Changing stations should be relegated to womens bathrooms
by ACross (2019-11-06 14:34:59)

Moms are just better at it and dads need a goddamned break and a sanctuary

step into my office *
by 84david  (2019-11-07 15:16:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So your sanctuary is “the shitter”.....explains all! *
by so-it-goes  (2019-11-07 11:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Additionally, the men’s room is not safe for babies. *
by Nitschke  (2019-11-07 10:29:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm probably the most old-fashioned person here
by ndtnguy  (2019-11-06 22:47:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And while I reject the position taken by Irish Tool, and all his works, and all his paternity leave, having a changing table in the men's room is, simply on a practical level, sometimes very handy. I simply refuse to get exercised on this point, or to let my personal preferences increase the time a precontinent child spends in a messy diaper. Sometimes that just falls under the heading of "men do what needs doing."

At a minimum there should be a family rest room
by airborneirish  (2019-11-06 23:42:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with a changing table. There I can take in a kid in diapers and an older kid and not worry about upsetting the snowflakes who can't pee when a kid is in the bathroom.

The alternative of changing my kid in public or on the floor of a men's restroom is not good for anyone.

Combine the family BR with the handicap BR.
by Wooderson  (2019-11-07 09:35:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Problem solved.

I enjoy leaving poo diapers in the hand towel bin
by ACross  (2019-11-07 00:20:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wafting.

I am just glad to be past this stage - God speed *
by airborneirish  (2019-11-07 00:54:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I change plenty of diapers
by ACross  (2019-11-06 23:07:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just think it’s nice to have the changing table in the ladies room so I can have that excuse handy if I prefer my wife to do it at the time.

Ok boomer *
by Duke Camaro  (2019-11-06 20:31:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because we always travel with our spouses and kids at all
by airborneirish  (2019-11-06 17:07:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Times in the taliban.

I sure as shit didn't have 6
by ACross  (2019-11-06 17:40:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is no way i could have done that, diapers or no diapers.

I'd trade them for small, power jet bidets. *
by OGerry  (2019-11-06 16:56:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps Dyson will make a bidet based on sound vibration
by Raoul  (2019-11-06 22:27:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

technology.

"I just have to say, what you did back there in that
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 16:52:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bathroom was amazing." - a middle aged man in the concourse of an Ohio Turnpike rest stop, to yours truly in 2017.

Changing stations in men's rooms are very important. They are one of the myriad ways we need to change the perception that many aspects of parenting should be relegated only to women. This is critical in a society where dual working hetero parent households are common, because those perceptions create significant problems for both parents' careers.

I actually had a 40 year old senior associate attorney tell me in 2019 that new father attorneys are not supposed to take any time off. The changing rooms are absolutely a factor in that mindset.

On a practical level for road tripping as a family, it's more efficient for the dad to change diapers when there is nursing involved. Broken down as a Gannt chart, there are two things mom can do that dad can't (namely, empty her bladder and nurse the baby), and those two things become the limiting factor in pit stop timing. So the efficient procedure is for dad to change baby, hand off baby, then take a piss and fill up the gas tank while baby nurses.

How much time did you take off?
by ACross  (2019-11-06 17:04:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I took a day off per kid. Now, I live 5 miles from my office. And I went home often. But I sure as shit didn't take paternity leave for two months.

I took every Friday off for 18 months. But - I owned the
by btd  (2019-11-07 00:14:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

company I worked for and it was a consulting company. There was/is no concept of vacation. You just take whatever time you want off as long as it doesn't adversely affect a project and you in effect give yourself a pay cut by losing money tied to your billable hours.

I surrendered one billable day per week for 78 weeks. However, I also was out of town the other 4 days per week, so home zero hours per day those other days.

I went back to work the day my kids were born
by crazychester  (2019-11-06 22:03:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those little fuckers are expensive as shit.

I can’t imagine what you two went through while maintaining
by ACross  (2019-11-06 23:08:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sanity

First kid I was still a federal employee
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 17:18:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And used my 10 weeks of accrued sick leave plus two weeks of vacation.

Second kid was a small firm, I asked to take a couple weeks off unpaid and they said they'd rather have me work part time for that couple weeks and don't worry about a specific number, then at the subsequent annual review they criticized my hours for that month.

Third kid was mid-size firm and I took 2 days off, mixed in the remainder of my 80 hours over the next couple months and my work from the older partner dried up while I ran myself on the verge of exhaustion for the two months after the baby was born. Told them in my exit interview that paternity leave needs revamping.

If I got 12 weeks I'd take it. I can see going back at 3 or 4 weeks in specific situations, but that's heavily dependent on the wife's situation and family support on hand. Edit: but even so, hugely disparate male/female leave policies creates a lot of bias against mom employees from all levels of the organization. And that harken back to my point about perceptions.

