individuals under the bus. It's pretty simple: he made some tactical errors during (and possibly leading up to) the game and he regrets those decisions.

One of the nice things for Saban is that he doesn't have to think too much about how to respond after a loss because it happens so infrequently. Kelly, on the other hand, needs a systematic approach to dealing with losses because losses have a way of coming at Kelly in bunches.

Look at the language I quoted. He said he didn't know
by SUJB9  (2017-04-21 14:32:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what went wrong. He isn't withholding details on purpose, he doesn't know. I don't have a problem with him admitting he doesn't know, but then he shouldn't blame it on himself either then. Just say, "I don't know what went wrong. I probably need to look at the coaching job I did and see where I can improve." Simple as that.

If that was all he said, I might agree.
by 801stlouis  (2017-04-21 14:51:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But he also said: But we didn't play to our strengths, and that's my fault. That's the part that's hard to get over.

He knows exactly what he did wrong, he just doesn't feel the need to get into it in an interview. He's indisputably the greatest coach in college football right now and probably the greatest of all time and you don't think he "really" knows what went wrong against Clemson. Fair enough.

So his statement about not knowing was a lie?
by SUJB9  (2017-04-21 16:18:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think he's being that deceptive. If he knew the problem and didn't want to tell the media, then he would say he didn't want to tell them. This is Nick Saban. He's done that plenty of times before with the media.

He is one of the greatest coaches of all time and, because of that, he's probably the first to admit when he hasn't figured something out yet. He had a more talented team and a big favorite but lost. He'll probably have it figured out by next season but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he doesn't have it all figured out yet.

He specifically cited at least three things he did wrong.
by Moff  (2017-04-21 14:44:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your quote is relates to him not knowing which of the things he did wrong caused them to lose a national championship game with 1 second left. We should have such problems.

Was one of them "Hired Lane Kiffin"?
by graNDfan  (2017-04-21 18:57:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cause I would have agreed with that....

Well he threw out potential reasons.
by tdiddy07  (2017-04-21 14:43:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And said he'd drill down on those and figure it out. He just wasn't sure which was the most causative. But you get the sense he's going to find out.

That's not exactly taking blame just to take blame.

I think it was a huge mistake for him to ditch Kiffin the
by TWO  (2017-04-21 08:17:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Week of the Championship game. Even if Sark was with the team all season, still a bad move. That's on Saban.

Wow, Saban has a lot to learn from BK regarding pressers
by Frank Drebin  (2017-04-21 06:53:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes one wonder how has Saban ever been able to keep his head coaching job over the years. Thank God Notre Dame has Brian Kelly. Thank you Jack for keeping us safe from incompetent coaches like Saban

The phrasing is even way off
by pmcdnd96  (2017-04-21 10:38:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coaches are supposed to have a big preamble to their actual answers, including plenty of "relative to"s, reference to the number of years they've been coaching, and pointing out that their comments are obvious.

Should have been more like this:
"Obviously, If you had asked me if that team makes it to the championship game reltaive to the college football season as a whole in September, I would have said probably not because of the quarterback (Jalen Hurts) being a true freshman relative to his years of eligibility to play football while a student at the University of Alabama," Saban said. "But after we got there, obviously I felt, based on my 23 years as a head football coach, like if we had played to our strengths as a team relative to the offensive, defensive, and special teams aspects of the game of football, we would win . But we didn't play to our strengths, and that's my fault relative to how the players so horribly underperformed in their execution of the brilliant plan I had put together for them. That's the part that's hard to get over.

The worst part is
by Jwill77  (2017-04-21 10:40:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I hadn't read the rest of the thread, I wouldn't have known you were joking.

That's why it is so important to look at posts day to day, *
by Moff  (2017-04-21 14:53:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the greatest posting jobs I've seen. And I've been
by NWEndzone  (2017-04-21 16:22:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

around elite posters for many years

Can I have $35 million dollars and next year off? *
by Moff  (2017-04-21 19:54:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how 'bout this: take the year off from actual posting,
by NWEndzone  (2017-04-21 21:12:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but pretend like you're working at it. We'll still pay you. Just show up for meetings and stuff and be visible. Someone else can do your posts. Try not to screw up too badly or go all "purple poster" when the cameras are on you. We've got your back. We'll keep telling people we post for championships.

Now, if for some reason it goes badly and you have more than a couple bad posts, we'll blame the assistant posting staff and find some new ones. Maybe even blame the readers of your posts for misinterpreting them. (by the way, frankly the assistant posters you picked aren't so hot to begin with, especially that one that drives a trans am and has crazy eyes. What do we pay that guy again?)

Then you can come back the next year and really do some actual work and we'll fool them all by showing everybody how great you did compared to the year when you weren't really working. Everybody will be amazed at how great your posts are once you start trying again, even though compared to truly championship posting it's D-II level.

It's genius. Go Irish!

Must have missed Head Coaching (or How to Throw Everyone
by SWPaDem  (2017-04-21 08:08:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Else Under the Bus) 101 back in the day.