look, there were a variety of mistakes in OT
by jt (2024-02-20 17:36:08)

In reply to: Oh, for sure, I won't defend Wilks  posted by ndzippy

and in the game in general. I believe that is a game the Niners should have won and basically completely blew it, and it started in the first drive of the game and continued through overtime; nobody is immune from blame, including (and especially) Shanahan.

We have the benefit of hindsight here, but I think that is basically came down to OL play and mangled pro schemes (looking back at the tape, apparently there were 4 plays that would have been td's with better pro, and there were 6 other potential shot plays where things didn't hit because of pressure. You can't hit on everything, but your % needs to be higher than that) as well as questionable defensive play calls at crucial moments. The Niners are very lucky Kelce didn't score at the end of the game, as an example. They're very lucky they got out of the first half without giving up a td. The Chiefs were able to get Kelce isolated on a LB (Warner is elite, but he is still a LB) and use his leverage against him in the second half; Wilks was standing there on the sidelines doing his inner Ty Willingham/wooden Indian routine and had no answers.

It was completely blown; those pointing out missed holding calls and overtime strategy are basically missing the point. For one, the officiating was extremely poor for both teams, and secondly it never should have come down to that. Kyle absolutely knows that this is the case, IMO. He knows that this game was blown. Hopefully he gets another chance, and hopefully Wilks and everyone else from the Willingham regime never coaches again for any team I root for (alas, Denbrock, but everyone knows how I feel about that).