How bad is it? All you need to know...
by ndgotrobbedin97 (2024-03-17 19:10:30)

Spivey, Dennies and McDonough have a combined 10 starts with 12.27, 15.55 and 11.00 respective ERAs. Bedford is the shining star and the only other starter that has started more than 1 game (6) and he has a 5+ ERA.

I'm just stunned that NDs pitching staff could be this uncompetitive, and Stiffler and his coaches can't seem to figure out anything. The team ERA is nearly 7.00.

I sure hope he finds something soon.

Total team play leaves a lot to be desired
by NH74Domer  (2024-03-18 10:01:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While the quality of our pitching has been poor to date (outside of few on the staff), I have to wonder how they are being used. We seem to be wedded to an opener approach that may have cost us two games this weekend. Bedford was pulled after 55 pitches in a tied game on Saturday and Radel on Sunday leading 3-1 and only throwing 44 pitches. The bullpen lost both of those games (although Flynn ran into a bit of bad luck). What shouldn’t be ignored is our hitting (or lack there-of).

In six league games so far, Irish batters are averaging 10Ks/game. In overall play, we are last in the conference in hits and walks, which makes us dead last in OB%. (Reminds me of last year’s Yanks).

This might be a bigger problem to fix than the pitching.

This was my worst case scenario.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-18 06:43:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially given that Stiffler’s calling card is pitching. I’d say that the clock
Is ticking for him to find some answers.

Who was his pitching coach at VCU? *
by GOLDENEIL  (2024-03-22 11:36:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One small ray of hope
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2024-03-18 11:13:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stifflers teams have a history of going on late season runs. That said, since you're likely not winning the ACC tourney, any late season run is soon going to be too little, too late to reach the NCAAs, which is the only point to playing the season.

To have any hope, you better run the table in weeknight games.

0-6 in the conference was unthinkable to me, because I don't remember it happening before.

Yes, but….
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-18 17:32:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prior to the season he was talking about knowing what went wrong last season and being able to start this season off on a better note.

That hasn’t happened. And with Miami coming into town this weekend with their 4-2 conference record it isn’t getting any easier. It’ll be the end of April until we see some easier series.

My hope for this season is quickly fading.

Rpi
by NDDN  (2024-03-18 21:09:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Irish somehow have an RPI rank of 11. Doubt they’ll win enough games for it to matter but could help if they do.

They can’t suffer any more sweeps.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-19 08:49:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

0-6 is a deep dark hole in the ACC. They’re going to have to start winning some series and soon. And the series they don’t win, they need to take at least 1 game.