Spring questions and observations
by SEE (2017-03-09 16:31:10)
Edited on 2017-03-09 23:12:41
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Cobbling together thoughts, facts and wild ass speculation from around the interwebs for your ridicule.

QB
We'd better hope Wimbush stays healthy. Seems everyone is thrilled with his potential. He's faster and has a stronger arm than Kizer, but the rest hasn't been tested since he was in HS. He did get rid of the loopy throwing motion. BTW, just from the early installation videos, it looks like the RPO (which helped Penn State this past year) will be a staple of the offense. Wimbush is the highest ranked QB recruit (sans Kiel) recruited by Kelly. Book is no where near Wimbush in terms of talent. I assume Montgomery (NR) is in the same boat.

OL
With Bars now at guard and Kraemer at RT, ND is going to have a massive OL. 329,315,305,320,315. Since part of the reasoning behind Tempo is to equalize up-front disadvantages in size, does pushing these big boys to run at tempo play to their strengths? Not so sure (and I like the use of tempo and I can't believe ND didn't use Tempo more with the one dimensional Rees,) but we've got some bruisers up front, lots of options for two tight end sets and some big backs. 8 four star kids who are sophomores or older. 3 more joining the fold. Theoretically, this could be the strength of the team, Nelson and McGlinchy are both being thought of as 1st round picks. Bars, Mustipher and Kraemer were all highly rated kids.

TE
With Alize Jones returning and Brock Wright now on campus, Long's going to have a lot of options for his two tight end looks. Brock is over 250 right now. Durham Smythe is 256. Jones is really interesting as he can play WR and TE. Two four star kids who are soph +. 2 more joining the fold.

RB
Josh Adams, now 220, is the clear leader at RB, but Tony Jones is in at 225. He looks like a Wisconsin type back. Williams is the lone four star recruit here that's a soph +. Holmes will up that number by 1.

WR
If ND really wants to go big and still maintain flexibility, there are a lot of options to be able to do that. Claypool, Boykin and McKinley (still injured) are all 220 pound wide receivers. ESB is 6'4" and Jones ran with the WRs at least at times. CJ sanders is the lone gamebreaker on the team, though some might put Stepherson there. 5 four star kids at WR who are soph +. Any sign of Freddie Canteen? He would make 6.

Long walked into a good situation, let's see if he's any good and if Kelly can stay out of his way. ā€œI'm going to give him that autonomy to do that. I think over the last few years it's been a committee running the offense. There is no committee now. It's one guy that can kind of turn it loose and run it.ā€

Uh huh.

Defense is where it gets a bit more interesting.

DL
With Elston shifting Bonner inside (I think he's got a little Zorich in him), Trumbetti to SDE, Tillery to nose and Hayes the younger to WDE, it looks like he's downshifting those positions. Trumbetti didn't have great speed for a WDE, but he does have very good speed for a SDE. Same with Bonner and Tillery. Good for penetration, but that ends up being a pretty small front four with a pretty small LB corps. Bama would have a field day. What's interesting is the sheer size and numbers of upperclassmen we have: Tiassum, Dew Treadway (2 deep), Cage and Mokwuah (signs of life last year) are all 300 pounders. That's a lot of raw clay to make something out of. We have 5 four star players on the DL (Tillery, Kareem, Hayes, Hayes and Okwara) who are sophs +. Pagano would be 6, but I don't know how realistic he is. We seem to lose every kid to OU these days. We have something like 17 total DL, which has to be a record. Overall, a big box of chocolates here.

LB
I think everyone feels really good about Morgan at Mike. But is Martini/Coney the answer at Buck? Can Bilal cover at Rover? Some good pieces to play with, but it looks like we've got a lot of Mike types. What happened to four star Army AA Barajas? With the creation of the hybrid rover role, where do Perry and Morgan (both bigger, but slower safeties) fit in? Does Tranquil play here? 4 four star kids at LB. A bit thin.

CB
Love, Watkins, Pride and Vaughn (with Crawford still injured) look like the two deep at CB. Vaughn is Spiderman/Bobby Taylor big at 6'2" 3/4 and 209 pounds. Watkins, some might forget, was offered by just about everybody. 5 four star kids at CB. Everyone seems to feel pretty good about CB.

DB
Looks like Elko did something similar in the secondary (as Elston did on the DL) by moving Coleman and White to safety. Coleman struggled as a CB but has good skills at safety. Safety with Coleman and Tranquil doesn't look that exciting on the surface. People are high on Studstill and Elliott. Morgan and Perry are also here. This is probably the worst recruited position on the team with two kids ranked 4-stars or higher. And one of those kids looks more like an LB. Robertson, a lone 4-star recruit here, checked in at 209 pounds.

