NE Food road trip recs
by 570tosb (2017-09-12 10:54:47)

Long time lurker looking for some recommendations, please.

Next month I will be taking my 13 yr old son on a food road trip from Chattanooga to Portland, ME, with stops in Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston. If you were making this trip, or have made a trip like this, were there any quintessential stops you would suggest that really identify with those cities? We really want to get a good taste of each city, but likely will only have a night or two in each place. I will certainly google the heck out of this trip, but would love some insight from the ND family. Thank you in advance!

NYT: Is New York's best pizza in New Jersey?
by beancounter  (2017-09-13 09:51:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saw this and thought of your post.

Boston - north end area
by airborneirish  (2017-09-12 20:47:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Union oyster house, mikes pastry, any Italian joint in north end.

Portland, ME
by pmcdnd96  (2017-09-12 15:26:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy Donut for breakfast
Duckfat for lunch

Eventide - Eat as many meals as you can there
by MrPlumbean  (2017-09-13 00:42:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would go for lunch and dinner every day. For the rest of my life.

Seconded
by Allumeuse  (2017-09-13 08:34:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Central Provisions.

Lobster shack on the oceanfront for dinner. *
by cujays96  (2017-09-12 20:35:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

man...
by 570tosb  (2017-09-12 14:37:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You guys are the best. This is all great information.

Baltimore . . .
by Notra_Dahm  (2017-09-12 13:28:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Others will have ideas within the city, with some good views of the Inner Harbor, or gritty locales in the hoods. One place with great crab cakes is G&M Restaurant. It's near the Beltway (695) and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, so not a very scenic spot. The building isn't rustic. But the crab cakes are great, and you can head right on down to the Inner Harbor from there.

In Boston
by 96_ND  (2017-09-12 13:15:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In Boston go to Neptune Oyster in the North End. It does not take reservations so get there before 5 pm otherwise you will be hanging outside for an hour waiting for a seat.

I need a roast beef from Sullivan's in Revere Beach. * *
by Odschool  (2017-09-13 09:14:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seconded. Forgot about that place.
by airborneirish  (2017-09-12 20:47:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never been to modern pastry.

Followed by cannoli from Modern Pastry *
by Boston Domer  (2017-09-12 13:18:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or macaroons from Mike's if you don't like cannoli.
by beancounter  (2017-09-13 09:54:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or even if you do.

Trenton for a tomato pie
by signboy  (2017-09-12 12:18:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's their version of a pizza and the closest to the real thing in southern Italy. De Lorenzo's in Robbinsville is a good bet but there are probably a few more that will be just as good. Let Yelp be your friend.

And if you missed pork roll as a sandwich or breakfast accompaniment while you were in Philly Trenton is the place to make up for your oversight.

For NYC
by DBCooper  (2017-09-12 12:07:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ill keep it to mostly modest priced places. Obviously you can find tons of places where meals start at $100 and you will love every bite, but for a 13 year old I would assume you are looking for modest, fun, interesting places with history and/or just great food

Burgers:
JG Melons, PJ Clarkes or Corner Bistro, also see Old Town below

Sandwich/Deli shop
Katz or Defontes

Historical Places
Old Town Bar, Grand Central Oyster Bar,or Frances tavern

Pizza
Lombardis, Juliannas (go instead of Grimaldis which is next door), Lucalis, Johns on Bleeker, Robertas, or Di Fara

Hot Dogs
Nathans in Coney Island

Steakhouses
Keens, Peter Lugers, Delmonicos, or Sparks

Barbecue
Dinosaur BBQ or Hometown BBQ

Mexican
Calexico Food Truck, La Esquina

Little Italy spot (but i would recommend Arthur Avenue spots instead)
Angelos

any good deli's in NYC? *
by jt  (2017-09-12 14:13:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a test. *
by airborneirish  (2017-09-12 20:45:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was really disappointed by Peter Luger in February
by farquad2012  (2017-09-12 12:55:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've only been twice (probably about 5 years ago for the first time) but the steak this time was not very good. I would definitely check out one of the other places if you want a steakhouse.

My Favorite BBQ in NYC is John Brown's in LIC
by shea  (2017-09-12 12:14:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I wouldn't identify any BBQ with NYC.

An Ex JBS guy is opening Mothership Meat Co. just north
by Wooderson  (2017-09-12 13:19:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the QBB this month. I eagerly await a visit.

DBC, you should try John Brown, easy ride for you on the G train. Let me know if you go, and I'll meet you.

Hope all's well this week.

EDIT: Changed the name I had it backwards for the new BBQ place. It's a Texas Brisket place too, should be good.

This just made my day *
by shea  (2017-09-12 13:39:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thanks
by DBCooper  (2017-09-12 13:39:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i dont make it to LIC too often

I emailed you back, you get it?

