Looks like that Voynich manuscript solution was fake news.
by voidoid (2017-09-13 08:57:26)

Latin abbreviations it ain't.

Well, maybe it's pig latin than. Has to be something.
by 21TAS  (2017-09-14 19:47:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did CNN have a big headline on the solution? I must have missed it.

Dan Simmons breathes a sigh of relief *
by ND Trumpet  (2017-09-13 11:27:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you mean Dan Brown. #NotAllDans *
by GailStanwyck  (2017-09-13 12:21:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your buddy Simmons referenced Voynich in Illium & Olympus
by ND Trumpet  (2017-09-14 12:00:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That it was a plagiarized gynecological tome would have been funny in the context of the novels.

Oh man, it's been a while, I guess. *
by GailStanwyck  (2017-09-14 12:11:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have no idea how insanely jealous I am of you *
by ND Trumpet  (2017-09-14 17:43:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More like, Gibbs didn't prove that they were...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-09-13 09:27:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and he didn't really "decode" them very convincingly. They might be abbreviations, ideograms, or just nonsense. One thing I'd take a little issue with: the debunking person in the piece you linked said that the resulting Latin was ungrammatical. That's true; but this could be a result of Gibbs' poor Latin. It doesn't prove these aren't abbreviations, or that some of the characters aren't. The most ungrammatical aspects are wrong case endings for nouns, e.g., showing the nominative form of a noun after a preposition requiring the dative or ablative. Clean that up, and this aspect of the debunking becomes sort of moot.

Kind of a bummer *
by captaineclectic  (2017-09-13 09:27:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's going to kill CE *
by Odschool  (2017-09-13 09:18:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post