ND more expensive that Princeton and Harvard!
by sylvaniairish (2017-09-12 14:06:17)
Edited on 2017-09-12 14:07:33

At least according to US News and World rankings. How did this happen? Of course all these schools show about $50K/year. My first son at ND cost about $60K for all 4 years (1992 grad) and second son about $90K (1997 grad). With these rates you are either in "the one-percent" or you have to able to kick 65 yard field goals. :-))

Princeton is #1 for endowment $ per undergrad. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-09-12 17:51:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BYU is only $5,460 and ranked #61.
by stevec28  (2017-09-12 16:35:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder if that's the LDS member price?

Don't know, but you're probably aware of their tithing rule
by sprack  (2017-09-12 17:15:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All good Mormons are expected to tithe 10% of their income before taxes.

The LDS Church is filthy rich.

"Tuition Discounting" is the revenue strategy
by Trekker  (2017-09-12 16:08:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In general, the published tuition price (sticker price / MSRP) is not the average tuition price.

Universities use a process called "tuition discounting" whereby they offset the sticker price with grant aid. The result is the "discount rate", the ratio of total institutional grant aid relative to gross tuition revenues. This all works great so long as students are price inelastic.

There's been concern in higher education that an increasing number of institutions' net revenue has not increased after sticker price increases due to the need for increased discounting.

My assumption is that ND's consultants are still reporting that the applicant pool is price inelastic and that increasing the sticker price will increase net revenue.

quite a change in approach for ND
by vivaflanner  (2017-09-12 15:21:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that 30 years ago, ND was notably less expensive than other top privates, maybe 20-25%. Not anymore. ND tuition has grown faster than its peers over that time.

I know ND's cost structure is lower than places like Cambridge MA, or Palo Alto CA.

Of course, college tuition (like many things), is priced on "value", not cost.

It's all just become funny money now
by sprack  (2017-09-12 14:25:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like you, I'm glad I'm past that crap.

its not funny money if you have to pay full amount
by vivaflanner  (2017-09-12 15:24:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which is what I am looking at

Its more than a quarter of a million dollar, after tax, commitment. (529 plans can help bit by eliminating taxes on gains within the plan)

Oh I know it. Consider a good friend of mine and classmate
by sprack  (2017-09-12 16:56:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He just finished paying tuition on his fourth, and final, ND grad.

Now, he does very well for a living. But he's not a zillionaire. And we think he's paid a million bucks to Notre Dame. That's just excruciatingly painful. I asked him that last year. He said "yeah, I probably have. I don't even want to think about it."

Is this a subtle brag?
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2017-09-12 15:27:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kid...sorta. Good luck with paying for ND. Little Contrarian is a freshman in high school and told me that he'd rather attend McGill, which is much less expensive than ND.

Well, yeah McGill's less expensive. It's in Canada
by sprack  (2017-09-12 17:02:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you should move to Quebec if you want to really benefit. You'll pay like 8 grand, tops.

I worked with a lot of Canadians in my old job, in fact my boss was Canadian and half the department was. There is no public/private divide for universities in Canada, and the cost is subsidized for all schools more than most state schools here. I was traveling once with a colleague whose daughter started at UWO the same year my daughter transferred to ND. When I told him what I was paying and he told me what he was paying we were both stunned. For opposite reasons. But their taxes are higher, so there's that. Kind of.

Here's another one. My cousin's son just started this week at St. Andrew's in Scotland. Tuition for overseas students? £20 grand a year or at current rates about $26 grand. And the kid gets to go to St. Andrew's in Scotland. And if he were a Brit it would be less than half that. Now, the kid is brilliant and my cousin lives in California and his son got into Cal (among others), which is still a bargain in-state and less than he's paying for St. Andrews - but the kid gets to go to St. Andrews. Not a bad deal.

Maybe not. I'm in the the Valley of Death.
by VTND  (2017-09-12 15:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We make too much to get any meaningful financial aid, but not enough to pay for it all out of pocket. G18 is taking loans to cover the gap.

Many of the financial aid policies punish responsible
by 88_92wsnd  (2017-09-13 06:34:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

families. A kid with any savings gets cleaned out while one with no assets is more eligible for aid. High debt earns more aid too. House nearly paid off? Aid goes down.
Our oldest also found that the initial aid offers were like car prices..aid counselors did the " let me talk to my manager" schtick and often found more grant money. The biggest farce is listing loans as "aid"

Small liberal arts colleges are feeling the pinch
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2017-09-12 15:56:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was in my local newspaper today. A 20% tuition cut.

Little Contrarian, like his parents, is unfortunately not talented in the STEM fields, so we are going to think long and hard when looking for a college.

ND room and board when I was a senior in HS was $17k, about $2-$3k less than the ivies I applied to.