Disappearing season ticket holders?
by Walsh69 (2017-03-13 17:00:39)
Edited on 2017-03-13 17:22:48

Our family has held a block of 8 season tickets in Stadium since 1930 - no longer. My cousins gave up their tickets after the end of 2016. They could not give away tickets for free last season.

A classmate just gave up their block of 12 season tickets this year as well. Another friend here in Milwaukee gave up 4. These folks are all in their late 50s and 60s.

Their reasons are all the same: too many night games; lack of a quality product; and, pricing extortion. Is this a common trend? Will the Gen-Xers and Millennials pick up the slack from us Boomers?

My guess is no.
by IrishJosh24  (2017-03-17 17:13:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think millennials are the least likely to pick up the slack, to be honest. They know they have plenty of other entertainment options, and they have far less history with the program than the folks you describe. They had a glimpse at greatness in 2012, only to see it all come crashing down--first on January 7, then in 2016. But they haven't seen national championships and historic games every year and a program that strives, above all else, for excellence. Why would they choose to pay thousands of dollars to uninteresting games when they can easily get tickets to the one or two games of interest for far less?

I haven't been to a game on campus since I graduated from law school (five seasons ago). And I've only been to three games total in those five seasons (two in 2012 and one in 2014). I can't imagine buying season tickets, even if I lived much closer and could reasonably expect to travel to ND for six games each year.

Millenial here, alum from 2005.
by ND Stitch  (2017-03-16 10:51:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Haven't been to a game on campus since 2010. I did go to the loss to Navy in Jacksonville a few months ago. All of my family was in town for my son's baptism.

Asked my dad not to buy me a shirt from the alumni group he hangs with this year. He would usually buy me The Shirt each year and I would often ask for a sweatshirt or windbreaker every other year for Christmas. I already wasn't spending much on the team, but I've asked family not to purchase any ND merchandise for the foreseeable future. At least not for me.

As for going back to South Bend? Maybe when my son is old enough, in say 12-13 years. Probably not any time soon, though. I just don't see the benefit. Especially when I have doubts about being able to afford tuition for him at ND in 17 years.

Picking up the slack?
by socal_doubledomer74  (2017-03-14 21:39:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't you mean stupid enough to play more than double for an awful product? I'm not planning to buy any single game tickets let alone season tickets.

My Dad '59 and I have given up our season tickets.
by carboNDale  (2017-03-14 17:24:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contract was up for renewal, it couldn't come at a better time IMO.

Count me as Gen-Xer who is done.
by cmhirish  (2017-03-14 13:26:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have purchased at least one game ticket every year since 1990, and have participated a 3-way split of a pair of season tickets since 1998.
On occasion, Mrs. cmh and I have purchased additional tickets for the in-laws and nieces. No more. Once one lets go of nostalgia, there’s nothing left.

I spoke with a few people I thought might be interested in replacing me in our group's season ticket partnership. In short, the current state of the program outweighs their interest in the investment.

Players acting like thugs, on and off the field.
6 arrests.
4 wins.
21 vacated wins.
It all speaks to the lack of vision, control, leadership, and accountability in almost every appreciable area.
The program is an embarrassment on and off the field, and that statement cannot be limited to the past season.

The relationship with Vivid Seats smacks of hypocrisy.
The game experience is shit - constant TV timeouts, people arguing about sitting down vs standing up, Ozzy every 5 minutes…

They can polish the turd with new pricing models and new seats and new concession stands. It’s still a turd.
None for me, thanks. I don’t know what it is, but it isn’t Notre Dame football.

Edited to clarify ticket quantity.

Never had season tickets but my wife and I ...
by Barney68  (2017-03-14 12:31:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

managed to take in a game or three every season from the mid-90s to 2015. Many of those trips added kids and grandkids to the group.

Last year we got to the Navy game in JAX but not to Campus.

This year does not have any plan that comes within 100 miles of the Bookstore or whatever that thing is that stands where the stadium once stood. Kids and grandkids seem to have, for the most part, lost interest. My wife has as well.

For me, it's not about the ticket price or the young men on the field or the cohort in the northwest end zone or the score on the scoreboard. The trite phrase "you can't go home again" rings ever louder when the idea of making the annual pilgrimage strikes. It drowned out the urge last year and now seems deafening.

My dad is giving up his this year.
by BottleofRed  (2017-03-14 12:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ours have been in the family since 1960. For him, it came down to price v. quality. If we were regularly competing for championships, he would probably keep the tickets. But there's no reason to believe it's going to get any better under the current leadership so it just isn't worth it.

You didn't get much quality in '60. Price was right though.
by ProV1x  (2017-03-14 14:35:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I graduated in '60, so '59 was my last football season as a student. 20-20 for my four years and as bad as that was I keep returning. It's hard to keep carrying the torch but I don't mind. ND is my school.

At least you had a Heisman winner and OU '57. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-15 23:33:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had 8 tix in our family since 1932
by Domer86  (2017-03-14 08:45:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gave them up after 2015 when the family interest was lacking, prices were increasing ($14k in 2016 and now $27+k in 2017 BUT I would have gotten 2 more inches of ass room per seat) and the aforementioned shitty product

Only ND game I went to was at Texas in 2016. Awesome time -

When the tix average greater than $500/ticket, why bother????

The only thing that will change the price gouging is empties
by Doggie  (2017-03-13 22:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not a season ticket holder but go to three games a year typically. In 2017, I doubt I'll go to 2 since the only games worth pay these absurd prices to sit in the end zone areas are the two night games and even being a monogram winner isn't going to help the odds of winning both games.

I really hope there a gaping bunches of empty seats that will make it impossible for ND to continue the lie(s) that the games are sold out.

But I really doubt if the ptb at ND give a hoot.

The games are sold out if all the tickets are sold
by sprack  (2017-03-15 09:55:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what "sold out" means. It has nothing to do with if anyone actually shows up.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the sold out streak continues for 100 years or stops at the Temple game. Which it might. And if not, there's the Miami (Ohio) game.

So if you want to send a message, don't buy tickets AND don't show up. Doing one or the other sends no message at all.

empty seats or beers?
by ndmd89  (2017-03-14 10:46:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can imagine BK getting pelted with the latter during the player walk

(edited for clarity)

sure will , you gave away free tickets huh?? hmmm *
by KOOLINSC  (2017-03-13 21:36:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gee, I wonder what JS has to say about "the brand" and
by KevinPS  (2017-03-13 18:57:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's health now?

Be nice to see attendance down 20,000 a game this year. It'd serve the weasels right.

the schedule is so watered down *
by irishrock  (2017-03-13 18:13:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not buying mine this year
by ejbnd99  (2017-03-13 17:12:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Due to my wife saying no. I would buy them if she said yes.

Your points are valid though. Too many night games, shitty football, and price gouging.

Tickets
by ODDMAN  (2017-03-13 18:50:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We will still tailgate this year but only go into the stadium once or twice. Tailgates are still social events and mini reunions for roomies and teammates.
Problem is the next generation is showing little interest in picking up the slack from us old folks on this front.
It is just not the same anymore. Why I can remember when a game ticket was less than a book store parking pass.