Yup. Sorry, been crazy lately with travel.
by Wooderson  (2017-09-12 13:58:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

good to know, never been
by DBCooper  (2017-09-12 12:15:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is some very good bbq places in NYC. Hometown is pretty freaking amazing.

I'd put Hometown up there w/ any BBQ in the U.S. *
by Siegfried08  (2017-09-12 12:41:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we ever get another NYC NDNation get together
by DBCooper  (2017-09-12 12:51:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thats where it should be

Philly
by thatguy  (2017-09-12 11:57:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Philly's major food groups are cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, hoagies, roast pork sandwiches, pork roll (by way of Trenton), scrapple, water ice, and ice cream.

The common theme among these foods is that they're pretty much working class foods, so I'd say don't overthink it too much.

For breakfast (scrapple), you could check out Dutch Eating Place, a diner in Reading Terminal Market. The apple and blueberry fritters at Beiler's right around the corner are awesome too. Or you could hit up pretty much any spot that serves breakfast for a pork roll egg and cheese sandwich.

Cheesesteaks: I may get pelted with empties, but I say go to Pat's and Geno's. As far tourist traps go, this one isn't so bad. For as much debate as there is locally about the best and worst cheesesteaks, there really isn't a huge difference among the big spots. I say go have some fun with your son, try both, and decide which you like better so that you too can now be an asshole arguing on the internet. For the record, when doing the tourist thing my order is a "whiz wit" and Pat's 4 Life.

Soft pretzels: Buy them from a street vendor and put mustard on it. It's a pretzel, it won't blow your mind but it's a Philly staple. Edit: I should note that I don't mean a Super Pretzel brand pretzel here. The pretzel should look like an oblong 8 see linked image below.

Hoagies: Tons of chains here as well as pretty much every pizza shop. If you're going to seek a spot out, I'd recommend Dan's Fresh Meats.

Roast pork: This is the hipster answer to Philly's best sandwich. Top spots are Dinic's in the Reading Terminal Market or John's Roast Pork (they also have a really good cheesesteak). Get it with greens and sharp provolone. The greens will either be spinach or broccoli rabe (pronounced rob). I prefer the rabe but just a heads up that they're a little more bitter than spinach.

Ice cream: Another Reading Terminal Market spot, Basset's, basically invented Philadelphia style ice cream. Imagine what Breyers used to taste like and that's what you're getting there.

Water ice: Might be late in the season for most places, but Rita's should still be open and they have multiple locations. Stick to cherry, lemon, chocolate, or root beer and you'll be good. I like to get a gelati which is soft serve custard layered with water ice.

Like I said, this is what Philadelphians eat day in and day out but there's a pretty good food scene emerging outside of these to explore too. Let me know if you're looking for recs for finer dining or more ethnic options.

That is fair and foliage season in New England
by vermin05  (2017-09-12 11:43:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

New England typically does their fairs from Labor Day-Columbus Day and early October is the best time to soak in the leaves. Go to Boston if you much but try to spend a few days in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont driving some back country roads.

13 year old boys like foliage?
by cujaysfan  (2017-09-12 12:01:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

13 year old me would be all, "curses! foliaged again!!!"

NH/VT
by 570tosb  (2017-09-12 11:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a great idea. I don't have a solid plan for the return home. We might need to swing back through VT and NH, then come back down along the Hudson.

Go to the Big E in Springfield.
by Wooderson  (2017-09-12 13:24:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Eastern State Expo is the closest thing we have to a State Fair, and it runs through Oct 1st. It's just off of I-90, so you can hit it up, then keep going west to the Hudson to pick up 87 at Albany.

I cant recommend Vermont Apple Pie Bakery enough
by DBCooper  (2017-09-12 12:12:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for breakfast. Probably the best pancakes and biscuits and gravy you will ever have.

And don't forget to try some Sweet Apple Cider
by Shifty  (2017-09-12 11:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not the pasteurized sh!t sold in stores. The fresh-pressed stuff only available at farm stands.

Nothing is better than fresh apple cider.

And apple cider doughnuts.
by GailStanwyck  (2017-09-12 12:16:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And a grinder. And a red snapper hot dog on a split top bun. And ice cream (preferably coffee) from a dairy farm.

Pepe's Pizza in New Haven, CT, Abbot's Lobster in Noank, CT
by Shifty  (2017-09-12 11:37:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am sure you will have your pick of lobster shacks on the way to Maine, but Abbot's Lobster in the Rough is really great.

Pepe's Pizza is usually among the 'best pizza' places in the United States.

Pepe's sucks
by DBCooper  (2017-09-12 11:46:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its fine and all, but for a pizza place always in the top 10 I think its pretty much a let down. If in the area I guess to say you went there its fine, but I would never suggest going out of your way to eat there.

