Had her over for a sleepover with another girl Monday night
by shawno3 (2019-11-06 18:24:52)
Edited on 2019-11-06 18:52:12

In reply to: Turn it around.  posted by VTND

[My kids didn't have school on election day]

Her behavior during that sleepover was actually part of the impetus for our increased sense of urgency. She exhibits a level of self-absorption I have only ever seen in one other person - my brother, and his was driven by drug addiction. This was after she came to our house last week on Halloween night with a half dozen other girls to trick-or-treat and watch a scary movie. She trick-or-treated in her own neighborhood first and told me when I picked the girls up that she had emptied all of the candy bowls left in her neighborhood into her sack (it's one thing to do it; it's another to think it a good idea to volunteer it to a friend's parent).

My wife's nature is to try to help this girl whereas I'm reluctant to take it upon ourselves to actively teach somebody's else's* kid our version of manners and right-from-wrong. And having her around while we simply model the right behaviors is too long of a row to hoe.

That said, I agree with your last two sentences, hence my conundrum.

* Her parents are both in the picture and, to the best of our knowledge, not drug addicts, abusers, etc. Just, apparently, shitty parents. She lives with her mom in her aunt's house. Her dad also lives in our town. But, as an example, this girl has volunteered to my wife "My Mom is done with me."