simple adjustments would help college football OT
by jt (2024-02-20 17:38:36)

In reply to: Agreed! I wish college football would transition to this  posted by Pat85

the easiest one I can think of is to move field position from the 25 to midfield.

My biggest problem with college football OT
by tf86  (2024-03-07 13:48:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that it eliminates two very important variables from consideration: field position and the game clock. It also eliminates special teams from consideration as well, with the exception of the PAT/FG unit.

That would be a fix in the regular season
by Pat85  (2024-02-20 18:56:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but with the playoff games taking over the sport, would 1 guaranteed possession under normal football rules extend the game a significant number of plays on average, with only 2-point tries on TDs, and if tied after 1 possession each, next score wins? Shootouts are tolerable in the regular season, but I would prefer the new NFL style OT in the playoffs. You have a better sense of just how big of an issue number of plays is for college age athletes, but unless that is a compelling case, use the NFL rules.

Much better or play a ten minute OT
by SixShutouts66  (2024-02-20 18:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I admit to being a fogey and think tie games are OK The best OTs in sports are those which stay closest to normal rules. Baseball. Basketball, playoff hockey, and golf are good in that regard. Tennis and FB less so

Your idea of moving the ball back rewards god defenses. I hate OT field goals on an initial 4th and 15

I loved ties in regular season
by ram  (2024-02-22 14:02:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Made OT special in playoffs

I agree with the rest of your post, too

At least have to make a 1st down or 2 to kick a FG

As a HS wrestler before reg season OT, I had 2 ties: 1 vs a very good wrestler. 1 vs a poor one
1 got me a big pat on the back & the other almost cost me my starting spot