NFL: Top 10 Dynasties, Top 20 Dynasties of Heartbreak
by G.K.Chesterton (2024-02-18 23:36:00)
Edited on 2024-02-18 23:41:36

Bryce Knowles, using DVOA data, has updated his list of NFL Dynasties and Dynasties of Heartbreak. The latter listing is more interesting for those of us trying to quantify our misery. Note that some dynasties, whether good or bad, are different in length than others. (The Broncos have a 24-season dynasty of heartbreak.)

Comment: People forget how many conference titles games were lost by Super Bowl-winning coaches John Madden and Andy Reid.

How do the Joe Gibbs Redskins teams rank?
by 1978Irish  (2024-03-11 10:28:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They won 3 Super Bowls and lost a 4th between 1983 and 1992 and competed against some great 49er, Giants, Bears and Cowboy teams

I’m always a little cautious about pre 50s teams.
by usaf_irish  (2024-02-22 18:48:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not so say that those teams weren’t great, but the nature of football at the time seemed to always be in a state of disarray.

Thanks for posting
by saintapollonia  (2024-02-19 13:31:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is rather fascinating. In particular, the heartbreak section was interesting. Not to toss cold water on fans or anything. There is often both the eye test, and now some higher level analytics to measure things, especially related to the bar room pissing contests of what constitutes "best ever" debates. We often forget and discount teams or individuals that don't quite win the championship, or miss out on an extended run. That's life.

Something interesting to watch is a rather well done piece by Secret Base/Dorktown on the Vikings. I thought it was quite well done. Of course, I think Bud Grant is awesome. I think he's severely underrated...likely due to not winning a Super Bowl. Of course, as a Steeler fan, I think Noll is underrated even with four wins in the Super Bowl.

Dorktown/Secret Base has some great videos. The Dave Stieb one is well done. I find them to be great watches when killing time or when insomnia is being a pest.