My Take
by Qu1ps (2014-12-31 05:50:36)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

First, it was good to see a win, any win after the way this team and its coaching staff collapsed. Next, it was better to see a win over an SEC school. Finally, though, a caution to all. I still believe we should have declined a bowl invitation because it was, to me, a lose-lose situation. A loss, of course, would have meant closing on a five game losing streak. A win, however, could trick the coaches, the players, and even the fans... into believing this was a successful season which it was not. Already I hear talk, even from Brian Kelly and the media about, "next year could be the year". How about building a dominating defense first? Defense is still what wins championships. Ask the Steelers of the 70's what won 4 championships in 6 years, ask the Seahawks who stuffed Peyton Manning last year what won it for them, ask Nick Saban at Alabama what is making his team a perennial championship contender. Anyway, congrats to the Irish for closing the season on a win and on a win over an SEC team. Sometimes I get ticked off beyond belief but I will love you til I breathe my less breath on this earth. "Notre Dame, Our Mother, pray for us!"

Here are 'bama's yearly total D and total O #'s back to '08
by cj  (2014-12-31 11:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are correct about the defense.

It's how you build a dominating franchise.

Total D

08 3
09 2
10 5
11 1
12 1
13 5
14 10

Total O

08 64
09 43
10 22
11 31
12 31
13 33
14 15

Agree on defense. Tough to win without a
by SEE  (2014-12-31 12:22:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Grest one.

I was fortunate to see the '77 defense. Man could those guys
by cj  (2014-12-31 13:16:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hit.

you need a new hobby *
by MukIrish  (2014-12-31 10:00:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't think so much, you're not built for it. *
by Slotts  (2014-12-31 09:29:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It can only hurt the ball club *
by beancounter  (2014-12-31 11:33:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By your logic all games are lose-lose at this point
by Ocdomer78  (2014-12-31 09:29:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wrong and stubborn is a bad combo flounder.

Tricked into believing? How dumb do you think they are?
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2014-12-31 09:22:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently you don't think much of the intelligence level of Notre Dame players.

And, what goal would you like them to shoot for next year if not the national title?

this game was about 2015
by brnd  (2014-12-31 09:21:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Ending with a strong performance will help 2015 recruiting vs ending with a 4 game losing streak and USC blowout loss
2. Bowl practice time will especially help the newer contributor in 2015. Plus, great game experience for guys like McGlinchey and Morgan.
3. Perhaps someone (Holtz?) got thru to Kelly and told him that ND needs to run the ball (as opposed to running just one of first 15 plays vs USC). Hopefully Kelly learned a blueprint for 2015.

I suspect that virtually everyone who wanted to skip the bowl game now understands that such an opinion was based on emotional exhaustion and not logic.

And the NFL *
by Brahms  (2014-12-31 09:25:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how did we hurt our future dominating defense yesterday? *
by DakotaDomer  (2014-12-31 09:15:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many of the playoff teams have dominating defenses? *
by FourLeafDomer  (2014-12-31 09:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Statistically speaking, I'd go with two...
by beorach  (2014-12-31 09:22:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ohio State's numbers in the category of rushing defense aren't great but those in passing, scoring and total defense are... Alabama's in passing and scoring aren't so good as their rushing and total (defensive numbers posted this season only against FBS teams) but they're still well above average.

Florida State's defensive stats are above average but far from dominant. Oregon has allowed a lot of yards this season...mainly through the air. Their figures against the run are above average with scoring defense their best category of these.

The SOS rankings are as follows: Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, and Ohio State.

Total Defense: Bama #10, LSU #11 (hehe)
by RJD  (2014-12-31 09:17:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OSU #15

FSU #50

ND #73

Oregon #82

Every idiot in sports media gooed over every rinky dink...
by ndmck  (2014-12-31 08:58:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bowl team and talked about the stage being set for that team in 2015. That's what those idiots say and do. It has nothing to do with Kelly and Notre Dame. I can't argue with anything you said about dominating defenses.

