sort of
by jt (2024-04-27 19:08:06)
Edited on 2024-04-27 19:10:41

In reply to: Not to defend the usage, but I think there's a rationale  posted by garbageplate

edge can be a DE or outside lb, but they don't always rush from the edge; their job is to set the edge in the running game and (depending on the scheme and call) either force plays back inside to interior (ILB) pursuit or spill plays outside to exterior (S) pursuit.

A 3 technique can be either strong side (even front, which will have two DE's on the OT's, a DT to strength lined up outside shade of the guard, and a DT over the weakside guard lined up inside--commonly called a 2i) or to the weak side in an "under" front (a Pete Carroll specialty--2 DE's, one DT lined up in either an inside shade of the guard in a 2i or a shade on the center in a 1 or a tilt, and a 3 technique to the weakside, and usually an OLB or SS lined up outside the TE). When you line up the 3 to the weakside, you're trying to dictate the protection/slide call for the OL and create a backside 1 on 1 for the 3 and WDE. If you run that from an odd front (3 DL, 4 LB's), the WLB usually lines up as a WDE in a stand up, then the 3, then the 1 to strength, then the 5, than the Sam OLB in a stand up. The Niners used to run that front a lot under George Seifert when they had Charles Haley (played the "Elephant" hybrid between a DE and OLB) and then later Chris Doleman. Their DL at the time looked like this from strong to weak-5,0,3. You need a dominant NT to really do it.

Replies: