"I just have to say, what you did back there in that
by Irish Tool (2019-11-06 16:52:21)
Edited on 2019-11-06 16:53:04

In reply to: Changing stations should be relegated to womens bathrooms  posted by ACross

bathroom was amazing." - a middle aged man in the concourse of an Ohio Turnpike rest stop, to yours truly in 2017.

Changing stations in men's rooms are very important. They are one of the myriad ways we need to change the perception that many aspects of parenting should be relegated only to women. This is critical in a society where dual working hetero parent households are common, because those perceptions create significant problems for both parents' careers.

I actually had a 40 year old senior associate attorney tell me in 2019 that new father attorneys are not supposed to take any time off. The changing rooms are absolutely a factor in that mindset.

On a practical level for road tripping as a family, it's more efficient for the dad to change diapers when there is nursing involved. Broken down as a Gannt chart, there are two things mom can do that dad can't (namely, empty her bladder and nurse the baby), and those two things become the limiting factor in pit stop timing. So the efficient procedure is for dad to change baby, hand off baby, then take a piss and fill up the gas tank while baby nurses.

How much time did you take off?
by ACross  (2019-11-06 17:04:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I took a day off per kid. Now, I live 5 miles from my office. And I went home often. But I sure as shit didn't take paternity leave for two months.

I took every Friday off for 18 months. But - I owned the
by btd  (2019-11-07 00:14:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

company I worked for and it was a consulting company. There was/is no concept of vacation. You just take whatever time you want off as long as it doesn't adversely affect a project and you in effect give yourself a pay cut by losing money tied to your billable hours.

I surrendered one billable day per week for 78 weeks. However, I also was out of town the other 4 days per week, so home zero hours per day those other days.

I went back to work the day my kids were born
by crazychester  (2019-11-06 22:03:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those little fuckers are expensive as shit.

I can’t imagine what you two went through while maintaining
by ACross  (2019-11-06 23:08:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sanity

First kid I was still a federal employee
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 17:18:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And used my 10 weeks of accrued sick leave plus two weeks of vacation.

Second kid was a small firm, I asked to take a couple weeks off unpaid and they said they'd rather have me work part time for that couple weeks and don't worry about a specific number, then at the subsequent annual review they criticized my hours for that month.

Third kid was mid-size firm and I took 2 days off, mixed in the remainder of my 80 hours over the next couple months and my work from the older partner dried up while I ran myself on the verge of exhaustion for the two months after the baby was born. Told them in my exit interview that paternity leave needs revamping.

If I got 12 weeks I'd take it. I can see going back at 3 or 4 weeks in specific situations, but that's heavily dependent on the wife's situation and family support on hand. Edit: but even so, hugely disparate male/female leave policies creates a lot of bias against mom employees from all levels of the organization. And that harken back to my point about perceptions.

To each his own
by jt  (2019-11-06 22:59:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I took a day or two. I wanted to build something so that when the kids were older I had the free time. I also didn't take a honeymoon, though to be fair I was married in a different state and took 3 days off to travel there.

Now I work mostly from home and only go in for about 10 hours a week and have a ton of free time for my teenagers and wife

holy shit *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 17:21:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 10 weeks was use or lose at that point because
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 17:25:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was leaving for career advancement afterward. It was an accrued benefit and I cashed it.

I'm back to work this week after 16 weeks
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2019-11-06 17:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually, just 14. I'm banking the last 2 weeks for the spring.

I'm a guy.

That's awesome. *
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 17:50:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Newborns sleep a lot *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 18:56:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So it’s not awesome? *
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2019-11-06 21:54:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sitting at home is not awesome, no. *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 23:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The rest of us aren’t looking for “handy excuses” for our
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2019-11-06 23:20:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wives to do everything.

Not everything
by ACross  (2019-11-06 23:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She didn’t guilt me into sitting around in my sweatpants for 2.5 months.

I bet you quit drinking during her pregnancy too. Out of solidarity.

Ok boomer. *
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 19:06:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know what you did for 10 weeks
by ACross  (2019-11-06 20:30:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is not a two person job. The entire world knows. Unless your wife went back to work.