Bruce Feldman says Kelly is NCAA coach most likely to NFL
by rkellyatrecess (2014-12-16 14:25:52)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

On NFL's Move The Sticks podcast. First interview. Link attached.

All I want for Christmas is for this to be true. *
by The Flash  (2014-12-17 12:29:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't understand why Brian Kelly would be attractive to
by irishwolfhound  (2014-12-17 07:32:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a pro team. He does not have an offense that would be appealing in the pros. He has done a lousy job on special teams. I son't see why he would be desirable to any pro team.

26 years head coaching experience! Won everywhere he's been! *
by YodaDame  (2014-12-17 13:17:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stifle yourself. Put lipstick on him and sell him to the NFL *
by The Flash  (2014-12-17 12:28:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . man ! ! ! *
by other_guy  (2014-12-17 11:05:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now you've done it. *
by oldirishfan  (2014-12-17 11:03:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

God
by irish2x  (2014-12-17 09:22:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

damnit!!!

icks-nay on the oaching-cay *
by 84david  (2014-12-17 09:05:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ban this guy! *
by cujays96  (2014-12-17 08:47:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shh!
by wiNDycityfan  (2014-12-17 07:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This stuff can come up in searches.

Kelly is on par with Belichick
by AlanND90  (2014-12-17 10:05:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Now THAT will come up in Google searches, too.)

Pete Carroll said he left for the pros to avoid having to
by HennaOrNo  (2014-12-17 11:20:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coach against Brian Kelly

Vince Lombardi would say Brian Kelly wouldn't lose a game
by wiNDycityfan  (2014-12-17 12:29:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he just runs out of time.

I think the available options are better than they have been
by Bagimus Maximus  (2014-12-16 19:17:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Specifically the B list candidates.

As long as we don't let ESPN handle our search, we'll land on our feet and be better for it in 2 years.

Can you list those available options? *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2014-12-16 21:22:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if the Bears and ND swap coaches
by El Capitan  (2014-12-16 19:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am going to have an awful lot of free time to catch up on my reading.

Though I don't personally agree with the policy,
by 84david  (2014-12-17 09:15:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack has stated in pretty much concrete terms that he will only pursue coaches with significant college experience.

So I don't think we have to worry about Trestman.

Lose - lose *
by irishhawk49  (2014-12-16 21:08:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Question for the group ...
by Chuck84  (2014-12-16 17:40:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a preface, I don't like Kelly. I never really have for many reasons. I won't restate them all here. But, I am predisposed to wanting him to go.

So, now my question ...

Who here thinks we are ready to secure a viable replacement if he leaves?

I don't. Nothing about the 2008 and 2009 postseason encourages me to think we'd get the next hire right. And, nothing before Swarbrick's tenure makes me believe ND does this well at all.

Nothing.

We'll screw it up again.

You just articulated my greatest fear in this situation. *
by MattyMcD  (2014-12-17 17:19:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is anyone really prepared to secure a viable replacement?
by Queensman  (2014-12-17 16:56:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess my answer is that we're probably as prepared as anyone these days. What schools in memory really seemed to have their shit together and hired an all star coach? In retrospect, the best hires I recall are:

1) Saban, Alabama - however this is after they tripped all over themselves trying to hire Rich Rod and thought they had him and finally got turned down. While this was going on, Saban realized this NFL shit wasn't for him. Then Alabama backed up the Brinks truck to get him to save face from the Rich Rod diaster (i.e. blessing).

2) Carrol, USC - I think we all know what a clusterfuck that hiring process was. Carrol was choice 5 or 6 and everyone laughed at them when they made it.

3) Meyer, FLA - Everyone loves Foley for his hiring of Meyer and McElwain. But he was also responsible for hiring Zook and Muschamp...both of which turned out so bad that he a month head start on everyone else to find their replacements. And there is no guarantee McElwain turns out to be any good at FLA.

4) Meyer, OSU - The result of a huge clusterfuck with Tressel and being forced into using an interim coach for a year. Meanwhile as it turns out, one of best coaching minds decides to hang it up and do some announcing. That coach was also born and raised in Ohio and sitting on the sidelines when it was time for OSU to find a full time replacement.

5) Tie Chip Kelly, Jimbo Fisher, Mark Helfrich - All of which were internal hires and products of their system. This is more of testament to Mike Bellotti and lesser extent Bobby Bowden than their AD's.

