We have similar cellars
by Charlie Hough (2019-11-06 10:33:25)

In reply to: 2015 was supposedly a great year as well.  posted by DillonFightSong

Got married in 2012 and honeymooned in Italy, so have a lot of Barolos and Brunellos from that year.

2016 was a great year for Italy and Napa, and the year my daughter was born, so I have a bunch of them as well.

And my son was born this year, and supposedly for Piedmont this is going to be their best vintage in a generation if you believe the farmers after this years crush, so I guess I'll be loading up on them in a few years.

On cellars
by ndtnguy  (2019-11-06 14:30:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you have a literal cellar, or a refrigerator-type cellar? I bought a Eurocave a couple of years ago, with the thought that I would build a true cellar when we moved and unload the Eurocave.

But we haven't ever gotten around to moving, and now I'm wishing I had purchased a larger Eurocave: I've got barolo, brunello, and taurasi floating about waiting for a spot in the cellar to open up, something that by its nature is not a frequent occurrence (because the cellar is pretty small, I prioritized long-term bottles). Fortunately that part of my house stays pretty cool.

Literal cellar
by Charlie Hough  (2019-11-06 15:01:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not at my house but a wine storage facility near me.

In my basement I keep a few bottles so I can just run down and get one. It's not the perfect 55 degrees but it's cool and dark and I've never skunked a bottle.

I've heard of those places
by ndtnguy  (2019-11-06 15:22:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like the only one near me is in a climate-controlled warehouse across the street from a concrete plant. I am skeptical.

Benefit of Chicago
by Charlie Hough  (2019-11-06 15:41:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have quite a few. The one I use is in Lincoln Park. My Napa cabs and Barolos look downright cheap next to the DRCs I walk past in some other lockers.

Which one? How are they at accepting shipments?
by ChicagoWave03  (2019-11-07 09:28:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have heard some mixed reviews on a few further north in the Lakeview / North Center areas the couple times I have looked into them. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but have been thinking about it in order to properly store bottles and and not just keep bottles in the basement.

Chicago Northside Storage on Orleans at North Ave.
by Charlie Hough (click here to email the poster)  (2019-11-07 13:51:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love them, can't say enough great things. Excellent at receiving shipments. Shoot me an email if you're not an axe murderer and want to check it out and share a glass - they have a very informal sitting area.

I use my basement
by rflor  (2019-11-06 14:42:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While not perfect, it's dark (not a lookout/walkout) and has a really consistent cool temperature profile throughout the year.

I bought several of the 36-bottle wine racks at Ikea and use them to store the collection.