It certainly looks like OL and TE positions are the strength of this team and with a couple of 220 pound backs, ND should be able to create a power play action team that works out of a two tight end set often ( as Long says he prefers.) Wimbush is more than talented enough to be effective in such an offense, but of course, talent doesn't always translate into results.

Defense is just too hard to tell. Elko did not have a great first year at Wake Forest, I don't know if that was a talent issue or a learning curve situation. I like Elko, but I don't think we got a Venables here.

* Why talk about 4-stars? It's not exactly in-depth analysis, but each NC team of the past three years had at least 50+% of their starters ranked four stars or higher. In no way is this a a hard and fast rule, but it's a very rough guide to talent. This was the ratio of 4-5 star starters for teams last year: Alabama-77% Clemson-52% Ohio State-70% Washington-26%. I separated out the freshmen... the only two I think could make an impact are Wright and Ewell.

ND would have 56% if you go by Rivals and the current two deep (which will change.)

Imagine what a good coach would do with this lot. *
by AFA91  (2017-03-10 13:47:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably fifty head coaches could've won 8-9 with 2016 group *
by SoCal_IrishDad  (2017-03-10 19:08:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Worst coach of 2016?
by SEE  (2017-03-10 22:53:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least in the top 5

This probably won't be popular..
by viciousweinerdog  (2017-03-10 09:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but Harry Hiestand needs to quit getting a pass. The offensive line is full of highly touted players, and players that are "projected" to be high draft picks. When are they going to play like it?

I'm tired of watching our line struggle to garner a push to get a yard when needed against vaunted defenses like Navy. Not to mention all of the false starts(Stanley and McGlinchey, I'm looking at you) that show up every single game. I know these men are versed on the back pedal, but when all of that beef up front can't blow off the ball and move the Leprechaun back a yard or two in the run game, it needs to be explained.

Definitely popular. The misuse of talent on the oline has
by athlete37  (2017-03-11 00:36:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been a great source of frustration around here. There was no reason we shouldn't have had one of the best lines in the country last season, and that alone would have been good for 5 more wins than we got last year.

It's hard to be good at things you don't practice.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2017-03-10 16:33:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Long will take a better approach. Maybe Kelly will let him. Maybe I'll start dating Scarlett Johansson.

Agree with this 100%. *
by JoyceSouthGater  (2017-03-10 11:48:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point. At year 7 of the Kelly error,
by 84david  (2017-03-10 10:33:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we should at the very least question every facet of the program.

We had some outliers here that questioned our S&C from the very beginning. Turns out
they were right. Similarly, it is absolutely fair to question HH's coaching.

We recruited bruisers, then put them on their haunches and
by SEE  (2017-03-10 12:29:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

made them weaker. Sounds like a great OL strategy

Thanks. *
by Newt  (2017-03-09 20:57:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can't wait to watch Tommy Kraemer play. The right side of
by JoyceSouthGater  (2017-03-09 19:47:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the line might actually be better than he left side. Immediately.

Lots to be excited about, if it doesn't get all fvcked up.

Red shirt?? *
by cj  (2017-03-09 22:36:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hope he was a sweet backpedal *
by ACross  (2017-03-09 19:56:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'll most certainly....
by JoyceSouthGater  (2017-03-10 11:47:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FVCK IT UP.

Excellent. This is what I read this board for. *
by billweber72  (2017-03-09 19:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A virtual reach around *
by ACross  (2017-03-09 19:55:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everything is run at tempo.
by NDBass  (2017-03-09 18:58:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't matter if the ball is snapped with 1 second on the play clock or 35 seconds on the play clock.

How do you define "four star"
by ACross  (2017-03-09 18:02:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Allow me to answer for you. Even if most of the recruiting services did not rank a recruit so highly, but you scrounged and found one outlier that did, you consider such a recruit a "four star" if it suits your present purposes, subject to later denial.

When the kid commits and your handle doesn't show up
by Irish Tool  (2017-03-09 20:07:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the thread about it, then the kid is a 4 or 5 star.

If your handle does show up, must be a 3 star.

You guys can never type "five star" without the trusty
by ACross  (2017-03-09 20:16:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disjunctive companion "Or four star." It really rains 5 stars around here.

Nice breakdown thanks. *
by DCDave  (2017-03-09 17:47:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seconded *
by trout  (2017-03-10 20:51:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Welcome. Happy to do it *
by SEE  (2017-03-09 18:54:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.