You must have been be a real joy to watch the game with
by all_irish_1990  (2014-12-31 08:57:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...so just to be clear, you view the game as a "Loss" right?

Next year talk was there before the bowl game
by RJD  (2014-12-31 08:57:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bowl win may be lipstick on a drag queen of a season but we knew going in that this team was young and that most of the key players would be returning, including a suspended stud or two. Or three. Will key juniors/seniors stay as well? We may not need them all.

"Next year could be the year?". It should be the year. Nothing wrong with great expectations, eh Pip?

Simply put, that bowl win over a ranked SEC opponent gave players, coaches, administration, fans, meanies, and recruits a big bump heading into the new year.

Bowl games against crap opponents are bad ideas.
by Bruno95  (2014-12-31 08:55:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But this game was full of opportunity, and ND seized it. The crowd was large and into the game, ND played its second-best game of the season, and we somehow have regained momentum after an awful November.

We really needed this win.

I haven't felt this good since the Michigan win. *
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-31 09:29:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ditto *
by The Flash  (2014-12-31 15:46:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, how about right before you saw the flag....
by Marine Domer  (2014-12-31 10:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at the end of the FSU game?

Good point. *
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-31 10:52:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In a season of tough breaks, ND finally got a good one.
by NDMike2001  (2014-12-31 09:15:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After crapping the bed during the last half of the season our bowl options were limited. Tax Slayer, Pinstripe and Sun all offered less appealing opponents.

A win in the Belk Bowl against Georgia would not have provided as much of a bump since the narrative would have been that ND played the 2nd place team in the weaker SEC division. More problematic, they probably presented a more difficult matchup for ND with a more balanced offense.

Fate presented ND with a good matchup. Kelly put together the type of offensive gameplan we've wanted; Brindza found redemption in a GW field goal; Zaire proved himself worthy of leading the team - and even held for the field goal; Golson played well under what had to be extremely emotional times; the much maligned defense came up with stops when it counted most.

There are most certainly issues that linger: Golson's future; an inability to get the ball to Bryant; replacing Riggs; staving off poaching from Harbaugh; Kelly's interest in the NFL. All that being said, I simply cannot imagine how anyone can view this victory as anything but a huge boost to the program and a glimpse of the foundation upon which Kelly could build next year's team...should he choose to use it.

This is one of the best things to come out of the ACC deal
by irishlaw2010  (2014-12-31 09:15:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The possible bowl-opponents this year were pretty good. What is nice is the number of possible SEC tie-ins:

1st place non play-off: Orange Bowl - Mississippi State

2nd place non play-off: Russell Athletic - Oklahoma

Tier 1 Bowls:
Belk - Georgia
Pinstripe - Penn State
Sun - Arizona State
Music - LSU

You are right.
by NDMike2001  (2014-12-31 08:53:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd like to see everyone, including Brian Kelly, lower the expectations for next year. This talk of competing for National Championships is ridiculous. I wouldn't want to try to hold anyone accountable for high standards.

Did you watch the ICON video?
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-31 08:41:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea how you can watch that and still think we should have declined a bowl invitation. Despite what the fanbase thinks, the team works hard year round. They deserve the extras that go along with going to the bowl game. Which is typically anywhere from $250-$500 a player in goods/gift cards.

I also don't see how you can determine that the extra practices didn't benefit the team.

In regards to 2015, the media is talking about ND being very good because they return virtually everyone. The defense played poorly late in the year because they were absolutely decimated by injuries. They will have more depth in 2015.

Chickenshit attitude ...
by NDFANSINCE81  (2014-12-31 08:14:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you want to avoid a game because it would be a financial loss, fine. If it would compromise our principles of academic integrity or Catholic identity, fine. But because you might lose, or might win? That's just chickenshit. I can't believe an ND fan would propose such a thing.