Conclusion:

Ultimately, based on #5 above, it turns out that its Lou Holtz's fault we're in this mess to begin with! He had to go and hire Bob Davie and curse us with 20yrs of mediocre football. (kidding)

Who cares if we're prepared, its more about whether we're gonna get lucky.

Would you rather have an interim coach?
by Bruno95  (2014-12-17 09:14:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think ND would land a good replacement in January. I'd generally rather have an interim coach than make a long-term mistake on some dildo like Fitzgerald. But next year's team really could be decent, and that would be wasted with an interim coach.

Dan Mullen is the name that seems to come up most often. I'm not sure about Dan Mullen. He's outpacing Mississippi State's norm, in a great conference, but 2014 is the first and only year with the success we'd want. In his fourth and fifth seasons, he went a combined 15-11.

Still, while he wouldn't be my first choice (Malzahn would be), I'd probably hire Mullen if possible. If not, I think I'd use an interim coach and see what the pool looks like in 2015.

Only if it was necessary to get the right guy, long-term *
by Chuck84  (2014-12-17 14:06:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another problem with an interim is..........
by Ty Webb  (2014-12-17 11:02:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it basically fucks up two recruiting classes.

This one could come apart at the seams with an interim coach and then what kid is going to listen to a recruiting pitch from a lame duck, interim coach for the next class?

I like that Mullen coached under Meyer. But I don't know
by smcchick  (2014-12-17 09:56:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

much else about Mullen.

No one should stay in a broken relationship out of fear...
by wiNDycityfan  (2014-12-17 07:12:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of not finding somebody new. Not quite the same situation, but the adage does apply here.

I'd much rather cut my losses with a known mistake and take my chances on finding my nut, as blind as this squirrel has been.

Gary Patterson *
by gond570  (2014-12-16 23:25:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are due to hire a good one by accident. Like USC
by btd  (2014-12-16 23:24:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

did with the Poodle. No one thought he would be worth a shit when USC hired him. I tend to agree with you and figure the only way we get a great hire at this point and with who we know to exist is if it happens by accident.

I want Kelly out of ND, but I almost view him as an interim coach right now. A warm body that is I guess better than Ty at least to hopefully tread water until we find someone else that swings open/ready to come.

To get a great coach we need to be like Florida and fire Kelly mid season. Then we are first in line for whatever exists that year. Oddly, that's more or less what we did with Faust and we got Holtz that time.

I think we're looking
by acrossdmiddle  (2014-12-16 22:27:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack has proven himself savvier than most believed several times over the last few years (the Weis and Kelly debacles aside). I think he's learned his lessons and he's out there talking to interested parties. I don't know anything, but I think that if Kelly leaves us high, we won't be dry.

How can you charactorize Kelly's tenure as a "debacle"? *
by seamus85  (2014-12-17 11:08:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I should've clarified
by acrossdmiddle  (2014-12-17 11:36:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was talking specifically about having a short-list ready when Weis shit the bed and Kelly flirted with the NFL. I guess we don't know for certain that JS didn't have someone warming up in the bullpen in January 2013, and I'm not sure I can completely blame him given how much momentum Kelly had at that point.

Any non Irish available ?
by 84david  (2014-12-16 21:39:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd even settle for an eye talian this time.

You will likely be right for the wrong reasons.
by Ocdomer78  (2014-12-16 21:06:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are few options better than Kelly., whatever his limitations. Easy to fire a coach, hard to replace him.

If we get it wrong it will not be due to incompetence, but lack of timely, quality replacements. Look around. You are delusional if you believe there are slam dunk options sitting out there. You are also delusional if you believe that the ND job is viewed as the best college gig there is.

I have heard many names thrown around here, and not one that is viable excites me. I have also not seem one hire by any school over the past two years that fires me up and that I think would fire up those on this board.

I am not trying to defend Kelly. I am just depressed at the options available.

I agree about how hard it is to find a replacement for Kelly
by IrishJoeinnc  (2014-12-17 10:51:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but unless a Davie, Willingham, possibily Weis, there is nobody who could screw the team up worse than what we've just witnessed. That was an unbelievqbly bad coached team.

I'm sure after Kelly leaves I'll be wanting a better replacement because it is almost a given that a poor coach will be chosen. Hopefully it won't be the worst coach in the country which seems to be the modus operandi.

