I think Kelly's tenure will come down to BVG.
by SEE (2014-12-30 20:39:43)
Edited on 2014-12-30 20:42:27

As bad as the turnovers have been the defense has been absolutely horrendous. Just hard to say if it's the MASH unit defense (for the second straight year), the DC, the HC or some combination. Regardless, ND is going to bring back more on defense than it loses. Russell is a potential AA and Ishaq with a maturing DL and Day coming back could be very good. Is the DC?

Zaire running and Golson passing will give ND two nice options at QB and the young OL recruits will have matured. I really like the WRs and the RBs. If Daniels comes back, the offense will really have some great talent to work with.

As an aside, Zaire blocking in front of Folston on the TD run was Holtzian.

Completely agree. It's a big variable. *
by rockmcd  (2014-12-30 22:05:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like kelly he has to adapt and run a college defense *
by btd  (2014-12-30 22:01:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, I think it will come down to keeping them off the
by 84david  (2014-12-30 22:00:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

field by long, time consuming drives with mostly runs.

That might just work.

I don't think so. *
by FourLeafDomer  (2014-12-30 21:32:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Z reminds me of Vick w/out the baggage...... *
by Wolfetone  (2014-12-30 21:24:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He reminds me of a smaller, faster Jared Lorenzen *
by sprack  (2014-12-30 21:35:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arent we all smaller faster Jard Lorenzens? *
by jmabc  (2014-12-30 21:42:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Golf clap. *
by Calmer than you are  (2014-12-30 22:42:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That two-headed quarterback monster has a chance ...
by CJC  (2014-12-30 21:20:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we can manage to get Zaire's helmet to come off at the right time.

I mean, what a brilliant fucking strategy, to figure out when to change quarterbacks based upon when their headgear comes off during play.

I missed most of the game, so I'm not sure how Kelly decided to rotate his quarterbacks in and out. It's been suggested to me that there was room for criticism, but since I didn't see most of the game ...

But seriously, whatever rhyme or reason or sorcery Kelly might have been employing the rest of the game, inserting Golson in the middle of a drive because Zaire was required to leave the game for (at least) one play and then to leave Golson in the game for the following (second) play might be the most befuddling thing I've seen from Kelly in five seasons.

And, as you might imagine, that's a pretty high bar for me.

Every other series, every third series, every other play, running plays, passing plays, plays when the wind is blowing over 15 mph, plays following a comment by Brent Musburger about a coed in the stands, whatever ....

But changing quarterbacks based upon a helmet coming off during play (and obviously, I'm not talking about the first play, but the ensuing plays)?

I guess it's better than whatever decision might have resulted from any deeper thought on Kelly's part.

Seems like Grooms was still fixing his chinstrap on the 2nd
by shea  (2014-12-31 10:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

play.

If that's the case ...
by CJC  (2014-12-31 12:29:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he needs to spend more time honing his craft and less time on social media.

And whenever the hell Zaire's equipment was ready for action, my point (question) stands.

I'm going to enjoy this buzz of a totally unexpected win...
by Scoop80  (2014-12-30 21:25:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it there was an underlying logic to BK's use of his QBs today, he kept it well-hidden.

No way, you're being like Kelly
by irishrock  (2014-12-30 21:10:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And trying too hard to show your genius.

If Kelly ran a ball controlled that placed a focus on time of possession, he loses 1-2 games a year through his ND career.

He coaches too cute

It's not that complicated a point. You can't win a NC
by SEE  (2014-12-30 21:22:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

without an excellent defense.

I love a great running game, but if BVG is failing against spread offenses, that's not going to work.

it's an open question right now.

I don't care what D is out there
by irishrock  (2014-12-30 21:57:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If our D is on the field 35+ minutes a game! it will struggle. I'd say the same thing about AL, OR, and Stanford.

Kellys offensive system and capability are much bigger. ?'s *
by AZDomer  (2014-12-30 21:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure on BVG. I think Kelly's iffense will average 30 +
by SEE  (2014-12-30 21:55:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The defense I have no clue in. BVG had a rough stretch at Auburn and now here.

I think he'll revert to playstation and blow some easy wins
by AZDomer  (2014-12-30 22:04:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And then get fired because of it.

Today's game plan was a case study in how to protect
by cujays96  (2014-12-30 21:01:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an poor defense. If the same offensive game plan was run with a competent defense, it would make that defense look great.

Kelly will succeed or fail because of Kelly.

Agree. It's a big reason why you run.
by AraStopTheSnow  (2014-12-30 21:12:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along with Lou's stated additional reason: Constantly honing your running game in practice makes your defense more physical thanks to practicing against it.

I love the running game, but if BVG
by SEE  (2014-12-30 21:26:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

isn't the answer, ti won't matter how much we run.

Agree. It's all on Kelly either way. I think the offense
by SEE  (2014-12-30 21:11:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will be better with less turnovers. If BVG is really a good DC this team has a shot. If he isn't, no shot.

You're nuts
by Section 12  (2014-12-30 20:56:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NVTS nuts

No. *
by Brahms  (2014-12-30 20:50:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't
by AZDomer  (2014-12-30 20:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND has had championship defenses under BK. It;s been the offensive inconsistency thats cost ND so many games under Kelly.

It's about his ability to look at himself critically and stop being so personally invested in his offensive system.

It all comes down to Kelly, it's all at his feet. If he fails, it will be 100% about him and no one else.

I thought it had already been decided that he's been a failure *
by CaptainIrish  (2014-12-30 21:01:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tonight isn't the night to pee in cheerios. *
by AZDomer  (2014-12-30 21:39:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK is a 9-4 HC at a program where 10-3 is expected...
by Scoop80  (2014-12-30 20:45:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the rest is detail. I did find it entertaining that a HC whose record (100-30) exactly averaged to 10-3, in the thrill of this victory, fearlessly forecast a top 4 finish for ND next year.

If you bet on the team losing 4 games next year...
by irish628  (2014-12-30 21:33:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...you will lose.

' cause they'll probably lose 5! *
by Ccndbound  (2014-12-30 22:00:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top 4 should be the expectation for next year.
by Rilo  (2014-12-30 20:55:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holtz isn't a batty old man, he prefaced his statement with "I've looked at schedule..." He's publicly setting the bar for 2015. I think that's his understated way of saying that the underachievement needs to end.

I loved Holtz's post-game comments...
by Scoop80  (2014-12-30 21:07:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They provided an excellent contrast to our AD's recent comments. If excellence is no longer the goal @ ND, we might as well Get Used To It w/ playing weekday bowl games in Nashville.

At the USC pep rally this year, one of Holtz's guys said
by ocmj  (2014-12-30 21:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Mediocrity is never an option." Maybe we should replace the sign in the locker room.

Apparently, that was taken the wrong way that night... *
by gozer  (2014-12-30 21:32:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The team wasn't there - obviously!
by ocmj  (2014-12-30 21:43:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was such a matter-of-fact statement from a different era that made me very sad at the time.

I wondered if Lou wanted to put that pressure on Kelly.
by AraStopTheSnow  (2014-12-30 21:14:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so, great.