Agreed! I wish college football would transition to this
by Pat85 (2024-02-20 14:11:41)

In reply to: It seems like the NFL has finally gotten OT right with this  posted by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen

at least for playoffs. Both pro and college football have evolved to the point where offense has a big advantage. Giving both teams a possession, perhaps with only 2-point tries on TDs, should resolve a winner in an efficient time frame that will replicate the natural way the game is played instead of a contrived shootout that is unnecessary.

Are college offenses efficient enough for this?
by Irish_Texan  (2024-02-21 12:08:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems that in general college offenses are less efficient than NFL (with the caveat that so are the defenses) which means an "extra innings" approach would be less likely to result in a quick resolution to the game. Thoughts?

Average college football game score is 10 points per game
by Pat85  (2024-02-21 17:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

higher than NFL. Not sure that answers your question, but I would guess either the NFL or college football would resolve a winner in a fairly similar amount of time (and quantity of plays), with college perhaps being done even faster. I would add the must go for 2-points on a TD (less than 50% conversation) to expedite a final result quicker in the two TDs on first possession scenario.

simple adjustments would help college football OT
by jt  (2024-02-20 17:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the easiest one I can think of is to move field position from the 25 to midfield.

My biggest problem with college football OT
by tf86  (2024-03-07 13:48:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that it eliminates two very important variables from consideration: field position and the game clock. It also eliminates special teams from consideration as well, with the exception of the PAT/FG unit.

That would be a fix in the regular season
by Pat85  (2024-02-20 18:56:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but with the playoff games taking over the sport, would 1 guaranteed possession under normal football rules extend the game a significant number of plays on average, with only 2-point tries on TDs, and if tied after 1 possession each, next score wins? Shootouts are tolerable in the regular season, but I would prefer the new NFL style OT in the playoffs. You have a better sense of just how big of an issue number of plays is for college age athletes, but unless that is a compelling case, use the NFL rules.

Much better or play a ten minute OT
by SixShutouts66  (2024-02-20 18:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I admit to being a fogey and think tie games are OK The best OTs in sports are those which stay closest to normal rules. Baseball. Basketball, playoff hockey, and golf are good in that regard. Tennis and FB less so

Your idea of moving the ball back rewards god defenses. I hate OT field goals on an initial 4th and 15

I loved ties in regular season
by ram  (2024-02-22 14:02:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Made OT special in playoffs

I agree with the rest of your post, too

At least have to make a 1st down or 2 to kick a FG

As a HS wrestler before reg season OT, I had 2 ties: 1 vs a very good wrestler. 1 vs a poor one
1 got me a big pat on the back & the other almost cost me my starting spot