I know one thing I want Kelly fired and I likely never will wish he was ND's coach.

The timing could be right for Stoops...
by Irishdemon  (2014-12-16 21:57:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

… when it comes to the 'slam dunk' hire that would excite the masses.

You lock the door, sit at the table and don't leave until there's a deal.

Give him what he wants.

Otherwise as I mentioned here yesterday, Utah's Kyle Whittingham should be targeted and I hope would be willing to make a move to a program like Notre Dame.

I like the way Utah plays and competes in the Pac-12 despite not having high level recruits across the board.

Whittingham is 14-22 since Utah moved to Pac 12.
by rockmcd  (2014-12-16 23:38:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you thought Kelly was small timey 5 years ago, or now for that matter, then Whittingham may not be the candidate for you.

You want to pull numbers to prove a point?
by Irishdemon  (2014-12-17 09:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about 6-1 in bowl games including a beat down of Nick Saban and Alabama in the 2009 Sugar Bowl to cap off a 13-0 season?

We're talking about viable candidates if Kelly high tails it out of here in early January.

HIs teams fight like dogs in the Pac-12 despite having inferior talent.

If Bob Stoops or Dan Mullen aren't interested in two weeks, I'd really like to know your list of coaches who you'd think would take the job.

Make no mistake, Whittingham is not a home run hire and is no sure thing but in my opinion he may end up being the best option.

He lacks major program experience.
by rockmcd  (2014-12-17 14:03:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've read a lot of speculation that Kelly was a poor hire to begin with because he lacked major program experience, and that made him incapable of achieving consistent high level success at ND. The argument that Kelly did well at Cincinnati with weak talent has been used against him by many, saying that he doesn't know what to do with elite athletes (not sure I agree with that last part, but it's an argument that's been made).

If that is the case, then we should look for someone who has been an assistant at a major program and then had some relative success as a head coach in a P5 conference.

Whittingham did a solid job taking over for Urban at Utah, and that one special season in 2008 is a huge feather in his cap, but in the four years since they joined the Pac 12 they have not elevated their program. They have finished 2nd to last in the Pac 12 South (only ahead of pitiful Colorado) 3 consecutive years, and this is the first time in 3 years that they were even bowl eligible. Sure, they've had some occasional upset wins but so has Northwestern, and 4 years in they're still closer to the cellar of their conference. Even his 2nd best team at Utah got dominated by a 4-5 ND team.

By comparison, Gary Patterson also lacks major program experience, succeeded in the Mountain West, won a major bowl game, and struggled initially after upgraded to a P5 conference. But unlike Whittingham, Patterson got his program back in the Top 10 in only his 3rd year after the conference upgrade.

So to answer your question, I would target Patterson before I would target Whittingham, and I'd look at a lot of other guys that have had more success than Whittingham has in major conferences (Dantonio, Mullen, Gundy, and others). But that's just my opinion. I think the larger point is that after Saban/Meyer/Stoops, there isn't a candidate out there who doesn't have some flaws in his resume.

His teams compete extremely well with about 50% of the
by Marble Rye  (2014-12-17 01:40:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

roster talent of his Pac 12 competition (the exceptions being OSU,Colorado and Wazzou). They play a tough, hard-nosed brand of football. I have no sense of how he is as a recruiter.

I doubt Stoops has any interest
by gadomer  (2014-12-16 23:10:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He also knows an 11-1 OU team gets in before tOSU. I wouldn't be surprised if he shared the opinion that an 11-1 ND team would be on the outside looking in.

Now, Whittingham; that would be intriguing. I hope he doesn't end up at Michigan.

I'm right there with you. The only consensus no brainers are
by rockmcd  (2014-12-16 21:52:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saban/Meyer/Stoops. After that there will probably be diversity of opinion on anybody they might hire.

That's not to say that they shouldn't fire Kelly if he goes 8-4 next year, or 9-3 depending on how it looks. But unless Stoops wants the job this time, the best they can do is take a calculated risk on somebody with a flawed or incomplete resume.

I do not claim to know the inner workings of the ND
by irpa  (2014-12-16 20:09:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Athletic Department. If one of my higher ranking employees had flirted with another company in 2012, I would certainly have a succession plan in place. My gut tells me the same has happened here. I think the Kelly/Eagles thing probably still irks the AD. If asked to predict who the next coach will be should Kelly leave in the next 3 weeks, I would say Mullen or Gruden. Please drink the beer before throwing the bottles...

