My Maui recs
by TMCT (2024-04-27 08:02:12)

In reply to: Maui Recommendations  posted by IrishSpo

We just went 2 yrs ago today..

Iao Valley was a short, but very accessible and awesome hike and one of the coolest places I've seen anywhere. We hiked up through the river a little and my kids swam in a rock pool. Not a hike but if you like waterfalls there's a good one maybe an hour into Road to Hana - you'll see jeeps parked on side of road and people jumping off a 12 ft or so waterfall. The Waihe’e Ridge Trail hike is pretty steep and has awesome views if skies are clear - but gets muddy and has almost no views if clouds close in.

We stayed in Wailea and tried to go snorkeling at a cove towards Makena 5 mins down the road. It was choppy with poor visibility and we left, and pretty sure someone was shark bait there last year. Makena Beach itself was really nice. Molokini was really cool - I'd advise taking one of the bigger boats to avoid chop on way back in.

Surfing is tough on Maui. There are beginner classes in Kaanapali but often little/no waves and some of the better breaks are pretty far offshore near Mama's fish house or up against rocks on the Kapalua side.

There's a food truck called Ono Tacos which burnt down in the fire but apparently reopened. The owner was incredibly nice on both of our visits, and tacos were legit.

If you're staying at Wailea Beach Club and aren't Marriott platinum try to get status ASAP (through credit card, etc) b/c the breakfast perks are really good at Whale's Tail.