Declining a bowl invitation is not an option
by Kayo  (2014-12-31 08:02:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame has an agreement with the ACC that includes access to its bowl slots when not in the playoffs. In exchange, Notre Dame agrees to accept an invitation when it qualifies for one of the ACC's slots.

In turn, the ACC negotiates its agreements with various bowls with the tacit understanding that getting Notre Dame is part of the deal. As a result, the conference gets better better bowls because all of them know that they wil sell more tickets and achieve higher TV ratings whenever they happen to get Notre Dame.

Everyone does well in this arrangement - Notre Dame with more access to bowl, the ACC with more and better bowl contracts, and the bowls that have ACC agreements with occasional appearances by the team that gets them more revenue than any other in the sport; but the downside of ND's contract with the ACC is that it does not have the option to decline any more than full ACC member teams have the option to decline.

When it comes to bowl games, Notre Dame is an ACC member and not an independent. This isn't new. The last contract ND had with the Big East worked the same way.

You're wrong. Not accepting a bowl is lose lose.
by Bill_brasky  (2014-12-31 06:59:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It makes you look pretentious or scared. Plus ND needs to close on some key recruits and now there will hopefully be some momentum.

I don't think anyone was tricked into believing anything. *
by zahmb  (2014-12-31 07:37:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What do you mean "lose lose"?
by PWK2  (2014-12-31 07:36:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You described the loss to Notre Dame. Who is the other 'losing' party?

plus you miss bowl game practices if no bowl game* *
by craiger  (2014-12-31 07:09:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The SEC folks around here are pretty well shocked that ND
by tenndomer  (2014-12-31 07:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

beat a team from the mighty West. I fully expected an ass-whipping and dreaded the game. But, ND played a smart, physical game and won. It was a big win. Very big as far as perception goes and it will matter ongoing.
However, I was pretty stunned at Kelly's words in the ICON video and after the game when he pretty much threw Brindza under the bus for the season's collapse. It's his job to have his team mentally tough - it is what separates Meyer and Saban in my opinion. They are tough on their kids, but they don't destroy them as it appears Kelly does. i.e. Golson and Brindza.

He used Kyle as an example of someone who faced
by cujays96  (2014-12-31 10:25:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

adversity and overcame it.

Kelly regularly makes me want to punch him in his pudgy face. But not in that moment.

Giving him the game ball is throwing him under the bus?
by ndkid5  (2014-12-31 09:46:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did you watch the ICON video? I highly doubt Brindza or anyone else on that team felt like they got thrown under the bus.

Missed kicks
by fortune_smith  (2014-12-31 09:39:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given the well-documented snapping and holding problems we had, I'm surprised so many folks view BK's comment as targeted toward Brindza. I didn't interpret BK's comment that way at all.

And note Zaire mis-aligned the hold on the winning kick again yesterday -- laces facing the kicking foot.

But good, clutch kick. Terrific, nearly error-free, win with an excellent game plan. (Who would have foreseen zero turnovers and only two penalties after the timeout call before our first snap?) I can only interpret the win as an unambiguous positive. As others have noted, this should help close out a successful recruiting haul and set a very positive off-season tone for a youthful squad.

It's amusing that the huckleberries are in disbelief that we beat one of their West Division powers. Perhaps we're even good enough to stay on the field with that powerhouse tandem Ole Miss and Mississippi State, which are two of the most over-rated, over-bought teams I can recall.

Not in the video. The game ball was nice and well-earned. I
by tenndomer  (2014-12-31 10:57:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thought the comment in the post-game - and I don't remember it word for word - sounded like "if we'd made kicks at the end of the year, we would have won." Perhaps I misinterpreted because of expectations.

He threw Brindza under the bus?
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-31 09:32:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brindza was emotional when getting the game ball? What were you watching?

Threw Brindza under the bus?
by irishnut  (2014-12-31 08:14:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not a Kelly fan but I thought what he did for Brindza was good coaching. The kid had an up and down season but came through in the clutch and was acknowledged for it.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.