OSU adroitly had Luke Fickell man the store until UM
by Airborneirish  (2014-12-16 19:40:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

showed up. Worked out well.

OSU adroitly fell into some dumb luck. *
by SorinBasement  (2014-12-16 20:33:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The timing of Tressel's ouster meant it
by cujays96  (2014-12-16 20:05:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had to be someone internal.

Tend to agree but
by DCDave  (2014-12-16 18:15:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with him interviewing post the 2012 shellacking it might have led the AD to put some feelers out for a replacement.

Also I share your opinion on BK. I've been patiently (not really) waiting his exit since 2010... In fact I've sort of lost interest in ND winning (never rooted for them to lose) and it's caused friction with my family because they can tell I don't like him.

If by 'viable' you mean upper echelon -
by ugoirish  (2014-12-16 18:01:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

championship winning or near championship winning (e.g., I personally don't consider 2012 to be 'near championship' for ND) or someone who's been highly competitive in one of the top conferences or the NFL then, no. Swarbrick might be ready to achieve that but I wouldn't think that it's likely. It's more likely that the only way we'll get a viable candidate is if Swarbrick finds someone who will grow into the job - he'll have to get lucky. And, yes, I'm fully, painfully aware that this is the normal way championship coaches are discovered but Notre Dame is not a normal school. It's not a very good incubator.

Which ND coaching hires fit your definition?
by NJDoubleDomer  (2014-12-16 19:06:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ara - yes
Devine - I argue not. That hire was viewed as Joyce keeping a promise
Faust - Yikes
Lou - maybe, but had many rough spots on the old resume
Davie - no
Ty - no
Weis - no
Kelly - no
Our batting average isn't very good on hiring 'upper echelon' guys.

Devine and Holtz clearly qualified as upper-echelon
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-12-16 20:50:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Devine's WP was .887 at ASU and .697 at Missouri. Holtz's WP was .719 at NC State and .735 at Arkansas. To this day, each of those WPs are the best at each of those schools in the last 90+ years.

That's not to deny ND was somewhat fortunate to land both coaches. Devine was about to be fired by the Packers, and Holtz was forced out of Arkansas by Broyles (WP: .707) and had a clause at Minnesota specifically allowing him to bolt at will if ND came calling. Nevertheless, both were upper-echelon college coaches who performed as well as we could reasonably expect.

Interesting that they were both failed pro coaches. Not sure
by Rosecrea  (2014-12-16 21:45:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what to make of that...probably not much, I guess.

So were Carroll and Saban
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-12-16 22:52:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Switzer won a Super Bowl but was fired 2 years later, so he's rightly deemed a failure, too. Other college coaches have succeeded in the NFL: Johnson (at Dallas, at least), Coughlin (although those two SB wins were pretty damned lucky), and so far, Chip Kelly.

I don't think the history bodes well for Shanty, should he land an NFL job.

Dan Mullen seems like the obvious low-hanging fruit hire
by irishaddict  (2014-12-16 18:20:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I personally think he would be a pretty big upgrade over Kelly and would be happy to have him. But I agree that he's not an upper-echelon coach and maybe he wouldn't be as easy a hire as I think.

Why do you assume Mullen is low hanging fruit?
by rockmcd  (2014-12-16 21:42:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a shitload of money to be made in the SEC. Even if he wants to eventually leave Miss St, his view of upward mobility may be to bounce around within the conference the way that Saban, Petrino, and Spurrier have done in the past.

Meh. I hope it's not him. *
by Skip Encarnacion  (2014-12-16 20:28:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be pretty happy with him also.
by ugoirish  (2014-12-16 18:45:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he'd satisfy the "highly competitive in one of the top conferences" piece. He probably wouldn't be my first choice but he'd be a definite upgrade over Kelly.

Even that's giving him too much credit.
by BMEYER06  (2014-12-16 19:17:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a flavor-of-the-month guy. He has lost more SEC games than he's won.

If he hadn't, he wouldn't be on anybody's list
by rkellyatrecess  (2014-12-16 20:05:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top SEC coaches are untouchable. No other jobs can offer the same combination of money and availability of talent.

He's a "candidate" precisely because he's done very well
by Rosecrea  (2014-12-16 21:38:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with less talent "available" to him than almost any other SEC school other than Vanderbilt.

