Anything I absolutely have to see/do in Charleston?
by CMillar (2017-09-12 11:57:38)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

It's a company retreat so there's already something of an itinerary and dinners are accounted for, but if there's anything that's a must do (preferably within walking distance of the historic downtown area), I'm all ears.

Any local "musts" for lunch would also be great.

USS Yorktown *
by airborneirish  (2017-09-12 22:23:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We did a walking ghost tour which was really fun *
by Rocket7  (2017-09-12 12:26:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What about the ghosts that just sit there? *
by El Kabong  (2017-09-12 14:19:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Much better to sit and watch the walking ghosts go by
by pasteven  (2017-09-13 08:03:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than walk to see the sitting ghosts.

I laughed *
by dent16  (2017-09-12 21:57:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just went last summer.
by cdb9396  (2017-09-12 12:07:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree, the USS Yorktown is great, Fort Sumpter was also very cool.

We did a horse drawn ride around town to historic Charleston. Well worth it. Also visited the Single A ballpark, but they may be done playing.

Lots to do, ask your concierge.

Bring your waders
by sprack  (2017-09-12 12:03:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kid, I figure you're not going there this week.

If you are intent on staying close by, go to the City Market. It's right downtown. Hell, go there no matter what, it's easy.

You could also catch a harbor tour in walking distance from the historic district and go to the USS Yorktown and/or Fort Sumter.

For me, the Yorktown was #1. It's not every day you can tour a WWII aircraft carrier (I've also been on her sister ship, the Lexington, in Corpus Christi). It's the second Yorktown as the first was sunk at Midway.

Will be there Thursday, actually.
by CMillar  (2017-09-12 12:27:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've been assured the flooding has already cleared and the hotel was unaffected (Belmond) and everything will be rainbows and unicorns. We'll see.

Already have a tour of Sumter planned and will be right by the City Market.

I've toured the USS Midway in San Diego (and loved it). Should I still try to make time for the Yorktown?

Definitely make time for the Yorktown
by sprack  (2017-09-12 13:37:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a fantastic tour. You can go all over the ship, not just the flight deck, but the bridge, below decks, the whole thing. The hangar deck has a whole passel of different planes. It's awesome.

I've heard the Midway tour is terrific too, might be very similar but I can't get enough of that stuff myself.

As a bonus, there are now two other ships right there that you can tour, the USS Laffey, a WWII destroyer, and the USS Clamagore (or is it Clagamore? can't remember), a submarine which was commissioned at the end of the war but didn't see service in the war. I didn't get a chance to go on those due to limited time.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.