Schrage was fired 23 days after the 2010 season ended
by ShermanOaksND (2017-06-17 11:07:53)

It is now 23 days after the 2017 season ended, and no word on Aoki's fate. Nor do I expect any, aside from implicit confirmation this fall that he's back for his eighth season.

(Yes, I'm recycling and editing my "2 weeks after Memorial Day" post from Monday. That was the first of the time markers for the Schrage firing, and this is the second and last. That doesn't conclusively establish that Aoki is off the hook for yet another year, but all signs point to that. For the record, Schrage's 4-year WP was .533. Aoki's 7-year WP is .509.)

Jack should be fired for the mishandling of baseball alone
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-06-18 00:35:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We don't even need to mention the other sports he has F'd up.

This is sickening. If anyone needed any further proof that amateurs now run the University of Notre Dame, look no further. Not a sack among them.

Mixed emotions watching LSU win today in Omaha.
by MackerelSnappingAnarchist  (2017-06-18 01:07:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happy for Mainieri. Still hurts that he left, given the desert we've been wandering in for 11 years.

Destination coaching jobs
by SixShutouts66  (2017-06-18 12:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Certain coaching positions are destinations jobs that a coach isn't going to leave. Tradition, support, recruiting base are big factors. Sometimes exceptions occur notably Roy Williams leaving Kansas for his alma mater North Carolina. I don't know if any northern US college baseball coaching position, except perhaps the Northwest with a relatively temperate climate, is a destination position. I'd take Cal Stae Fullerton or Long Beach State as more desirable positions, let alone ASU and LSU.

ND had it well within its power to keep Mainieri
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-06-18 14:03:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They let him get away. Granted, that was under Kevin White, not Jack Swarbrick. But Swarbrick has compounded the blunder by keeping Aoki despite a lower winning percentage than Schrage.

At least Mike Rooney is at the CWS for ESPN.
by hibernianangst  (2017-06-17 17:12:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It just makes me sick what has become of Notre Dame baseball. It appears there is no Murphy or Mainieri in the future as long as Jack wagon is the AD.

EDIT: Too bad Pat Casey didn't want the job.

Casey, devoted Catholic, is loved in Corvallis-I wanted him
by Domerduck  (2017-06-20 16:18:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to replace Manieri in 2006 after he won his 1st NC, but he knew he still had a goog team (which won again in 2007. He also has been in Oregon his whole life and given how the fans put up signs to keep him, it has worked out for him. The baseball games are a big deal in Corvallis and after this year his legend will only grow.

It does show with the right coach and commitment, you can win in the North. That said Baseball is the top men's sport at OSU, by far. Football anf Basketball are trying to resurge but they are not there yet.