I have a bad feeling that mitquinn has it right *
by NGIrish09  (2014-12-16 17:48:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet Fitz would stand us up
by Chuck84  (2014-12-16 17:51:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which, while good, would be monumentally embarrassing.

So if Kelly leaves for the NFL,
by jarheadvet  (2014-12-16 17:36:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what is the timing of his departure? After the bowl game, before signing day? After signing day? Spring practice? Negotiating while preparing for our next Championship game?

Who is next in? Dan Mullens? Saban (gotta at least make that call)? Or, do you think the AD already has this lined up like when Ara left and when Faust left (their replacements - Devine and Holtz respectively - were in pretty quickly I think )?

Didn't he leave Cincinnati before their big bowl game?
by mkovac  (2014-12-16 18:34:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Cincinnati lost?

There's a difference this time.
by dbldomer7375  (2014-12-16 19:50:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame is not playing a big bowl game.

Probably just wants raises for his assistants *
by KevinG  (2014-12-16 17:33:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if he's looking, we're looking.... *
by Brahms  (2014-12-16 16:55:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One would hope so.
by SWPaDem  (2014-12-16 17:16:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the pickings may be slim if we haven't already started in earnest.

Trace Armstrong is earning his money. *
by cujays96  (2014-12-16 16:39:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bruce Bowen's sources tell him that Bruce Feldman
by HennaOrNo  (2014-12-16 16:30:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

said that Kelly is NCAA coach most likely to the NFL

Beats the hell out of my usual lump of coal. *
by CJC  (2014-12-16 16:10:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey,
by Chuck84  (2014-12-16 17:54:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Jack Swarbrick, our AD, right here tonight ...

Swarbrick should be ready to bounce Kelly *
by SEE  (2014-12-16 16:02:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he might be, but
by Groundhog  (2014-12-17 03:33:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He'd likely have to do some convincing of the folks above him.

He certainly should be
by Chuck84  (2014-12-16 18:13:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But, c'mon this is ND. We're a bunch of stand-up guys. We don't contact other people while we already have a coach. That's not the way ND does business. Gotta take the high road. Be deferential to our coach.

If Kelly is letting his agent float his name around, I
by SEE  (2014-12-16 18:40:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wonder if that's enough to light Swarbrick's fire. He seems to rise to challenges at the conference level (though I think we're screwed in the playoff scheme.)

One would hope after 2012, he is ready
by NJDoubleDomer  (2014-12-16 16:19:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect there is a lot of friction between the two. I know many here belittle the AD, but he's no dope and I think has a long memory.

Kelly's move in 2012 really cost him
by SEE  (2014-12-16 16:32:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

any loyalty from anybody. I don't begrudge him wanting the NFL... but fucking around with the NC on the line makes him unsalvagable for a loyal fan base unless you win like crazy.

It starts @ about 13:50. "maybe that's the 49ers guy"
by cj  (2014-12-16 16:00:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's around the 15 minute mark...

Possible open jobs: SF, Oakland, Miami, Chicago?
by Bruno95  (2014-12-16 15:51:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyone else?

You know who hired a great coach? Seattle. And Philly. Buffalo, too. The recent track records of college coaches in the NFL has been pretty good.

Chicago is usually a pretty cheap organization, so I could
by smcchick  (2014-12-16 16:09:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

see them thinking they would save money by getting Kelly. However, they signed a big contract with Cutler so the family might be not as thrifty as they used to be.

Oakland is making their way out of the insane asylum, so they may be less inclined to make irrational decisions.

I can't see San Francisco touching Kelly. Miami maybe.

SF is also a dumb organization.
by Skip Encarnacion  (2014-12-16 20:35:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harbaugh fell into their lap.

Don't rule them out for the Kelly sweepstakes.

I agree. San Fran seems weird since the passionate
by MistakenD  (2014-12-16 17:00:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jed York is related to Debartolo and went to ND apparently at the same time I did. Never partied with the kid. It's hilarious to me considering what I do for a living at this age and that he has been tasked with running an NFL organization. Regardless, no doubt he has noticed the ND malfeasance and won't bite on Kelly.

For the same reason, I think that Harbaugh to ND would be negated by the fact that the Debartolo clan does not seem to be a Harbaugh fan.

