Holbrook available * *
by NDCWS (2017-06-07 06:33:47)
Edited on 2017-06-08 06:09:08

Who are some "real" names of HC's that ND could land? Please spare people previously tied to ND, unless of course it is the name of O'C, which as we know would never happen. ND is NOT a plum job. Several years ago I asked O'C if he would be interested in the Kentucky HC position (it was open around 2002-2003 time period). I thought he would immediately reply yes being it was an SEC job. Quite the contrary, he said no and that he would not seriously consider a job unless the state it was located in was talent rich. Kentucky was and is not talent rich for prospects as a whole in terms of numbers, Indiana is the same as compared to states like Virginia, NC, SC etc.

Both Holbrook and Aoki have 200 wins at their schools
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-06-07 10:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, Holbrook needed only 5 years to reach that total. Aoki needed 7. Holbrook lost 106 games. Aoki has lost 193. South Carolina missed 2 of the last 3 NCAAs, but made Super Regionals twice under Holbrook. ND has missed the last 2 and 6 of 7 under Aoki, and were three wins short of a Super Regional berth in their lone NCAA appearance.

And yet Holbrook is the one looking for a job. Thanks, Jack. I'll bet he doesn't even know Holbrook is on the market.

Clueless Jack
by NDCWS  (2017-06-07 13:27:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sherman,

Guaranteed he has nary a clue about Holbrook! Wonder if the Asst. AD having baseball responsibilities does?

Clueless Jack
by NDCWS  (2017-06-08 14:33:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll respectively disagree. If he doesn't care about baseball in South Bend, why would he in Palo Alto?

I'd love to catch JS off-guard and ask about Holbrook
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-06-07 15:58:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be his "Aleppo" moment.

He is probably pushing Holbrook for his alma mater, Stanford *
by hibernianangst  (2017-06-07 16:29:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How is Swarbrick keeping his job w/ this sort of crap
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-06-07 11:26:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know it's easy to say that the idiots at the top are asleep at the wheel, but if Aoki is running this program in a month, this is absolute proof of that.

Is it not clear to everyone that the baseball program has been run into the ground. You can make all the excuses you want about the ACC, and cost of tuition, etc. Guess what. This program made it to the College World Series when it had someone running the program that was competent, and the tuition was the exact same disadvantage given the time period.

After 7 years and almost 200 losses it's pretty easy to see what needs to be done. But, the feckless leader apparently doesn't have the stones. But, he does have ladies eyeglasses. So, that's nice.

The same way any of us keep our jobs.
by IrishMace  (2017-06-08 17:34:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By pleasing the people to whom we report.

Clearly Swarbrick's priorities are aligned with those of Jenkins and the Board of Trustees, else Swarbrick would not be the athletic director. Sadly, those priorities do not appear to require on-field excellence, and those of us who do value that excellence by and large lack any ability to influence their priorities.

Relate that to the baseball program if you will
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-06-08 18:18:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't disagree with your point, and it's obviously true, but explain that in a rational sense when it comes to a losing, stumbling baseball program that doesn't draw flies to the stadium when it could fill it regularly if run properly.

This aint football where 80,000 tickets get sold no matter what garbage they put on the field.

The baseball program will never turn a profit
by IrishMace  (2017-06-08 22:28:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The baseball team could fill its stadium or they could play in front of only their parents and girlfriends, and the financial difference to ND is about as significant as one of us schlubs withholding our annual donations. Thus the people who count the beans have zero fucks to give. If they have to, they'll just add another dollar to the price of football tickets.

Also unlike the football program, baseball is pretty far under the radar for most fans. Those of us who pay attention are disgusted, but there aren't enough to raise any noticeable ruckus.

It's not that ND wants baseball (or anything else) to suck. All else being equal, winning is preferred, but it's not a priority. Without a financial or PR incentive, we're left with Swarbrick not wanting to admit that one of his hires has failed, and shame on us for even suggesting something so ridiculous.

No top tier coach will come
by mrock90  (2017-06-07 08:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless serious investment is made in program/ facility/ funding...

I'd settle for a competent one but Swarbrick is probably
by cbo86  (2017-06-08 10:18:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

scaring them away too. I've resigned myself to the belief that ND really doesn't care about our national pastime not to mention football.
At this point I'm hanging my hopes that ND at least tries to become a basketball and hockey power.

No offense to either (and both are nice programs) but lacrosse and soccer just aren't that compelling for me.

I'd settle for a competent one but Swarbrick is probably
by NDCWS  (2017-06-09 11:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. Shit rolls down hill remember!