geez lou - first Michigan - now ohio state?
by cujaysfan (2017-03-21 12:23:24)

async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">>

& Trey now a GA *
by D8NDomer  (2017-03-22 09:29:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou's response to Woody about OJ's 80 yd run in the Rose Bow
by olson  (2017-03-21 22:56:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou Holtz was Ohio State's DB coach in 1968

Early in the Rose Bowl Ohio St vs USC, OJ Simpson takes off on an 80 yd td run(see link below)

After the run an angry Woody seeks out his DB coach Holtz on the sidelines (who's DBs OJ had just ran through for the score).
Finding Holtz, Woody screams at him 'Coach, why did that back just go 80 yds?'

Per legend Holtz answered "Because that's all he needed coach."

...I will add that this was the last game Lou Holtz ever coached at Ohio State :)

OJ was part of the world record holding 4 x 110 yards
by SWPaDem  (2017-03-22 08:13:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

relay team at USC. He ran the third leg.

Earl McCullogh-was also a member of the 4x110 & a Lions WR
by Jammer  (2017-03-22 22:52:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had a fairly successful career with the Detroit Lions;
with Bill Munson & Greg Landry throwing to him

Sometimes I wonder if I should ??? whether my "brain" is Full of too much
Useless Sports trivia ??

Lou witnessed the tailgating at UM's spring game &
by JACC1203  (2017-03-21 18:56:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

felt he be better off being the guest coach at OSU' game...

Lou won a national title with Woody in 1968 as asst. coach. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-21 16:15:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was an assistant there at one time
by sprack  (2017-03-21 15:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It makes a lot more sense than Michigan did.

Agreed. He has always liked OSU too. *
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2017-03-23 18:12:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's remained a secondary fan.
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-21 13:24:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen him go against the grain a number of times to predict an OSU win.

Allegedly Lou was in the running to take over the OSU job
by DillonFightSong  (2017-03-21 13:19:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after Woody Hayes. The problem was that Lou had a big-time resume and would have demanded big-time money (at least for the time). Woody had turned down so many raises over the years that OSU was nowhere near prepared to make a substantial enough offer. So they ended up with Earle Bruce.

Woody made 42k in 1978. Lowest paid in the B10, I believe *
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2017-03-23 18:06:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here is the story right from the Holtz's mouth
by Moff  (2017-03-21 19:29:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

funny that he mentioned Glen Mason
by irishrock  (2017-03-21 22:56:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was at KU and friends of mine who played said he talked about Ohio State incessantly...he wouldn't shut up about the place.

He's at KU...then takes the Georgia job while in the middle of a divorce and custody battle. Oops...at the Aloha Bowl, he announces he's staying at Kansas. Yeah, even Kansas ran him off and he had to go to Minnesota. I didn't know he pulled the same move up there.

Funny story about Mason and Kansas...his Offensive Coordinator was Pat Ruel...later Pete Carroll's OLine coach at SC and Seattle. Dantonio was on that staff as well and my buddies said he was the only good coach on the entire staff.

The truth is always refreshing.
by mkovac  (2017-03-21 19:57:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou had a way of telling us how the cow ate the cabbage.

Oh, and by the way, Fuck Mike Wadsworth.

I saw Wadsworth's photo on the wall of the Varsity Club
by Moff  (2017-03-21 20:44:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hotel last year. I decided not to deface it.

I hope you at least
by MukIrish  (2017-03-21 22:40:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

farted in its general direction.

Done. *
by Moff  (2017-03-22 04:54:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

8-3 Earl
by mkovac  (2017-03-21 16:34:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A friend of mine and former colleague ended up playing for Earl Bruce at Colorado State.

ND recruited him but after winning the 1988 national championship, they dropped him and thought they could get a better offensive tackle than my friend.

The assistant coach who recruited him to Colorado State? Urban Meyer.

What hurt Earle more than losses to Michigan
by sprack  (2017-03-22 07:57:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

against whom he did reasonably well - 5-4 - were 4 straight losses to Wisconsin.

It was kind of like Gerry Faust beating USC but losing to Air Force.

never heard that before
by cujaysfan  (2017-03-21 14:23:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but - it makes sense

i just wish he'd beaten those guys back in 95 and 96