Jets, Giants, Jacksonville(Maybe) *
by ryND  (2014-12-16 15:53:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now Coughlin is expected to keep his job for 2015 *
by Clarence Beeks  (2014-12-16 16:41:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Atlanta, Carolina, DC - also all possibly vacant *
by irishlaw2010  (2014-12-16 15:58:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Candles and pews being lit in churches around the country *
by Frank Drebin  (2014-12-16 15:42:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can also start a Christmas novena today. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2014-12-16 16:18:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I approve this message *
by wiNDycityfan  (2014-12-16 15:39:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The gates of Hades would be opened
by mitquinn  (2014-12-16 16:29:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the PTB would hand over the keys to the anti-christ.

Just ate man, making me lose my lunch. *
by ryND  (2014-12-16 16:36:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Honest question
by NDde  (2014-12-16 15:34:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Kelly can't do particularly well with a team (ND) that has more talent than at least 80% of its opponents, how is he going field a winning team in the pros, where the playing field is much more level? I just don't get why pro teams would be attracted to him.

The Redskins come to mind. If they dump Jay
by domerfromkansas  (2014-12-16 17:33:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gruden, Snyder will have a helluva time getting someone who's got a successful NFL track record.

It's the players fault.
by IrishFanIndy2003  (2014-12-16 17:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK has next level schemes... a schematic advantage even. He has wonderfully designed plays. He knows just when to call the right play. Unfortunately he has been let down by players who fail to execute...

Now if he had professional players who didn't let him down - think of how he would shine!

He could also field a staff of his cronies, including Bob Diaco and Chuck Martin.

Make room for a Lombardi Trophy.

If he had Peyton Manning, maybe he could
by The Oak  (2014-12-16 17:22:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do what Kelly demands of a quarterback.

There aren't many good NFL coaches
by choanser  (2014-12-16 16:01:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here is how someone would justify hiring him (not saying it is correct, but this is probably the party line):

- He won at Cincy and he brought ND to the national championship game
- Started well this year, but defense got ravaged by injury. Had to deal with academic issues
- Hasn't had good QB's but still managed to get 12, 9 and 7 (maybe 8) wins out of them the last few years
- He's a good gameday play caller. Plays are open, players don't execute.
- He is bad at special teams and defense, but he can hire for that and he's going to be dealing with professional athletes, not walk ons. He doesn't need to coach them up, they already have been
- ND is similar to the NFL microscope and he hasn't blown himself up in the spotlight. He can talk the talk

We can obviously poke holes in any of the above statements, but I think the most important reality is this. Mike Smith, Marc Trestman, Rex Ryan, Tony Sparano, and Ken Whisenhut are likely gone in the next 2 weeks, and a few more guys might be joining them (lovey Smith, Coughlin, Gus Bradley). The pool of potential replacements isn't deep and doesn't include the best college coaches (Saban, Meyer, Fisher).

He's a good gameday playcaller?
by Brahms  (2014-12-16 16:49:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oy.

He does a shit job getting his team prepared on a consistent basis.

His record hiring assitants has been mediocre.

NFL criteria is different than ours
by NDGrover  (2014-12-16 15:59:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coughlin is a good example. He was never a coordinator at any level. His record at BC was good but not outstanding. But he was a competent CEO type HC who ran a tight operation. He was up to the task of being a pro coach, which is actually a skill few coaches have.

Of course, Coughlin was tutored by Parcells, while Kelly is so wonderfully self-taught. So it's not apples to apples. But there are similarities in style, discipline, and organization. And I bet NFL teams think Kelly can at least manage the job, which is a priority in a world where the Mark Trestmans and Jim Schwartzes--tremendous X's and O's guys--wither when they become top dog.

don't you know NFL execs peruse this board daily
by irishrock  (2014-12-16 15:35:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please stop with the negativity or we're never going to get rid of this guy

^^This^^ We're darn lucky to have someone with 35 yrs
by ryND  (2014-12-16 15:39:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of coaching experience and any team who hires him will not regret it.

Second NFL person to say this so far this week.
by ryND  (2014-12-16 14:30:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume Feldman has no ties to Trace Armstrong.

Probably copied his answer. Suspend him for the year. *
by rockmcd  (2014-12-16 14:47:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, form committee. Don't rush things. Hearings follow. *
by cajunlawyer  (2014-12-16 15:06:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.