Equifax fiasco
by mike-nd (2017-09-12 21:01:53)
Edited on 2017-09-12 21:41:15
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

it seems like I keep getting offers for free credit monitoring (from Excellus, Target, and now Equifax).

Does anyone use LifeLock or similar service (or is this similar to what I am getting offered free every time there is a major data breach) ?

Or is it better to simply freeze my credit (as I'm not planning on financing any purchases any time soon and don't need more credit cards!)

Thieves are welcome to my credit history
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2017-09-13 08:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They can't wreck it much more already!

not the credit history I'm worried about ...
by mike-nd  (2017-09-13 11:53:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thieves can steal you SSN and file a tax return before you do, essentially negating yours. This can be fixed, but takes months and a lot of effort.

Thieves can open credit cards in your name, and the collection agency will come after you. Again - this can be fixed but of course not easily.

I had someone buy 2 cell phones + attempt to open a CC
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2017-09-13 15:04:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In my name.

I remember I had to produce a drivers license when purchasing a phone from Verizon. It appears that a DL isn't required this time around. I told the Verizon rep I was surprised how easy it was to get a phone plan these days.

The credit card was from the Children's Place. I guess someone needed some 2T overalls.

Their dumpster fire just had gas tossed on it in Argentina. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-09-13 00:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A level of competence that President Skroob would applaud *
by DakotaDomer  (2017-09-13 07:23:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're looking at the freeze. There's an ironic line
by 88_92wsnd  (2017-09-12 21:22:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on Experians site:
To protect your personal identification information, Experian does not return correspondence sent to us.

that is nice of them
by mike-nd  (2017-09-12 21:46:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I found this web site ... https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

Freezing your credit wont necessarily stop someone from filing taxes in your name though (and I am not sure how companies such as Lifelock prevent this).

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.