N by NW is my favorite film
by Allumeuse (2019-11-05 12:27:03)
Edited on 2019-11-05 12:27:42

In reply to: Five of my favorite movies of all time  posted by sprack

Though it is not my favorite Cary Grant film. I wouldn't be able to decide between His Girl Friday and To Catch a Thief, something where he gets to be a bit more comedic or romantic role.

Never going to be another movie star like Cary Grant. Almost pitch perfect in both drama and comedy, and possibly the most handsome man to grace the screen.

Arsenic and Old Lace & The Philadelphia Story.
by 1978Irish  (2019-11-05 18:46:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Terrific Grant Comedies.

Loved To Catch a Thief. Don't forget The Awful Truth with
by usmcirish  (2019-11-05 13:35:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the incomparable Irene Dunne.

Great in so many roles
by sprack  (2019-11-05 12:37:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even when chewing the scenery in Arsenic and Old Lace, he's hilarious.

Archie Leach from Bristol made himself the suavest man alive.

He was fantastic in slapstick
by Allumeuse  (2019-11-05 12:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was that old vaudeville vibe, there was something about that that didn't leave him.

He also just has one of the most fascinating life stories. Too bad they will never be able to find an actor good enough or attractive enough to play him in a biopic. Never.

Prime Clooney could've pulled it off. *
by potatohouse  (2019-11-05 15:51:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True. Pitt also
by sprack  (2019-11-05 16:40:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clooney in "O Brother Where Art Thou?" and Pitt in "Snatch" are two of the best comedic performances ever.

Yep. It would be absolutely impossible
by sprack  (2019-11-05 12:59:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How would you even find anyone with that chin?

One of the many great things is how he never took himself seriously. On that famous chin, in "Charade", Audrey Hepburn asks him, "How do you shave in there?"

I have always wondered that myself *
by Allumeuse  (2019-11-05 14:20:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post