Costco kicks ass and you're missing out.
by Anthro_Domer (2019-11-06 00:11:04)
Edited on 2019-11-06 03:55:59

In reply to: ACross Reports: everythings Costco sells sucks balls  posted by ACross

on Alcohol alone, it's worth it. They have XO cognac for $60 or so. I can get a prime 18 lbs brisket and make enough smoked brisket to feed a family of 11 for a week. Their mixed nuts are outstanding too.

Plus, the people watching is always great if you hate people.

Do you have a family of 11?
by ACross  (2019-11-06 00:24:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would they like to eat brisket for a week?

I don’t drink booze. Or buy in bulk.

Not sure what mixed bus is

Sorry. Mixed nuts.
by anthro_domer  (2019-11-06 04:37:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their meat is very solid though. For a while they were the only place I could consistently find prime meat. That's changed, but their prices are still unbeatable.

To each their own though. A local butcher is a great thing, but hard to find sometimes.

Have you discovered Paulina Meat Market yet?
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-11-06 06:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You won’t buy meat at Costco again.

Been there multiple times. Love their sausages.
by anthro_domer  (2019-11-06 14:36:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you can't beat Costco for prime meat prices.

Publican too
by HScorpio  (2019-11-06 08:51:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although it’s very pricy.

Both Paulina & Publican are overpriced.
by The Beef  (2019-11-06 09:32:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add Gepperth’s to that list as well. Chicago used to have some great butcher shops and fish mongers in the West Loop. Olympia meats was fantastic. Prime cuts at low prices. Isaac & Stein had a great selection of fresh fish at wholesale prices. Neither place was for the faint of heart as they were both wholesale shops with a small retail business.

The rise of Randolph Street and Fulton Market claimed both as casualties, along with a handful of similar businesses. I guess CHICAGO needs more shitty noodle restaurants and generic high rise apartment buildings.

Try Ellengee in Jefferson Park
by irishaddict  (2019-11-06 13:53:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's my replacement for Olympia. I was very sad when Olympia shut down.

Agreed.
by ChicagoWave03  (2019-11-06 12:10:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have certainly frequented Paulina over the years (and Dirk's on the fish side), but they really are over priced, particularly compared to those old west loop places.

Imperial Lamian is serviceable.
by OCND  (2019-11-06 09:38:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I'm more likely to just keep walking to Bavette's.