Apropos of the Penn State thread below
by WilfordBrimley (2017-03-30 16:43:09)

Al Lord, former CEO of Sallie Mae and current Penn State trustee, said the following in an e-mail:

"Running out of sympathy for 35 yr old, so-called victims with 7 digit net worth," Lord said in the email sent Saturday. "Do not understand why they were so prominent in trial. As you learned, Graham Spanier never knew Sandusky abused anyone."

Latest article (April 2nd) about the Spanier trial. (link)
by ArasEra  (2017-04-02 16:12:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I predicted
by doolinbanjos  (2017-04-03 08:18:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Defenders of Mr. Spanier and the late football coach Joe Paterno used the jury’s split decision to double-down on their support."

Throw in that one juror has regrets for even the one conviction...

The jury foreman is already expressing regret at the verdict *
by Stonebreaker9  (2017-04-02 09:43:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What? That the jury should have done more? Or less? *
by SWPaDem  (2017-04-02 09:59:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here you go. (link)
by Moff  (2017-04-02 10:43:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like the excuses made for JoePa that he was old school
by SWPaDem  (2017-04-02 10:47:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and really didn't understand man-child pervert behavior occurring all around him. In the showers of the locker rooms, no less.

That's just Jerry being Jerry.

Things like this beg the question...
by GolfJunkie17  (2017-03-31 10:26:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wtf did the NCAA soften their punishment on PSU? Because clearly, very few lessons were learned. They aren't sorry it happened, they're sorry they got caught.

Textbook cautionary case study for any institution
by Pat85  (2017-03-31 16:47:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

PSU and the Catholic Church are the worst possible examples of what can happen when protecting the brand trumps doing what should be so obviously the right/just thing, so much so that it becomes standard operating procedure within the culture of the organization. I still cringe when reading the Freeh Report, and it is mind boggling that PSU culture has already tossed those facts and the victims in the trash, and fully restored the delusional Paterno legacy. Talk about alternate facts.

I remain upset that ND allowed Brian Kelly to be the lone public voice in response to the NCAA findings on our recent academic scandal, and I am still not satisfied that ND has done all it can/should post-Sullivan and post-Seeberg tragedies to make Notre Dame as safe as possible for its students. I wanted to hear Father Jenkins express his strong embarrassment and disappointment with the athletic department, football staff and student-athletes, and declare that there would be changes implemented to ensure that our student-athletes have everything they need to succeed while remaining steadfast about academic integrity. Instead, the headlines were that Brian Kelly has zero accountability, every program does this stuff, and we are going to fight to reverse the NCAA penalties.

I know it is absurd to compare the ND academic issues to PSU, but even on something of that nature, it is critical to not let protecting/defending the brand take priority over doing what is right.

I'm going to jump in on this, but only for a limited purpose
by milhouse  (2017-04-02 00:20:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prior to the late 80s or early 90s -- let's say 1985, just to be conservative -- it was widely believed that pedophiles could be "cured" of their perversion. As a result, it was not unreasonable for someone to believe that they could send a pedophile off to treatment, get him "cured," and then be assured that everything would be OK.

That's what the Church did. Unfortunately, they also failed to tell the folks at the parish where they sent the "cured" pedophile priest next that he had these issues, or even actively concealed that fact. This failure by the hierarchy is what I find most disturbing.

That is a relevant fact that is largely disregarded
by Pat85  (2017-04-02 15:53:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but frankly is doesn't provide the church any cover given their actions well after "the cure" was debunked, and most certainly does nothing for Joe Pa. In both cases people in power knew they were looking the other way and tolerating the must horrific behavior imaginable, perpetrated on children, and then went to efforts to either cover up their actions/inactions, and/or defend their actions/inactions with OJ dream team level lawyering and spinning. I want my church, as well as devout Catholics like Joe Pa to come clean and admit guilt, beg forgiveness and throw themselves at the mercy of the legal and public opinion courts. My parish has lawyered up and declared bankruptcy to limit their exposure, and in turn payouts to victims. Shame. Penn State is spinning a tale that any reasonable person would have found absurd: one of the most brilliant and powerful men to ever coach college sports was oblivious to his closest coworker's behavior for 3 decades, and completely out of the loop on the multiple levels of PSU hierarchy who knew about Sandusky and covered for him. Thankfully Freeh got to the facts - unfortunately we now live in a world where facts are subject to whichever flavor of koolaid you choose to drink.

Oh, I agree. I just like to point this out.
by milhouse  (2017-04-02 17:51:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are both on the same page, all the way around the board.

I was reading about that this morning.
by potatohouse  (2017-03-31 09:16:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I swear, PSU (and I don't meant to demean each and every alumni or lump them all together -- I only use the label for simplicity) is like the kid who gets in trouble and just CANNOT. KEEP. HIS. TRAP. SHUT.

This scandal blew up over FIVE years ago. And while it was never going to go away quickly, like clockwork, every few months some former player, board member, prominent alumni, or Paterno kin opens their tone-deaf mouth and restarts the clock on all over again. Just shut the fuck up, at least PRETEND you have compassion to understand and acknowledge who the real (and only) victims were in this saga, and let it go.

This whole thing has been a case study in how to breed resentment and destroy your own cause.

It shows the level of derangement in which they live. *
by Stonebreaker9  (2017-03-31 14:20:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baylor read that case study, and has improved it. *
by someguy  (2017-03-31 13:03:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You got that right.
by potatohouse  (2017-03-31 13:15:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Briles had already had a trophy or two under his belt, it would have gotten even more embarrassing.

He's running for re-election by alumni as a trustee
by SixShutouts66  (2017-03-30 18:42:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It'll be more disgraceful if this was a campaign tactic that works. It makes a whole lot more people complicit.

Disgraceful. Reaction will be interesting from fans. *
by ndwifemom  (2017-03-30 17:48:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post