If going to New Haven and looking for a story place, check our Louis Lunch, who supposedly invented the hamburger.

Wrong.
by airborneirish  (2017-09-12 20:44:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Betting you ordered take out or didn't eat a clam pie.

Ive eated there 5 or 6 times
by DBCooper  (2017-09-13 08:56:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had most of their go to pies. Like I said, its good. But not worthy of a top 10 pizza place in the country. I dont even know if it should win top 10 in Connecticut, but I would have to do alot of research on that

Oh lord. *
by airborneirish  (2017-09-13 12:01:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems you disagree with that subject line
by pmcdnd96  (2017-09-12 15:30:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can see you not ranking it in the top 10, but I can't really understand somebody ranking it below a B+ - it is very solid pizza.

I think that is fair
by DBCooper  (2017-09-12 15:49:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just the idea that it is a top 10 pizza place I completely disagree with. Not the posters list, its a pretty common pick for pizza lists done by websites, expert foodies, etc.

its a fine pizza place, just wouldnt go out of my way for it.

Hey - I like it. Also included it as a destination place
by Shifty  (2017-09-12 11:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pizza arguments are endless.

There are also other lobster places in and around Noank. Some I even prefer to Abbot's (I'm looking at you, Ford's!) but Abbot's is also a 'destination' sort of place.

If he stays on 95 up through Providence both are worth a look as options. But if he takes 91>84 there is no harm in missing either.

I liked Modern over Pepe's
by shea  (2017-09-12 12:15:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, it's very New England of a place founded in 1930 to be called "Modern."

Reading Terminal Market in Philly gives you a choice of
by NDFlyer  (2017-09-12 11:29:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dishes. Pulled Pork, cheesesteaks, chinese, seafood, Pennsylvania Dutch, etc. Plus, you can walk to Independence Hall from there. Some might say you need to go to Geno's or Pat's Steaks - I think you can get better cheesesteaks at Jim's, Tony Luke's and most corner delis in the city (like the ones in Reading Terminal Market) rather than those places.

If you want a good dinner, ElVez has tremendous guacamole and fish tacos; if you want seafood, try the Sansom Street Oyster House.

ND Flyer...
by 570tosb  (2017-09-12 11:41:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is scrapple something I need to try?

It's everything but the squeal!!!!!!!
by ksqdomer  (2017-09-13 09:47:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is always the ketchup vs maple syrup debate. I go with ketchup.

It is a good maple syrup transport system. *
by Odschool  (2017-09-12 13:28:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, I like it as a side to scrambled eggs *
by NDFlyer  (2017-09-12 12:09:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pork roll egg and cheese on a hard roll *
by bphweather  (2017-09-12 11:50:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Momma if you please *
by The Holtz Room  (2017-09-12 12:47:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spotted the New Yorker. It's a Kaiser roll down here. *
by thatguy  (2017-09-12 11:58:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

raised in Bucks County
by bphweather  (2017-09-12 12:14:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

although originally from Long Island

Immigrants that refuse to integrate. We should build a wall.
by thatguy  (2017-09-12 12:34:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, at least you don't say Taylor ham so that's a start I guess.

Agreed. I'd go with Jim's because
by Irish Tool  (2017-09-12 11:38:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think a 13yo from TN would get a kick out of South Street.

Too bad Zipperheads is gone.
by ksqdomer  (2017-09-13 09:50:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that would be some Tennessee culture shock.

Roast pork at Tony Luke's is outstanding, all good advise
by discNDav  (2017-09-12 11:35:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Listed above.

also, roast pork at Dinic's in Reading Terminal Market *
by TheGeneral  (2017-09-12 11:37:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder if Allu will mention Walter's *
by captaineclectic  (2017-09-12 11:21:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just seeing this now, and yes, Walters in Mamaroneck, NY
by Allumeuse  (2017-09-13 08:33:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CE missed a turn on the highway the other day when we wanted to go to Walter's and I still haven't forgiven him. That is how much I love Walters.

Rawley's Drive-In or Super Duper Weenie, Fairfield, CT
by Wooderson  (2017-09-12 11:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Easy access off of I-95, amazing food at both (partial to Rawley's, as is Martha Stewart) and you can't beat the price, the taste, or the ambiance.

CT has a whole trail of Diners/Drive-Ins/Dives off of CT Rt 25. Worth a google. The ones up 25 are a bit out of the way, but you could make a go of it by taking 25 north from Bridgeport, CT, hitting a few stops, and continuing on to I-84 which takes you to I-90 and I-495 (circles around Boston and gets you to Maine faster).

Thanks...
by 570tosb  (2017-09-12 11:22:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to work at a summer camp in the Catskills during college and loved doing drives through CT on days off. I haven't been back to that area (other than NYC) since then and am looking forward to it. I appreciate your input. And who doesn't want a super duper weenie?