To each his own
by jt  (2019-11-06 22:59:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I took a day or two. I wanted to build something so that when the kids were older I had the free time. I also didn't take a honeymoon, though to be fair I was married in a different state and took 3 days off to travel there.

Now I work mostly from home and only go in for about 10 hours a week and have a ton of free time for my teenagers and wife

holy shit *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 17:21:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 10 weeks was use or lose at that point because
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 17:25:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was leaving for career advancement afterward. It was an accrued benefit and I cashed it.

I'm back to work this week after 16 weeks
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2019-11-06 17:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually, just 14. I'm banking the last 2 weeks for the spring.

I'm a guy.

That's awesome. *
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 17:50:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Newborns sleep a lot *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 18:56:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So it’s not awesome? *
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2019-11-06 21:54:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sitting at home is not awesome, no. *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 23:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The rest of us aren’t looking for “handy excuses” for our
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2019-11-06 23:20:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wives to do everything.

Not everything
by ACross  (2019-11-06 23:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She didn’t guilt me into sitting around in my sweatpants for 2.5 months.

I bet you quit drinking during her pregnancy too. Out of solidarity.

Ok boomer. *
by Irish Tool  (2019-11-06 19:06:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know what you did for 10 weeks
by ACross  (2019-11-06 20:30:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is not a two person job. The entire world knows. Unless your wife went back to work.

Oh, GHUKOGH *
by milhouse  (2019-11-06 16:39:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife is better than me at a LOT of things
by DakotaDomer  (2019-11-06 16:18:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This isn't one of them.

You need to find a fishing app for your phone; it has to be more fun than this.

In their stead, I want bum wine dispensers *
by ND71  (2019-11-06 16:11:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A+ *
by Jimbo Irish  (2019-11-06 15:58:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you imagine what triggered this post?
by ShillelaghHugger  (2019-11-06 15:36:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did you loudly harrumph and roll your eyes as you walked past that Dad performing his fatherly duty of doing one goddamned thing for his wife.

Also, my wife is not better at changing diapers. She's far too concerned with being gentle. I'm a goddamn machine. And anyone who wants to look at me crossways as I change my kids diaper can get fucked.

You rail against some really dumb shit.
by akaRonMexico  (2019-11-06 15:36:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By the time your kid gets to HS this is how all their friends are going to view you:

You are mustachioed *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 15:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you were a woman, your name would be Karen. *
by akaRonMexico  (2019-11-06 16:02:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least it wouldn't be something Irish *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 17:02:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some..."Kierans," for your time-wasting perusal: (link)
by Jess  (2019-11-06 17:11:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

F with a vengence
by NDFanSince81  (2019-11-06 15:26:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're seriously at a loss in the family skills dept.

First CostCo. Now changing stations. What's next?

Costco is total bullshit
by ACross  (2019-11-06 15:45:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Built on persuading skinflints they really arent at Sams

Booze, Gas, Tires, t-shirts . .. you can't beat CostCo *
by NDFanSince81  (2019-11-06 20:32:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe so, but you can load up on ketchup on the cheap *
by Jvan  (2019-11-06 15:52:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

F *
by combodraw  (2019-11-06 15:05:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am far superior at that particular skill. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-11-06 14:51:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you were obsessed with your kitchen renovation?
by squid  (2019-11-06 14:49:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you are going to pretend to be all 1950s manly, at least be consistent.

You take sanctuary in men's bathrooms? *
by Shifty  (2019-11-06 14:43:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They weren't chicks *
by pmcdnd96  (2019-11-06 20:35:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Away from bathrooms *
by ACross  (2019-11-06 15:02:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Frank Drebin has a list of the best bus stop bathrooms
by captaineclectic  (2019-11-06 14:51:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, he does.

He also fails to silence his microphone when pissing *
by Jvan  (2019-11-06 15:01:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now I understand why everyone was looking at me *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-11-06 15:37:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My kid crapped his pants once when I had him out
by OCND  (2019-11-06 14:41:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

without his mother. I was grateful that Chick Fil-A had a changing station in the mens room.

I know you're pulling hair.
by manofdillon  (2019-11-06 14:39:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But have you never ventured out in public on your own with a child in diapers? What do you do if the kid craps while you're out? Make him sit in it? Go back home to change him? Lay him on a disgusting ass bathroom floor? Lay him out on leather seats in your Audi (I hope you got shit brown)?

And if your wife is "just better at it" than you are, you're either stupid or physically inept. It's really fucking easy to change a diaper. Feigning ineptitude to get out of taking care of your own kid isn't very manly.

F *
by VTND  (2019-11-06 14:38:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post